• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Lighter Weight, Lower Power E-MTB?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do any exist? Mrs. K. got a nice, light Orbea Gain this summer, and it has made riding together double the fun, since it allows her to keep up on the hills, while still getting a damn good workout.

And, when she rides alone, she has become a speed demon, stating simply "Why shouldn't I use full boost? Going fast is fun, and I can always find a longer hill here if I want one."

Just returning from a quick mtb scouting trip to McCall, Idaho (highly recommended), it is clear that the same kind of joy would occur if we could find her a light weight, light assist e-mtb, but my beginner-level interweb searching has turned up nothing similar to the Orbea Gain.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
La Pierre's E-Zesty with the Fuzea motor. Review HERE. 18.4 Kg. / 40lb. I am not sure of US distribution though.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
La Pierre's E-Zesty with the Fuzea motor. Review HERE. 18.4 Kg. / 40lb. I am not sure of US distribution though.

Exactly the approach we're looking for. The Fazua motor system is great.

Now, if we could get Lapierre to:

1. Make a 130 mm version (Mrs. K has no need for the bulk of a Fox 36 fork!),

2. Make it in a size small, and

3. Sell bikes in the USA again.

We've got our fingers crossed that Lapierre or somebody comes through with something by next spring!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Exactly the approach we're looking for. The Fazua motor system is great.
This is what I am looking for too, 40lb-ish. Smaller, lighter motor. The Fuzua motor looks really cool, we saw it last year at Interbike.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lapierre option appears to be a dead end.

My email to their USA distributor got bounced back.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you tried the Canadian lot?

Great idea. Their CD website is full of "stay tuned" messages and no mtbs, but I pinged them anyway.

Thanks!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Buy a bike out of Yurp? Lower wattage motors common on ebikes.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Going back to our discussions of where some of us think E mtb's should go, in Phils E mtb Wow thread..

Anyone see the new Specialized Levo SL. 9lbs lighter, half the power, rides like a mtn bike! I hope that trend takes off.
Maybe they will keep going and drop another 9lbs and just do the 100 watt assist so many people would love!
Cheers!
W

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I recently assembled a Bafang 750 plus Watt e-bike with a large capacity battery pack.
Based on a GT steel frame hardtail with Noleen front forks.
Fitted with mud fenders, metal rear rack and textile panniers, it weighs in at 53.4 lbs.

What I want is for ME to loose 10#, Not the bike ! ;-)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here they test the LEvo SL and compare it to the older, lighter weight ones like lapierrre:

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Slim, I pulled that link up, it tested the Kenovo with other non e mtb's. different link. The kenevo is the opposite of the sl, heavier longer more power.
Cal G, I do believe there is a little conflict of ideas in your your last sentence... :).
Cheers!
W

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone see the new Specialized Levo SL. 9lbs lighter, half the power, rides like a mtn bike! I hope that trend takes off.

This is the direction I'm looking for. Unfortunately for Mrs. Kosmo, the size small is pretty unsuitable for anybody under 5'4" or even 5'6".

Her Liv Intrigue E+ 1 Pro arrived Friday. Should be built up and ready to take home Tuesday. Not a lightweight, but sized perfectly for her 5'2" frame. She is STOKED!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Slim, I pulled that link up, it tested the Kenovo with other non e mtb's. different link. The kenevo is the opposite of the sl, heavier longer more power.
Cal G, I do believe there is a little conflict of ideas in your your last sentence... :).
Cheers!
W

Wade
You are absolutely right. What I meant to say is I want to gain 10# of muscle mass and hope the e- bike will help . ;-)

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester

New one in this small niche I hope keeps growing, Maybe e bikers are realizing that a little boost in a bike that feels more like a mt bike is good thing as I had hoped. I won't buy one, but I have recommended to a couple friends who use e mtb's to be able to ride w/ friends who are younger/fitter.

This orbea looks like it could be a good time.
Cheers!
W

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem with small batteries, which you need for light weight, is that you don't have a lot of range.

My wife weighs 135lbs and rides a haibike nduro, 180 mm travel.

No issues whatsoever with the 52 lbs weight.

And i don't see why your wife doesn't need more travel. It makes everything more fun and easier.

Reminds of the two guys i meet yesterday when they were demoing e bikes.

One: the bike doesn't stop like my cross country bike, takes longer. His e bike had 4 piston brakes getting and rear 203mm rotors.
Impossible that with this breaking power you can can't brake fast enough. He also said:

I don't like the 150 travel, i prefer my 120, because when i roll over big rocks i get pitched forward. Really?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

New one in this small niche I hope keeps growing, Maybe e bikers are realizing that a little boost in a bike that feels more like a mt bike is good thing as I had hoped. I won't buy one, but I have recommended to a couple friends who use e mtb's to be able to ride w/ friends who are younger/fitter.

This orbea looks like it could be a good time.
Cheers!
W

I would totally buy that bike. Seems made to order for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The problem with small batteries, which you need for light weight, is that you don't have a lot of range.
Offer batteries in two sizes. 350-400w and 750w. Smaller/Lighter one for short rides, bigger for longer rides. If I plan in just a 15-20 mile ride, am I going to take 5 gallons of water to drink? No, so why would I need a heavier battery with a 40 miles range?

Sponsor

Staff online