• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liftopia forced into bankruptcy

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Have you seen the price at which resorts sell half day tickets in the US? At Vail/Beaver Creek it might bring the window rate down to $199? A notional saving only because they know most customers don't ski longer than 4 hours.

Chamonix resorts used to do a relatively pro-rata priced 4 hour ticket. Don't think I ever bought a full day pass, upload, ski yourself out, squeeze through the barrier for your last uplift just before expiry then leisurely lunch/afternoon break and a ski down.

If there are capacity limits I can see selling tickets in 3.5 hour windows at 65% of day rate being a good way of filling capacity at a premium without looking too "gougey".

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Berkshire East has been selling a block-of-time pass since they put in RFID, and it is entirely based on when you first scan, not a prearranged schedule.
Stevens Pass did that as well before VR purchased the resort. You had the option of a 4 hour pass from first scan, or an all day pass (9am to 10pm).

I could see using the RFID system for designated ski times, maybe even with advance reservations, as long as there are able to be flexible with traffic impacted by weather conditions, or the lot being full and having to get shuttled in.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My feeling is right idea but when the resorts control pricing why let yourself be undercut? I believe the anti-competition word is “price fixing”.

Question becomes prove it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Always thought Liftopia's consumer proposition was kinda niche (not that there isn't money in niches but you need to keep your scale and overhead proportionate to make that money). So I assumed that there was a lot more back end money to be made in running resorts online ticketing/ data analytics.

But it makes perfect sense that a wider travel booking engine could be just if not more effective.
I'm with you.
My view, the niche business has to make their smallness an asset rather than a liability, so they have to offer something "extra" or special specific for that client, usually in the customer service aspects. E.g. More dedicated account reps; more flexibility, ability to whitelabel or some customizations, or data/reports, or even just direct access to a human.

Liftopia being only being ski resorts I assume they were able to sell that aspect of "skiers for ski resorts" to leverage that small niche-ness. You can't win on pure price and scale because you're already behind the big engines; you'll need to provide opposite of scale and try to make your money using "premium" tailored offerings. (so golfnow should split to an independent skinow.com so as not to impact or give the perception that they are cannibalizing their core operation)

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Shuttle being another venue of increased virus transmission...
No doubt, which is another reason I will only go to Stevens this season on weekdays when parking is ample, if I go there at all. Baker is looking better and better.....

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am pretty sure that in the past Sun Peaks' up to 40% off online purchased tickets was thru Liftopia. This season Sun Peaks has joined the Mountain Collective and with MC suing Liftopia, MC's own online ticket software was likely part of the attraction for SP to get on board with MC.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Liftopia has been acquired and as a result has received funds to pay to settle the claims according to an email by Liftopia's CEO. No word on who bought them. I would not be surprised if there is a CEO change at Liftopia following this move as well in the near future.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lol the saga continues! Clarification though: not acquired yet, just Letter of Intent.

There's always the chance to that the due diligence uncovers more shady accounting and the acquisition then falls through, as this whole fiasco stems from shady accounting. Usually with straight up deals the parties are announced straightaway on signing, to get buzz and fanfare and paying for press releases to announce it far and wide. Here its secret buyer and keeping it a bit on the downlow.

I assume the reason why the buyer is not named yet, is both they want to see what they're actually buying first, but also not to be a reference should it fall through. This prevents the next mark (i mean next buyer) from knowing who to ask why BuyerA backed out and potentially missing a clue or detail, and then falling for the scam.

Just my take, reading between the lines, perhaps a little bit too deeply.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online