• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lift tickets

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
In prev posts I mentioned it's been ~12 years since the last ski trip. Curious how lift tickets are used nowadays. All I've ever seen are the kind where you attach a sticker to a piece of wire threaded thru some piece of clothing. My new-to-me ski jacket (of questionable vintage) has a clear pocket that can be used, but new jackets don't have them (at least the ones I have seen). I was reading something abt RFID being used but not sure if that has actually been widely implemented (if at all).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends where you're skiing. A few places still have the stickers. Some have a plastic card that had a bar code to scan. And many now have RFID cards that either open a gate or get hand scanned.

Where are you planning to ski?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have both Epic and Ikon Passes. I have my Ikon Pass on a lanyard because it will be hand scanned at the lower lifts at some resorts I visit, and for others I need to get it scanned at guest services in order to be issued an old fashioned day lift ticket with a with wire wicket, that goes on a zipper on my jacket (subsequently removed at the end of the day). BTW experienced travelers like @KingGrump keep a small wire cutter in their boot bag to do this kind of thing. Otherwise I have both an arm band that I can use or a goggle strap pass holder to display the pass, if the pass needs to be scanned by a hand scanner.

My Epic Pass is in the ski pass pocket of my jacket as the hand scanners can pick up the pass through a layer of clothing.

Most larger resorts use either RFID or optical scanners that can be used either on season passes or day tickets. Mid-sized resorts are getting there as well, smaller or out of the way resorts might use day tickets rather than some type of media card.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The RFIDs work well in a chest or pant pocket. Don't have more than one RFID card with you. Don't keep it in the same pocket as a phone, credit cards, or other RFID cards. I carry a Gerber tool to cut the wickets so I can put them in my "I've been there" pile. Most smaller areas still use wickets or a hand scanner in which case the ticket or pass needs to be accessible.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends where you're skiing. A few places still have the stickers. Some have a plastic card that had a bar code to scan. And many now have RFID cards that either open a gate or get hand scanned.

Where are you planning to ski?

Also, some are printed on a strong weather resistant paper then attached with a zip tie. For these there is usually a perforated part that you should tear off and put in a secure pocket. If somehow you lose your ticket they will replace it only if you have that stub.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, some are printed on a strong weather resistant paper then attached with a zip tie. For these there is usually a perforated part that you should tear off and put in a secure pocket. If somehow you lose your ticket they will replace it only if you have that stub.
I forgot about those. I got them at Lee Canyon and AZ Snowbowl. The metal wicket was at Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Sun Valley gives you a credit card like RFD card on a lanyard the first day that reloads of your credit card after that. Don't like that one too much good luck on finding out how much a day pass actually costs though. Tried a couple times and was treated like 'how gauche '.

HILL WAS WORTH IT THOUGH.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow, sounds like it not really standardized.
We're going to Alpine Valley in Wisconsin.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can find just about all lift ticket info and prices at the ski resort's website. A google search can also probably find you any discounts available.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know what AV uses. But many hills in the Midwest still use paper tickets and wickets. A few use RFID, which is a joy when the darn card doesn't read very well.

Season passes are usually plastic cards that you would put in your clear pocket. If the hill doesn't use RFID.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Put your RFID ticket in the zippered pocket on your left hand glove. When approaching the lift, reach forward with your left hand and pass it directly against the RFID reader at the gate. The gate will swing open before you even lose momentum.

This is a free public service anouncement from @pchewn

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Put your RFID ticket in the zippered pocket on your left hand glove. When approaching the lift, reach forward with your left hand and pass it directly against the RFID reader at the gate. The gate will swing open before you even lose momentum.

I prefer to use the pocket up high on my left arm so I can stand there like an idiot flailing my arm around till the gate opens.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm not sure this works at Squaw or Alpine. It's like they have a delay or something. BEEP! wait for it wait for it...OPEN! You'll also find the one gate that isn't as sensitive as the others. Nothing nothing nothing nothing beep!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Some locations have one RFID chip for season pass holders and a different one for daily guests. I have seen a separate gate for those season pass holders and the gate doesn't work for the daily folks. That's good on crowded days for shortening the lift lines.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"The RFIDs work well in a chest or pant pocket. " LEFT Pocket. The sensors are always on the left part of the turnstile. I've been to a few resorts that have hand-held dual scanners that are both optical and RFID.

Some of the RFID turnstiles (many in Europe) have a timer built in. After you scan and get the beep & the turnstile opens, you need to pass through within a few seconds or you're locked out for a few minutes. I guess this prevents someone from scanning, going through, then slipping his pass to his buddy behind him. So...don't scan until there's space in front of you so you can get through the turnstile.

Don't put your old style ticket on a zipper pull. Sometimes the ticket causes the pull to break off (happened to me). One good place for the ticket to attach is the exposed adjustment loop of elastic cord around the bottom of a parka that some parkas have.

One day skiing at Obergurgl (near Sölden) a dad & son were in front of us in the line. Dad went through the single turnstile, then the cute little guy tried and tried to jump high enough to get his ticket in front of the scanner. He tried three or four times then finally just ducked under. "A" for effort.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Alpine Valley in Wisconsin is a sister resort to the resort that I teach at and we use the sticky backed tickets on a wicket. My hunch would be that Alpine uses the same.

Sponsor

Staff online