• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Lift Ticket Prices Rise 12% in California

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wonder what the pass skier days is, my guess they are up more than the 14% that the say passes are down.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At the risk of getting another scowl emoji, I'll say that ticket prices are way too high. The worry is to the long term future of the sport. How many college kids can afford to try skiing? Having recently spent the weekend at the SDSU waterski team's snow ski weekend, I saw this play out firsthand with too many kids not going out onto the slopes for financial reasons. Is losing the casual skiers good for the sport?

On the other hand, the kids who did buy tickets stayed out all day. They skied more hours than the passholders. Gotta get the money's worth out of that expensive ticket. Maybe those kids got hooked and will buy passes next year and ski for life?

On another note, we bought three day passes in Japan for less than one Squaw window pass. Europe prices were reasonable when we went there a while ago. International visits might not be important to ski resorts but discouraging them (with what looks to them like ripoff ticket prices) can't hurt overall profitability.

I do love the passes. They are reasonable value, encourage one to just go skiing, end the morning ticket hassle (good for both skiers and the resort) and encourage travel to other places. All good! Hopefully those stay reasonable.

At Big Bear, where they physically scan every ticket every run with an operator handheld reader (so I could see what passes were used), a huge majority of the skiers were on the Icon pass. Skier visits may not be down as much as ticket sales indicate (if at all).

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At the risk of getting another scowl emoji, I'll say that ticket prices are way too high. The worry is to the long term future of the sport. How many college kids can afford to try skiing? Having recently spent the weekend at the SDSU waterski team's snow ski weekend, I saw this play out firsthand with too many kids not going out onto the slopes for financial reasons. Is losing the casual skiers good for the sport?

On the other hand, the kids who did buy tickets stayed out all day. They skied more hours than the passholders. Gotta get the money's worth out of that expensive ticket. Maybe those kids got hooked and will buy passes next year and ski for life?

On another note, we bought three day passes in Japan for less than one Squaw window pass. Europe prices were reasonable when we went there a while ago. International visits might not be important to ski resorts but discouraging them (with what looks to them like ripoff ticket prices) can't hurt overall profitability.

I do love the passes. They are reasonable value, encourage one to just go skiing, end the morning ticket hassle (good for both skiers and the resort) and encourage travel to other places. All good! Hopefully those stay reasonable.

At Big Bear, where they physically scan every ticket every run with an operator handheld reader (so I could see what passes were used), a huge majority of the skiers were on the Icon pass. Skier visits may not be down as much as ticket sales indicate (if at all).

Eric
You are correct, but this is not a California problem..it is an (U.S.) industry problem.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are correct, but this is not a California problem..it is an (U.S.) industry problem.

True!

Just in New England - Vermont ticket prices rose an average of 7% for the 2018-19 season compared to the 2017-18 season. New Hampshire ticket prices rose an average of 9% for the 2018-19 season compared to the 2017-18 season. Massachusetts ticket prices rose an average of 3% for the 2018-19 season compared to the 2017-18 season.

But keep in mind these are window ticket prices. As we all know, going to the window to buy a lift ticket is like going to the airline counter at the airport to buy a ticket for a flight later that day. One could not pick a more expensive way to buy a ticket. The average ticket yield is about 48% – meaning this is how much of the walk-up price skiers are actually paying, or put anotherr way, how much resorts actually hope to make per lift ticket.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
very true, even for the destination skier, at a minimum, if they bundle lodging they can find ski+stay promos, or other bundled discount tickets to purchase.

Even up to checkin, the majority of slopeside places I've checked into, that's one of the questions they ask at the desk, do you have your lift tickets or rentals sorted? if not, we can take care of that at good discount for you over window rates.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In western Canada the most expensive walk up day lift ticket at resorts not named Whistler is $105CDN which is about $75-80 US. Some are less than $90CDN.

Ski rentals are a lot cheaper than the in the USA as well with top of the line demo skis going for $45CDN or less from on mountain demo shops.

Still most Americans who ski in Canada only go to Whistler where they can line up (often in the rain) and overpay for everything.:nono:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The average ticket yield is about 48% – meaning this is how much of the walk-up price skiers are actually paying, or put anotherr way, how much resorts actually hope to make per lift ticket.

This is interesting and I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere before. Does this include an imputed yield per visit by season pass holders? Certainly one won’t find day passes available at PCMR for 48% of the window price or anything approaching that.

Sponsor

Staff online