• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Liberty V76 (2018-2019)

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally agree. The thing makes me nervous. I was hoping to recommend this as a Rally killer, but the tip makes it too hard snow oriented.
I haven't skied it, skied the 82 with a hopeless tune.

Are you hoping the tip on the V76 was more Latigo shaped/oriented for such a narrow ski ?
Or at 76 width, is not hard snow oriented enough ?

James

Out There
Instructor
Are you hoping the tip on the V76 was more Latigo shaped/oriented for such a narrow ski ?
Or at 76 width, is not hard snow oriented enough ?
It's the curve up, that's all. Remember the Rossi CX80 ? Those were low profile tips. Very similar.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been on the V76 171 a little now in the Midwest. Nice ripper ski and as all the Liberty skis, sturdy construction. The kid was on it and had lots of fun on it too. A new carver ski for us.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Enter the Evolv. Part Origin, part VMT. Very nice. It's only in 90 and 100 so the 76 and 82 VMT will still be on their own but the 92 now has a stablemate or two.
And now we have the Evolv84 and Evolv110.
well.... lets talk about the Evol. Its not really a blend of the origin and V-series. Its really a whole different ski. It is a charger with slightly more rocker than the V-series but it has little in common with the Origin which is a fun, snappy but easy ski with considerably more rocker. I love the Origin 90 & 96 (and cant wait to ski the new 106) but the Evol 90 & 100 are much more serious, with much more 'uummph". In my conversations with Liberty, they are marketing this ski against the other chargers, Nordi 100, M5, Bonafide. I was really impressed with the Evol 100 most. It's a charger but still has enough flex and feel to make it more fun and slightly easier than the competition. I will be picking up one next fall as my charger in addition to my V92. Its that much of a difference that you can own both and not overlap too much. I skied this after 3" was piled up and it shined, very smooth and stable but I didnt feel like I had to be on it every turn. really liked that ski. I had two favorites at SIA and this was one of them. skied the 179.

the Evolv 90 is closer to the V92 of course so if you like a more stout ski, (especially in the tail) go Evolv.
I’m really struggling with V82 vs. Evolv84 vs. Evolv90 vs. V92 for my frontside-biased ski in a 2SQ. I believe all would work, but I want the one that can take my carving to the next level while still offering some forgiveness in conditions other than hardpack and corduroy.

Crud and wet, heavy snow are just a part of life in our neck of the woods, so any "narrow" ski will have to be able to deal with it, at least in lesser amounts. My choice can be mitigated somewhat by choosing my "wide ski" wisely, as I can always just run my pow ski if stuff gets deep or thick. But I really want to be on my narrow ski as much as possible. Anyone have thoughts on these skis for my purposes?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And now we have the Evolv84 and Evolv110.

I’m really struggling with V82 vs. Evolv84 vs. Evolv90 vs. V92 for my frontside-biased ski in a 2SQ. I believe all would work, but I want the one that can take my carving to the next level while still offering some forgiveness in conditions other than hardpack and corduroy.

Crud and wet, heavy snow are just a part of life in our neck of the woods, so any "narrow" ski will have to be able to deal with it, at least in lesser amounts. My choice can be mitigated somewhat by choosing my "wide ski" wisely, as I can always just run my pow ski if stuff gets deep or thick. But I really want to be on my narrow ski as much as possible. Anyone have thoughts on these skis for my purposes?

I have the V82 as my hard snow ski in Colorado. What really surprised me is how much I like it in the bumps and crud. I've skied them more than I've skied my beloved Great Joys this season. That said, they are not true carving skis. With a fresh tune they perform great but they aren't a Stockli Laser SL which I still dream about after I rented a pair in Italy years ago. Some day I'll add them to my quiver.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the V82 as my hard snow ski in Colorado. What really surprised me is how much I like it in the bumps and crud. I've skied them more than I've skied my beloved Great Joys this season. That said, they are not true carving skis. With a fresh tune they perform great but they aren't a Stockli Laser SL which I still dream about after I rented a pair in Italy years ago. Some day I'll add them to my quiver.
Thanks … this is very useful information.

These skis could be just what I am looking for. Although my head is young and would really like a true, all-out carving machine from Stockli, Kastle or Fischer, my ass is old and I need something that is good on groomers but doesn't want to run straight down the hill at 40+. I just need to make sure it is good in crappy conditions because we get a lot of those here in Washington.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@coskigirl said it very well but I find even the V92 to carve very well. What I like is the versatility of the V series. I skied my V92's today and was in and out of 8-12" of broken fresh and back onto hero snow on the groomed. The ski just works well.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
@coskigirl said it very well but I find even the V92 to carve very well. What I like is the versatility of the V series. I skied my V92's today and was in and out of 8-12" of broken fresh and back onto hero snow on the groomed. The ski just works well.
Thanks. I am thinking of pairing a frontside-biased ski with a more playful, mid-range pow ski of 104-112 underfoot and am just not sure if I should go 82-84 or 90-92 underfoot and if Evolv or V Series fits me best.

I'm liking the Liberty Origin 106 or 112, Rossignol Soul 7 HD, K2 Mindbender 108 Ti, Salomon QST 106, DPS Foundation Wailer 106C2 or 112RP and Nordica Enforcer 110 Free so far as my #2 ski.

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
If you are going to have a wide 104-112, it makes a great deal of sense to have something in the 80-90 range for your narrow ski. An Origin 106 and V82 would be a fantastic combo...

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
If you are going to have a wide 104-112, it makes a great deal of sense to have something in the 80-90 range for your narrow ski. An Origin 106 and V82 would be a fantastic combo...
I am very much considering either V82, Evolv84 and Evolv90 paired with the Origin 106 for an all-around West Coast 2SQ. while my heart tells me I should get the V82 or Evolv84, my head says the Evolv90 may be the best choice. I am still open to suggestions!

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am very much considering either V82, Evolv84 and Evolv90 paired with the Origin 106 for an all-around West Coast 2SQ. while my heart tells me I should get the V82 or Evolv84, my head says the Evolv90 may be the best choice. I am still open to suggestions!

Buy your 80-90mm ski, but don't stress too much over precisely which one. I reckon most of the skis you're homing in on are going to be decent.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy your wider ski. Ski the narrow ski a bunch, i.e. really get to know the ski. Take some lessons to ensure you're tapping into the ski's performance. Explore its limits in terms of terrain, snow conditions, speed, etc.

Once you've done all that you'll be in a better position to demo some wider skis and select something that best compliments your narrower ski for the conditions you ski, and the way you ski them.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Buy your 80-90mm ski, but don't stress too much over precisely which one. I reckon most of the skis you're homing in on are going to be decent.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy your wider ski. Ski the narrow ski a bunch, i.e. really get to know the ski. Take some lessons to ensure you're tapping into the ski's performance. Explore its limits in terms of terrain, snow conditions, speed, etc.

Once you've done all that you'll be in a better position to demo some wider skis and select something that best compliments your narrower ski for the conditions you ski, and the way you ski them.
I took your advice. I decided on the Liberty Evolv90 in 186 and will buy it later this week.

I felt a “narrow” ski at the wider end of that spectrum will be the most versatile locally and should help me get into some different types of skiing other than groomers a bit more easily than something 84 or less underfoot.

Sponsor

Staff online