• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

We're excited to share the latest brand to be added to the selection on SkiEssentials.com, Liberty Skis! Liberty got its start back in 2003 and has helped push the progression of all mountain and freeride skis ever since. They are committed to bamboo as a core material and are still a relatively small company that's run by passionate skiers. Welcome on board, Liberty!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I still haven't been on Liberty skis, but a friend reps them and says good things.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a really good meeting with them at the show. The V-Line for next year looks really interesting.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been skiing the Liberty Origin 96 for 2-3 seasons now. My son has a pair and about 5 of my friends have them as well. Great all mountain ski that is "tenacious" and heavily rockered. It has the unusual ability to rip turns on groomers with the right tune (.5 base, 3 side) and ski deep snow very well due to its rocker. The tip always planes up no matter how deep the snow (3 feet is the deepest I have had it in). Its very light and lively, but not heavily damp and surprisingly stable at speed. The middle of the ski is very stiff and allows it to carve well on the shortened contact edge length.

It has become my daily driver for the East Coast and my go to tree ski. It is almost ideal for east coast trees because it is quick, light, can carve on boiler plate (with race tune) and floats when there is some powder in the trees. It fits my ex-racer style very well.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
Have had my origin 96s out in pure ice a few times now. Not sure I have ever been on a ski this wide that bites into ice so well. Not a super damp ski but it is insanely lively. Have thoroughly enjoyed them so far.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Just finished testing several different models at SIA... Details to follow but the V-Line skis are awesome and I had a blast on the 90 Origin. @dean_spirito was on a new 98 underfoot ski. Dean, which model were you on? The Liberty's were the biggest surprise to me at the show.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Just finished testing several different models at SIA... Details to follow but the V-Line skis are awesome and I had a blast on the 90 Origin. @dean_spirito was on a new 98 underfoot ski. Dean, which model were you on? The Liberty's were the biggest surprise to me at the show.

The Helix 98. Definitely one of my favorite skis from the show. Can't wait to write up the review!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Anyone who has skied Liberty's and ON3Ps? Only two manufacturers I know dedicated to full-bamboo cores. How do the feelings compare?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Have not skied the ON3P's but I from my understanding, they are built more for PNW "powder" and will be stiffer. The liberty's I tested aren't wimps but they had a bit fo ease to them; in a good way but when on edge, they stood up to speed and pressure. At the same time, they enter and exit turns easily. Again, not a vague feeling just easy. The VMT's are a much more serious ski. I could own a pair. I will most likely be an owner of the Origin 90.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just got an email about the Helix 98. that's a ski I might buy sight unseen. I had the original for years and loved it. What'd you like about the origin 90, Ron?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I just got an email about the Helix 98. that's a ski I might buy sight unseen. I had the original for years and loved it. What'd you like about the origin 90, Ron?

Fun poppy, energetic ski with a nice feel underfoot. I would get the 90 for just having fun anywhere on the mountain. @dean_spirito actually tested the Helix 98

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have owned a Origin 96, 187 cm for about 3 seasons now. I don't know how much the new one is different, but I can't imagine a drastic change. Anyway, I can share my opinion on the ski if you like. Assuming yes:

I find it a ski that needs to be dialed in to your tastes, but once dialed in, it works well as a one ski quiver. If you read Blister's review, I agree with all of it. I have mine set up with a 0.5, 3.0 base tune (race tune) and I detune the tips and tails back to the contact points (which is almost 8" in the tip). Doing this gives the ski very good grip underfoot and allows the ski to work well on very hard snow. You notice the shorter edge length (the ski is gripping underfoot, not much at the tips and tails) but since it is holding well who cares. Detuning the tips and tails allows the ski to pivot quite well, you can slide the tails out and the ski is very comfortable. The rocker and softish tips allow you to ride into, up and over, almost anything. You don't want to land hard on the middle of the ski, as it is very stiff and you get jolted, land tip first and things are smooth. The rocker and tip taper make this ski a pleasure in soft and deep snow. The tips plane up very well and you don't have to even think about tip dive in powder. The light weight allows the ski to be very flickable and you can move it around easily. It has become my ski for tight trees and confined spaces. It is also very stable at speed and has a very high top end. The tips do flap a small amount, but on the 187 cm I dont even notice it. The 182 cm length I think is the best performing ski of the various sizes and can handle up to about a 210 lb person. I am 240 so I sized up and it was right for me.

In general, the ski is light and pivotable due to its rocker. The tip does not pull you into a turn, but the edge hold is very good and the ski carves well. As good as it is on hardpack, it is better in soft snow due to the rocker. It is very stable at speed, but it gives a light and bouncy ride versus a very damped and smooth ride. You can ski it anyway you like and it will respond. It is not especially forgiving as the tails are reasonably stiff. I like it a lot everywhere and especially in tight trees and moguls. Other skis can be better in one area, but few can ski as well across the board. Its best performance is due to its light weight and heavy rockered tip and tail. Its not a front side carver, but it is a heck of an all mountain ski.

I skied it back to back with my Solomon X-drive 8.8 at Breckenridge last week. One day on the X-drive and 3 days on the Liberty. The X-drive was more damped and stable in the wind blown chalk upper bowls, but once I got lower and into the trees, I was really missing the Origins. The weight difference was really noticable and I didn't feel that what I gained on the X-drive was worth what I lost in the trees and moguls.

SteveR

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Helix 98 was one of my absolute favorites from the show. At $500 you really can't go wrong. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Otherwise, my full review should be posted within a week or two.
Looking forward to your review of the Helix 98. I am currently considering the Origin 96 on end of season sale as a potential replacement to my Fischer Big Stix 100s (great skis, ripped out an edge recently). Just saw the Helix 98 info trickling out and I'd love to hear more about the Helix 98 and how it compares to the Origin 96, especially as an east coast trees/powder/bumps/natural snow ski.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Looking forward to your review of the Helix 98. I am currently considering the Origin 96 on end of season sale as a potential replacement to my Fischer Big Stix 100s (great skis, ripped out an edge recently). Just saw the Helix 98 info trickling out and I'd love to hear more about the Helix 98 and how it compares to the Origin 96, especially as an east coast trees/powder/bumps/natural snow ski.

I didn't ski the Origin 96 so I can't offer a direct comparison, but I will submit my review of the Helix 98 very soon!

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Anyone know if the Genesis 106 is a well-loved ski? Found a great deal on them, but haven't tried them out...

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Anyone know if the Genesis 106 is a well-loved ski? Found a great deal on them, but haven't tried them out...

None of my fellow testers got on the 106 but I really liked the 3 different Libertys and I know @dean_spirito really liked the new 98. libertys do have more rocker than I prefer but they ski well with a nice solid feeling and have a nice blend of pop, energy and dampness. If you google the 106, you will see a lot fo positive reviews. For me it would def be a powder ski though especially with that much rocker.

Sponsor

Staff online