• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's Talk Glassware

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Recently I was in the market for some beer glasses. I'm a little bit of a traditionalist and ordered some of the English "nonic" pint glasses with the bulge. Along the way I discovered that a lot of people seem to like these Spiegelau IPA glasses. Took a peek and decided I didn't like the way they looked. Then I read YET MORE glowing reviews. So I ordered two. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they looked and felt better in person than the on-line photos made them look. So ... I'm a tentative convert. They definitely make the aroma more concentrated, and the feel in the hand is very nice.

Photo below is from tonight. #nofilter

We can talk wine glasses later, but the spoiler is that I am a huge fan of the Riedel "Veritas" series. If you haven't checked them out, you should. Beautiful, classic, and functional. And I'm not always a Riedel fanboy.

beerglass.jpeg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You know, I was a bottle-only guy for a long time. Hey, college meant beer drinking and at least you had SOME level of confidence that the beer bottle was clean..unlike the glass you were likely to get! Especially in some of Toronto's more nasty pubs like the Brunswick House. :eek: Then I helped move my brother to Bavaria way back and, well, it's been weissbier ever since. The glasses are numerous and all unique. I had a dozen of them but I'm to a few. My personal fave of course...

4661-15850-product_img_sb3.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad to say for me i don't greatly buy into the glass shape for various beverages. Yes I can agree it may help some but will use the limited shapes at hand. However if buying new I will consider options but typically will be happy with low end barware.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sad to say for me i don't greatly buy into the glass shape for various beverages. Yes I can agree it may help some but will use the limited shapes at hand. However if buying new I will consider options but typically will be happy with low end barware.
Yeah..you know, if it's glass, it's probably good enough. Most of the beers I drink now are 1/2 litre bottles so you do generally need a bigger glass. And there's room for generous head with the better glasses and they pour better. But in general, as long as it ain't plastic, I'm with ya! :D

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Glassware is so cheap, though. Even an expensive beer glass @$8.00 is no more than many a single draft of a local craft blah-de-blah, and lasts for years.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle!"

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glassware is so cheap, though. Even an expensive beer glass @$8.00 is no more than many a single draft of a local craft blah-de-blah, and lasts for years.

Space to store them is expensive though. I live in a 1 bedroom condo so space is a serious concern.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Space to store them is expensive though.

I'm always amazed when in Europe, in even the tiniest of establishments, that they are very proper about the glassware. Every beer gets its own branded glass, with whatever shape the powers above have deemed the correct one. You never get a beer served in a generic glass. I have no idea where they store all these glasses. They have to have hundreds ? thousands? on hand to service the many different beers.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Recently I was in the market for some beer glasses. I'm a little bit of a traditionalist and ordered some of the English "nonic" pint glasses with the bulge. Along the way I discovered that a lot of people seem to like these Spiegelau IPA glasses. Took a peek and decided I didn't like the way they looked. Then I read YET MORE glowing reviews. So I ordered two. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they looked and felt better in person than the on-line photos made them look. So ... I'm a tentative convert. They definitely make the aroma more concentrated, and the feel in the hand is very nice.

Photo below is from tonight. #nofilter

We can talk wine glasses later, but the spoiler is that I am a huge fan of the Riedel "Veritas" series. If you haven't checked them out, you should. Beautiful, classic, and functional. And I'm not always a Riedel fanboy.

View attachment 29404
I have some of those, and I like them, but I like my Ittala (sic) modern tulip-shaped glasses even better. It is all about concentrating the aroma.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm always amazed when in Europe, in even the tiniest of establishments, that they are very proper about the glassware. Every beer gets its own branded glass, with whatever shape the powers above have deemed the correct one. You never get a beer served in a generic glass. I have no idea where they store all these glasses. They have to have hundreds ? thousands? on hand to service the many different beers.

Apparently we visit different places in Europe.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a confession to make. I steal pint glasses from bars. My cabinets are full of any glass I found to be interesting or cool or that has the logo of a brew I really liked.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I used to keep Maker's Mark in one of these Waterford decanters. Never figured out what happened to it after I moved out and left it at my parent's house in 1999.. Dad probably used it until he fell ill and then it probably got donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army when mom sold the house which is fine. No room for expensive, fragile ornamental stuff in the current home.

57645313519560p

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have a confession to make. I steal pint glasses from bars. My cabinets are full of any glass I found to be interesting or cool or that has the logo of a brew I really liked.
Easy to do when packing up after a gig..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread pleases me.