• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd agree, but I'm not sure if whiskey or Game of Thrones is being desecrated.
There are eight more of them. One for each season and all from well loved Scottish Distilleries, paired with a house of Westeros & the Night's Watch. They are very spendy but definitely on my wish list.
GOT_comp_1600-1240x696.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the ideas guys. Macallan it is! @Tony S i like your idea about the glasses. Instead, I can make him some ceramic tumblers. I’ve been playing around with handbuilding squarish tumblers out of clay. I’ve glazed them in ways too weird for my step dad. Good thing we won’t be exchanging gifts until Jan. Gives me time to make more normal looking ones.

@Pat AKA mustski ...I think he likes got and would love this, but no Costco membership for me. Wonk wonk.

K
I like the idea of home made clay for a sentimental purpose, but a real scotch glass where you can see the "legs" of the scotch is really nice.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m not even a scotch fan, but after looking at all those links and reading the descriptions, I kinda want to go out and splurge on a bottle for myself. I have zero self control.
One of my favorites in a modest price point is the Auchentoshan American Oak.
At 40.00 its really nice and a mild way to start enjoying scotch.

Reactions: Ogg
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like the idea of home made clay for a sentimental purpose, but a real scotch glass where you can see the "legs" of the scotch is really nice.
@Pumba here is a video that describes this.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Pumba here is a video that describes this.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just wanted to update you with my final choice. After quizzing more conossiures, including a bartender at an upscale place, I went with a Balvenie 14.

Step dad better appreciate it. If not, I’ll drink it!
Tahoe friends - you are all welcome to come over for a taste! We will be in Truckee week of Jan 14....

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
Macallan is my all-time fav but Tomatin at about half the cost is a close second. Give it a try!

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Macallan is my all-time fav but Tomatin at about half the cost is a close second. Give it a try!

If it's similar to Macallan, I will! Lately been into Monkey Shoulder. Very approachable. More than the single malts I usually like.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If I put a jigger of Scotch, and a jigger of Bourbon, and a jigger of Whisky into a glass (with one ice)

Is the result a whisky on a rock?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I put a jigger of Scotch, and a jigger of Bourbon, and a jigger of Whisky into a glass (with one ice)

Is the result a whisky on a rock?
Not sure about that, but mostly I'm not sure I'd mix bourbon and scotch, depending on the blend of either of them.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a whiskey connoisseur. Enjoy scotch. Bourbon more rarely. (I don't like American Oak.)

What do people think about boutique distilleries sourcing some or all of their whiskey from MGP? (Came across this while reading about High West products.)

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a whiskey connoisseur. Enjoy scotch. Bourbon more rarely. (I don't like American Oak.)

What do people think about boutique distilleries sourcing some or all of their whiskey from MGP? (Came across this while reading about High West products.)

I think as much about it as contract brewers for beer: :drool: If I'm seeking independent, artisanal goods, and they can't be bothered to make their own stuff then don't market it to me as "small batch", or whatever adjective they want to use.

Sponsor