• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Most days: Weller.
Good days: Weller 12.
Scotch days: Anything overly peaty (Laphroig etc.)
Really good days: Peach Street bourbon. (Just went to their fun little tasting room in Grand Junction yesterday for the first time.)

The best brown liquor though?

The 4oz of Bullet Rye I just chugged after a harrowing drive starting in Grand Junction, waiting out Vail pass to open, snow covered/windblown and busy from Vail to Dumont. Not a good drive to not have my snow-van for.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I see some Colorado people that we need to invite over for a drink when we're visiting. ;)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My mom was a Hamilton. For scotch, I like arbrelour. Also mclellands islay. Cheap and good.

High west distillery in PC has a some good rye whiskey, worth checking out.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My dad drank Canadian blends, so that is where I started. I really don't like Scotch, because of an unfortunate, um, experience in high school. My friend Jon turned me on to bourbon, and that is where I have stayed... About 10 years ago, I found that there was a preponderance of bourbons in the $25-30, and it was fun to try different types. Being the creature of habit that I am (and looking for consistent, perhaps ultimately, boring flavors), I now tend to stick to Eagle Rare, Bulliet, and Buffalo Trace. I surely like Blantons, but I am too cheap to buy it as my 'house bourbon'... The taste and preference is rather subjective -- I know people that find Eagle Rare pedestrian, and I know people that prefer the lower end George Dickel. Another friend has been to number of tastings and finds Pappy Van Winkle to be nothing special, until you get the really expensive bottles...

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I don't drink liquor unless it's brown. My thoughts after much trial and error over a fairly long period of time:

Everyday rye: Bulleitt - impossible to beat at the price point.

Special occasion rye: Thirteenth Colony or High West Double or Campfire (choice depends on the season).

Everyday non-bourbon: George Dickel No. 8 TN Whisky.

Everyday bourbon: Bulleitt. Again, hard to beat at the price point.

Special occasion bourbon: Jefferson's Reserve, Blanton's (still working on the full set of stoppers), or Col. E.H. Taylor.

Everyday Scotch: Glenfiddich 10. I don't think this is bottled anymore, but not positive.

Special occasion scotch: Whatever someone else bought. I spend on rye and bourbon, not scotch.

Biggest disappointment for me: Jefferson's Ocean. Didn't live up to hype for me and didn't like the taste. The $70 price tag for the small bottle didn't help.

Honorable mention for taste vs. price, i.e. great value: Redemption Rye and Eagle Rare 10 year.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Biggest disappointment for me: Jefferson's Ocean. Didn't live up to hype for me and didn't like the taste. The $70 price tag for the small bottle didn't help.

Oh, I'm sorry to see that, it's on my list to try. The place in Arvada that I mentioned above has it so at least I'd only be buying it by the ounce there. I tried their Birthday at Thanksgiving time (in the Portland airport of all places) and enjoyed that but wouldn't spend on a full bottle.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Oh, I'm sorry to see that, it's on my list to try.

I'd put the Angel's Envy Rye in the same ballpark. Really didn't like it at all - probably due to the rum cask finish or whatever they do. Their regular bourbon was better to my taste. At those prices though, I much prefer other options. Pretty bottle though.

Managed to get a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year for very good price, so I grabbed it. Liked it, but don't think I'd buy it again.

If I didn't fear cancellation of my life insurance, I'd post up a pic of my brown liquor "quiver."

Reactions: Ron

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
This is all you get for now. That's 2 gallon, in stainless steel, sitting in my office guest chair. As far as you know, it's empty. Not surprising, given that I had to leave Steamboat on a storm day.

flask.jpg

skidding

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm partial to Scotch these days and have been enjoying a Kirkland option that we found at Costco.
I know @Bobalooski has a palate for good whiskey and scotch, and @bbinder has a taste for bourbon, and @pais alto (dammit bob its hard to remember how to spell your pugski name)

Just realized that I called out three bobs on this thread, but I'm sure many more of you have something to say about your favorite brown beverage.
of course, as any Scotsman will tell you, if there is an E in it, it is not real whisky!

I refer to my whisky as "we ski", and have for years.

Sponsor

Staff online