• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
50 gallons .... I'd be dead! :)
I hope not and that is 50 gallons for the entire year. That is about 17 oz per day, l guess that is a lot.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope not and that is 50 gallons for the entire year. That is about 17 oz per day, l guess that is a lot.

guess if one has a big family or lots of friends!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long time lurker, first time poster (that I can remember) to this thread.... [Thanks for all the suggestions :-]

It's a warm day and the sky just turned dark and rumbling, and somehow a Mint Julip came to mind.... Oh well, and attempt with the things on hand.... IMG_20200623_164538.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm rocking this lately and for the $$, it's not bad at all:

1592958081870.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long time lurker, first time poster (that I can remember) to this thread.... [Thanks for all the suggestions :-]

It's a warm day and the sky just turned dark and rumbling, and somehow a Mint Julip came to mind.... Oh well, and attempt with the things on hand.... View attachment 105062
We have a mint patch and and some Bulliet bourbon. That is a delightful idea.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

It's a warm day and the sky just turned dark and rumbling, and somehow a Mint Julip came to mind.... Oh well, and attempt with the things on hand....

My significant other does this as she has mint and other herbs planted... Saturday was the Belmont. With the Durby out in Sept ... there is time to practice and perfect one's Julip!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Johnny come lately here but ... Did anyone ever mention the problem with the thread title? It's like saying, "irons, drivers, and clubs."

:duck:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Uncle-A

Skier
Johnnie Walker in Paper ...... interesting

maybe meaning I'd have to drink it faster ?
If the bottle is biodegradable, you have to finish it before the bottle self destruct. But is that really a problem?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Johnnie Walker in Paper ...... interesting

maybe meaning I'd have to drink it faster ?
Their reasoning for using these bottles doesn't really make sense. The article says they want to use less plastic but what is the paper bottle going to be lined with? It also claims it's recyclable but paper bonded with plastic is definitely not recyclable.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Their reasoning for using these bottles doesn't really make sense. The article says they want to use less plastic but what is the paper bottle going to be lined with? It also claims it's recyclable but paper bonded with plastic is definitely not recyclable.
Don't worry, it's magic!
From the link:
"The bottles will be sprayed internally with coatings that are designed not to interact with the drinks they will contain.

Many cartons made out of paper have a plastic coating inside to stop the drinks leaking out. Diageo, however, said its drinks bottles will not have that plastic coating."

Hmmm... maybe the key word is "that". It's a different plastic coating.

Reactions: Ogg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't had a scotch a while and was in the mood for the past coulpe of nights. Normally we have a bottle of the Kirkland 1.75L ($37.99) in the house but I guess we were out. Then I found a bottle of McCallan 12 Year old in the cabinet. Boy that did the job and satisfied the craving.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Need advice for a whisky: I know very little of whiskey/bourbon/Scotch but am often sent to the market whilst on ski trips with little guidance from the whisky drinkers in my group. What would you recommend as a safe bet everyone enjoys and is mass-produced enough to be commonly found in stores across the Rockies/Sierras? Something expensive enough so I don’t look like a miser, yet good value so I’m not wasting too much money on something I will likely not drink. Oh the stress of choosing bottle. Thank you :)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Need advice for a whisky: I know very little of whiskey/bourbon/Scotch but am often sent to the market whilst on ski trips with little guidance from the whisky drinkers in my group. What would you recommend as a safe bet everyone enjoys and is mass-produced enough to be commonly found in stores across the Rockies/Sierras? Something expensive enough so I don’t look like a miser, yet good value so I’m not wasting too much money on something I will likely not drink. Oh the stress of choosing bottle. Thank you :)
For bourbon: Eagle Rare, Basil Haydens, Michter's are all good for about $40. Breckenridge and Tin Cup are also good and are both made in CO. Woodford's and Knob Creek are also popular. I'm not really a fan of either of their bourbons but I like the Knob Creek Rye.
For scotch...I'll let someone with more experience lead you down that rabbit hole. :beercheer:

ETA: High West Distillery in Park City also makes some great whiskies. My favorite from the ones I've tried is Campfire which is a blend of bourbon, scotch and rye if you want to try something different.

Uncle-A

Skier
If you want a good but not too pretentious scotch, you can stick with Johnny Walker Black Label. Most stores will have it and if anyone complains about it tell them next time you go pick up the scotch.