• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This has a distinct apple flavor without being too sweet. I tried it a while ago and liked it but could never find it again until I stumbled onto a tasting this evening. They changed the bottle but the taste was unmistakable. IMG_0459.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Drinking Basil Haydens from a Stranahans glass.
Still tastes like Basil Haydens...for the win

IMG_1503.JPG.jpeg

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just looked at this thread and didn't read all 21 pages. Did anyone mention the fact that Rye whiskey and Sscotche whiskey use différent grains for their mash hence the différence in taste?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just looked at this thread and didn't read all 21 pages. Did anyone mention the fact that Rye whiskey and Sscotche whiskey use différent grains for their mash hence the différence in taste?
I've been to a few scotch and bourbon classes and have found that there are even bigger differences in different regions of scotch than you'd imagine. Different malts, different water, different peat.
The water from the sea gives some scotches a stronger iodine taste, while others lend to the clarity or smokiness.

Our local Total wine has some great classes
https://www.totalwine.com/special-event/bourbon-food-pairing/reno/nevada/e/ec521994
https://www.totalwine.com/class/sin...now-single-malt-scotch/reno/nevada/e/ec422431

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Something different. It's quite tasty. I'm not a big rum drinker but this has just enough rum taste. IMG_0503.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My local wine store is having a Mad River Distillery tasting (who I quite like) on Saturday and a Whistlepig (which I have mixed experience with ) on Sunday. Oh, and a wine tasting (Groth) too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 84029

Decisions, decisions...
Damn! How'd I miss this?

As for Phil and I... been doing a ton of extra work to help out at the shop for the holidays and...well...not enough bourbon in Kentucky for (fill in the blank)
The Widow Jane we had with you was good. A little departure from the norm, but very good.
I alway slike Eagle Rare and Basil Haydens. Lots of good après options there.

Reactions: Ogg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the patio tonight with a cigar and two fingers of Russell's reserve 10 year.

Life is good.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm at the store yesterday in hurry. Need to get home to watch the Hawkeyes play USC.

See a local distiller's new "maple" whiskey .. grab it while fetching some other needed game items....

Got home and decided to give a try ... only then upon pouring a rather thick bourbon that Cedar Ridge was bottling maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels ....it is pretty good.

1577551353046201391754887760535.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online