• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What do people think about boutique distilleries sourcing some or all of their whiskey from MGP?
I believe the Bulleit products come from MGP. I don't remember how they market it but it's pretty good stuff. In the long run, a good spirit for a good price trumps advertising or super special high priced stuff that is just average.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What do people think about boutique distilleries sourcing some or all of their whiskey from MGP? (Came across this while reading about High West products.)

As long as they are honest about it, I think it is OK.
This quote is from a press release last year about replacing some externally-sourced rye:

“We never have any plans of transitioning to High West own-make all by itself. We’re great blenders and we’re great producers here at High West Distillery. ... It’s really not about getting 100% to High West own-make."

And they also point out that a new distillery cannot start out selling their own 10 year-old product (unless they have really deep pockets and extreme patience). Whistle Pig tells a similar story. They made a big deal when they finally had an all-own-source blend. Unfortunately, it was not as good as their original purchased-stock blends.

I do wonder if some of the trend towards own-make whiskey is really because the originally-unwanted old stock at MGP is running out and going way up in price.

[From highwest.com, the sourcing for Rendevous Rye (my favorite of what I've tried, although there are lots out there I haven't):
A blend of older Straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 4 to 7 years.
95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP
80% rye, 20% malted rye from High West Distillery]

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as they are honest about it, I think it is OK.
This quote is from a press release last year about replacing some externally-sourced rye:

“We never have any plans of transitioning to High West own-make all by itself. We’re great blenders and we’re great producers here at High West Distillery. ... It’s really not about getting 100% to High West own-make."

And they also point out that a new distillery cannot start out selling their own 10 year-old product (unless they have really deep pockets and extreme patience). Whistle Pig tells a similar story. They made a big deal when they finally had an all-own-source blend. Unfortunately, it was not as good as their original purchased-stock blends.

I do wonder if some of the trend towards own-make whiskey is really because the originally-unwanted old stock at MGP is running out and going way up in price.

[From highwest.com, the sourcing for Rendevous Rye (my favorite of what I've tried, although there are lots out there I haven't):
A blend of older Straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 4 to 7 years.
95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP
80% rye, 20% malted rye from High West Distillery]

You have a point about the long aging timeframe, but then there's this: http://www.tuthilltown.com/history/

The aging timeframe for whiskey is why a lot of the nouveau distilleries also produce gin and vodka, those libations can be cranked out fairly quickly.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I need to get some more of that Breck bourbon made from Vail Resorts snow. It was good.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You have a point about the long aging timeframe, but then there's this: http://www.tuthilltown.com/history/

Have no first hand experience with this. Packaging and concept are nice. Have you had it?

Looking at the reviews, I get impatient. Reading that a whiskey is "smooth" a dozen times tells me nothing except that the reviewers don't really have anything interesting to say, and may not be qualified to say it anyway.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have no first hand experience with this. Packaging and concept are nice. Have you had it?

Looking at the reviews, I get impatient. Reading that a whiskey is "smooth" a dozen times tells me nothing except that the reviewers don't really have anything interesting to say, and may not be qualified to say it anyway.

The smooth characteristic oft mention is probably applied to their Baby Bourbon. I've only had their rye, as I'll choose Scotch whisky, Irish whiskey, or rye over bourbon any day ( I'm just not a fan of distilled corn). All their whiskies are young; they age about 4 years on average using 3 gallon barrels to compensate for the short aging time, although they are starting to use larger barrels now. As a young whiskey there is a cereal note on the palette, but they manage to balance that with other spice notes that in the end it all works. It's very good, but expensive, so I'd rather buy Balvenie for the money, but that said, I do enjoy their rye and they are kinda local to me so I'll support them.

Here's a better review: https://whiskyinformative.wordpress...uthilltown-spirits-hudson-review-of-whiskeys/

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I need to get some more of that Breck bourbon made from Vail Resorts snow. It was good.
Do they have it where you are? Its available here in Reno. On the shelves nearly everywhere.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Several smaller distillers are bottling Dickel whiskey which I find to be rather polarizing among enthusiasts since it has a very distinct flavor. There are a couple distilleries in KY that are also selling as well but I don't think at anywhere near the scale of MGP or Dickel. The interesting thing will be what happens to the smaller operations that have made their name selling MGP juice when the spigot gets turned off.

https://bourbonweekly.com/2019/01/2...craft-distillers-off-their-whiskey-in-spring/

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
The smooth characteristic oft mention is probably applied to their Baby Bourbon. I've only had their rye, as I'll choose Scotch whisky, Irish whiskey, or rye over bourbon any day ( I'm just not a fan of distilled corn). All their whiskies are young; they age about 4 years on average using 3 gallon barrels to compensate for the short aging time, although they are starting to use larger barrels now. As a young whiskey there is a cereal note on the palette, but they manage to balance that with other spice notes that in the end it all works. It's very good, but expensive, so I'd rather buy Balvenie for the money, but that said, I do enjoy their rye and they are kinda local to me so I'll support them.

Here's a better review: https://whiskyinformative.wordpress...uthilltown-spirits-hudson-review-of-whiskeys/
Can't stand their Baby Bourbon. Stuff is like drinking turpentine, to me and many others on the forums I frequent. Won't even use it as a mixer. Biggest waste of $50+ on a bottle of whiskey I've ever spent. Second biggest waste was Willett Pot Still.

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can't stand their Baby Bourbon. Stuff is like drinking turpentine, to me and many others on the forums I frequent. Won't even use it as a mixer. Biggest waste of $50+ on a bottle of whiskey I've ever spent. Second biggest waste was Willett Pot Still.
I agree the baby bourbon was unimpressive to say the least but the absolute worst I ever had was Billy Banks cask strength. I don’t even know how to describe the flavor but turpentine would have been a major improvement.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I picked this bourbon up in Michigan during our travels.
We broke it open while visiting @Drahtguy Kevin
Its okay, but not my favorite. You can definitely taste the beer barrel aspect of it.
Beer Barrel Bourbon.JPG

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
View attachment 79698 This appeared at my local discount liquor store so I picked up a bottle. It’s good but at 132 proof drinking it neat is a bit rough. :roflmao:
This Batch 12 is great stuff! Spicier on the end than I've experienced from their previous batches, but I like it. Opened a bottle Monday and am trying to keep from finishing it off too quickly.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This Batch 12 is great stuff! Spicier on the end than I've experienced from their previous batches, but I like it. Opened a bottle Monday and am trying to keep from finishing it off too quickly.
The place I got it gets something new on the first of each month. A couple months ago they had Weller for under $40:eek: Unfortunately they only put one out a day of anything “alotted”.

Sponsor