• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I worked in a QC lab for a multi-national food company years ago. One of the company truck drivers asked me about testing his swish. I looked around the lab and found the stuff needed. Wouldn't you know the exact time I'm working on the test the boss walks into my lab. (I was Microbiology, not chem, but I had to do chem at U.) He looked at the set up and very quietly asked: Whacha gettin....my answer was - read it! Then he said - holy shit....This guy was only running from Ottawa to Montreal and getting good results. I can't remember what the % was.

I was asked not to run that type of test again and stick to water tests for the employees.....

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My dear old grandad told me a long time ago when I was a young buck, Sonny, always drink your liquor straight. The mix is what gives you a hangover. Words to live by. Ice cubes only for me. I rarely have a mixed drink, maybe a Dark&Stormy or 5 at a regatta, or the odd G&T or 6 on a hot summers day.

He also said that you should never drink white liquor (vodka, gin, white rum, etc) because that stuff wrecks your liver more than anything else. Brown liquor only. I try and follow those words of wisdom.
Back when I was a teenager, I put that theory to the test; I drank a 26 oz bottle of Canadian Club straight.
I was hung over the next day. Myth Busted!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yummy.
20181026_173616.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nevada Day special.
BTW, I went to Total Wine today to pick something up and decided to pick up a bottle of Forty Creek Copper Pot for Ann when she's over. They said they were discontinuing it, not sure if that meant Total Wine or Forty Creek.
They had only one bottle left and I got it.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, I went to Total Wine today to pick something up and decided to pick up a bottle of Forty Creek Copper Pot for Ann when she's over. They said they were discontinuing it, not sure if that meant Total Wine or Forty Creek.
They had only one bottle left and I got it.
I'm sure she'll be thankful.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey All,

I'm looking to buy my step-dad a nice bottle of Scotch for Christmas. He usually drinks Johnny Walker Black among other things. I'd like to get him something a little more "special" ...Any recommendations for stuff in the 15-18 year old range? I am completely clueless in this category and would probably just get the bottle with the nicest, classiest looking label otherwise. I don't want to spend more than $100. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

k

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey All,

I'm looking to buy my step-dad a nice bottle of Scotch for Christmas. He usually drinks Johnny Walker Black among other things. I'd like to get him something a little more "special" ...Any recommendations for stuff in the 15-18 year old range? I am completely clueless in this category and would probably just get the bottle with the nicest, classiest looking label otherwise. I don't want to spend more than $100. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

k

I'm thinking about the scotch, but it does occur that a good way to make it more of a "gift" would be to include a couple of nice glasses. You can get an awfully nice bottle for fifty or sixty bucks.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

k

The Macallan is tops. As we say in Scotland - Slàinte mhath!

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Or... if he is a Game of Thrones fan ... you could get him the Johnny Walker White Walker. It's $30 at Costco and the bottle is super cool. When you refrigerate it, the gents eye turns blue like the white walkers, the bottle develops blue cracks, and it says Winter is Coming. I bought it just for the coolness factor! But, I also plan to buy the whole collection as they come out. I'm a GOT fan.
ci-johnnie-walker-white-walker-blended-scotch-whisky-e4e5ca7f1085d2b4.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

k
You can get a really nice bottle of scotch in the 50-70 dollar range.
Macallan 12 year double cask is good.
Auchentoshan has a limited three wood that is really really n ice at just under 80.00
And Grangestone makes some really good scotches as well, in a very good price point.
Anywhere from 40-80.00
Here is a really good 80.00
And a really good 66.00 one.

I find that there is a bigger difference between a super cheep scotches and a modest (40.00 ish) scotches than there is between the 50 dollar price point and the 150.00 price point.

Now I'm in the mood for scotch and I'm at the ski shop until 7...Grrrrrrr

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the ideas guys. Macallan it is! @Tony S i like your idea about the glasses. Instead, I can make him some ceramic tumblers. I’ve been playing around with handbuilding squarish tumblers out of clay. I’ve glazed them in ways too weird for my step dad. Good thing we won’t be exchanging gifts until Jan. Gives me time to make more normal looking ones.

@Pat AKA mustski ...I think he likes got and would love this, but no Costco membership for me. Wonk wonk.

K

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can get a really nice bottle of scotch in the 50-70 dollar range.
Macallan 12 year double cask is good.
Auchentoshan has a limited three wood that is really really n ice at just under 80.00
And Grangestone makes some really good scotches as well, in a very good price point.
Anywhere from 40-80.00
Here is a really good 80.00
And a really good 66.00 one.

I find that there is a bigger difference between a super cheep scotches and a modest (40.00 ish) scotches than there is between the 50 dollar price point and the 150.00 price point.

Now I'm in the mood for scotch and I'm at the ski shop until 7...Grrrrrrr

I’m not even a scotch fan, but after looking at all those links and reading the descriptions, I kinda want to go out and splurge on a bottle for myself. I have zero self control.

Sponsor