• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lenovno C330 Chrombook Review

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The genesis of this review is post by @tball suggesting those who have full duty laptop computers consider using a small Chrombook device when away from home. I did some posting in that thread as I am considering a new Macbook air as my primary computer. He linked in the below review of the new Lenovo C330. It was on sale for $180 at Best Buy and my old laptop is due for a replacement, so I did the purchase. This initial review is based on 2 days of ownership. I will update as I get more experience.

https://www.androidauthority.com/lenovo-chromebook-c330-review-916569/

Let me start by stating that I am impressed and pleased with it for my simple computing needs. As a Microsoft user, who does use the Chrome browser, and also Firefox, it is simple to just start using the device for basic internet searching, such as accessing Pugski, this review is being done using the C330. The screen is bright, the new keyboard does have a different feel, the trackpad functions very well including zooming in and out, but, as it does not have the MS machine right and left click keys, so, it is more like a Mac in that respect. So, there is a learning curve for using the Google based system which does have roots in both MS and Mac keyboard shortcuts. Personally, it is a joy to be free of my 7 year old laptop's weight and short battery life.

Some specific benefits
- it has Google Word and Excel compatible software, a PDF editor and photo editing. I does support Skype, but, camera is extremely basic. Just how well these programs integrate between my 2 machines is "to be determined". It does support Office 360 for those willing to pay (not me).
- It supports USB and SD cards plus USBC
- It supports a whole bunch of apps, some work different than my Apple apps, still have to spend time figuring that out.
- It supports my three different email providers
- Google Cloud storage is generous.
- There are many YouTube video's available for learning the Chrombook system.
- Google systems are not prone to virus attacks (or so they claim) and cannot be hacked (or so they claim), so no add on software needed.

The downside
-The need for a real computer that has a different operating system and how to integrate between the two
-My printer does not support direct Google wireless printing, so more development needed.
- Apple and Google do not play very well with each other, forget about Itunes.
- This is my first attempt at some extended word processing, spell check not working, and, my cursor does some strange movements

That's it for now, more to come with additional experience, but, always remember I am a simple user of computer basics.

Bottom line is that this is a functional and fun little device to use. I just may delay my search for a new full functional Laptop for a couple of months.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally picked mine up today. I've been using it for a couple of hours and really like it.

I compared it to a couple of the really cheap Chromebooks at BestBuy and glad I got this one. The screen on the cheap Samsung and a couple others were terrible.

I'm happy using this screen, wouldn't have been with a cheaper one. I do wish it was bigger. Not sure how folks use these little screens all the time. I spent a chunk of the day working from a coffee shop on my 17 inch MacBook Pro. No way I'd do that on this little Chromebook.

My very first impression is that Chrome OS is amazing. Google figured out how to nicely meld a laptop OS and a tablet OS, and it's clean and fast. I hear MS did too (maybe minus the clean and fast). Um, Apple?

I think what I really want is a 15 or 17 inch PixelBook if somebody would make one. No need at this point since my MBP rocks, but might be heading that way in a year or so. We'll see.

Sponsor

Staff online