• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Leather or cloth seats??

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
What’s better for a ski vehicle?

I’m thinking the leather can take the wet skis/boots/clothes better, but it might be colder in the weather?

Looking at getting a Toyota Sequoia for a vehicle that will stay in Park City for use about 30-45 days year.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'll always take cloth if I can get it. I've had to take leather in the past to get the packages that I wanted but given a choice, I'd rather not have it.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We prefer heated leather. But our skis/poles go in the roof box and the boots are usually in a bag on a weathertech liner in the back. Don’t think we have had cloth since 97 or so. It just collected too much dirt & dog fur. Just make sure you find a good place to park it. We keep a Subaru at a enclosed parking facility near DIA. They start it and run it every couple weeks and pick us up at the airport when we get there. It’s not the cheapest way to store it, but it’s been reliable and we know the car is safer than some of the other options.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Lots ultraleather and pleather being pushed out there as leather too. Some are pretty good and most important for a ski car they can have HEAT.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Cloth is warmer when you first sit.
  • Cloth looks dingy much faster and is hard / impossible to clean.
  • IME all of the really firm, supportive seats in normal cars* are leather. I don't think it's BECAUSE they're leather. In any case this is the clincher for me.
*Rally cars, etc., may be different, but that's a whole nother thing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Alcantera. Wears like leather, warm like cloth.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Alcantera. Wears like leather, warm like cloth.
Werd...
Porsche-991-GT3-interior.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
What about the hides of the wild Nauga?
Some of the worst seats I've ever sat in the old days were Naugahyde. Remember black vinyl seats in a large fishbowl car in August?:eek:

Cloth or leather, both have there place. Modern fabrics have come a long way too.
For instance a convertible and leather is a bad combination. With top down, dark leather will toast your buns badly. And a surprise rain storm won't do
it any good either.
When conditions are right though, a nice sport seat in glove leather is a real treat. Condition it as required for your climate and it is very durable as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
Seems to be personal preference. I have a friend with multiple dogs who insists on... cloth! Dog hair everywhere, sticks like crazy. Go figure. Well, dogs do slide more on leather/vinyl. She wouldn't consider non cloth.