• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Learning styles (VAK) debunked ? or blasphemy ?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
:huh:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe the full-on learning styles framework is oversold, but I am sure there is a nugget of truth to the auditory / visual divide. Read me a phone number and there is no way I can remember it. Show it to me on a piece of paper and I can.

TS
LouD-Truckee

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
Maybe the full-on learning styles framework is oversold, but I am sure there is a nugget of truth to the auditory / visual divide. Read me a phone number and there is no way I can remember it. Show it to me on a piece of paper and I can.
well.... to quote my favorite great philosopher, Yogi Berra....
"in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.... in practice.... there is.... "

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I believe they are Knowledge Acquisition Styles. In skiing I think we all learn the same way. By doing. By feeling.

But how do we get the movements to do that? Some from video or watching others, some from reading, some from just experimenting.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
"in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.... in practice.... there is.... "

This is a great quote, thank you!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

This is a great quote, thank you!

Like many quotes, that one is often attributed incorrectly... there are documented references at least back to 1882. See here :

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/04/14/theory/

latest

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not convinced the study described in the article shows much except:

1. Some students are not good at using what may work best for them

"Despite knowing their own, self-reported learning preferences, nearly 70% of students failed to employ study techniques that supported those preferences."
2. Some students are better than others regardless of what learning styles they use

"Students whose study strategies aligned with their VARK scores performed no better in either the lecture or lab component of the course."

We still don't know if those students would have individually done worse if they'd used non-matching learning styles.​

3. It's best to teach 'em in multiple ways.

"Students are more successful when they space out their study sessions over time, experience the material in multiple modalities, test themselves on the material as part of their study practices, and elaborate on material to make meaningful connections rather than engaging in activities that involve simple repetition of information (e.g., making flashcards or recopying notes)."​

And, of course, there's the replication crisis in the social sciences. Scientists Replicated 100 Psychology Studies, and Fewer Than Half Got the Same Results

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Yeah, arguing by googled links. Just chuck some stuff out and let the other party sort through for anything useful. Sort of the online equivalent of throwing books at each other.

At least I read the article you originally linked and picked some extracts.

Anyway, since your preferred posting style (based a sample of 2) is links without some contextual, highlighting quotes...

http://carolblack.org/science-fiction/

TS
LouD-Truckee

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
Yeah, arguing by googled links.

nah.... between skiing every day, and reading.... no time left to argue with people on the internet.... besides.... to paraphrase George Bernard Shaw.... "never argue with people on the internet.... you just get all full of mud.... and the #$@& likes it"
If anything, it was more like a survey.... I'll put you down under "BLASPHEMY".....
Cheers mate.....

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Seaking of blasphemy...singing about Yogi in a Braves jersey :nono:

James

Out There
Instructor
nah.... between skiing every day, and reading.... no time left to argue with people on the internet.... besides.... to paraphrase George Bernard Shaw.... "never argue with people on the internet.... you just get all full of mud.... and the #$@& likes it"
If anything, it was more like a survey.... I'll put you down under "BLASPHEMY".....
Cheers mate.....
And yet Shaw died in 1950. So, you're just tossing a world salad and dressing it with a quote?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I agree that too much emphasis is placed on learning styles. That being said, if you know the research of Anders Ericcson it explains why guided discovery is so powerful.

James

Out There
Instructor
yep....

so.... ummmm.... put you down under "BLASPHEMY" ?
I don't know. Possibly if you used words strung together in a sentence, then bundled into a coherent paragraph I'd have a clue what your pov was.ogsmile

Blasphemy may refer to the whole idea of learning styles is blasphemy to begin with. I suppose if I read the link I could figure it out, but as your too lazy to pull anything out of it, I can't get enthused to go follow it. And I did read the CarolBlack link posted later.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Cheers mate.....

I'll put you down as tl;dr. Which is a little sad when it comes to your own ref material - those articles link to other articles and research that contain numerous references to how presenting information in multiple ways is beneficial to learning and retention.

I'd point 'em out however I'm kind of a fan of guided experiential learning.

Then again, probably better to just go skiing. :Cristmassnow:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's quite a bit in the standard PSIA instructional framework that smells too much of dubious pop psychology. I would conclude that the value of the PAK model is as a reminder that we ALL learn via multiple pathways, none of which should be disregarded. The article concluded:

"Fortunately, cognitive science has identified a number of methods to enhance knowledge acquisition, and these techniques have fairly universal benefit. Students are more successful when they space out their study sessions over time, experience the material in multiple modalities, test themselves on the material as part of their study practices, and elaborate on material to make meaningful connections rather than engaging in activities that involve simple repetition of information (e.g., making flashcards or recopying notes)."

Sounds challenging to implement in the space of a single three or six hour lesson, doesn't it? It's no wonder the ski instruction community is tempted into embracing simplistic, shortcut pedagogical theories. We all want to feel good about our work, even when the facts are at odds with that.

Some possible ways of incorporating those proven methods to enhance knowledge acquisition:

o Set more modest lesson goals so as to allow sufficient time for their application?

o Give students homework?

o Educate customers as to the benefits of multi-day clinics, and design them better, mixing in a changing multitude of effective techniques?

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
As someone with a master of education, I can confirm that learning styles have been invalidated many times in research. Despite the folksy appeal of learning styles, no research of substance has confirmed their usefulness. If learning styles were real, we would see waves of skiers who learned by listening to an audio tape. Or people who learn to speak a foreign language at a practical level by reading a book. Or surgeons who learn to do brain surgery by just trying it out.

All mediums have their place. And some people do have a harder time with certain mediums; some individuals have a terrible mind-body connection, others zone out when they have to listen (or can't understand our language), some folks lack observational skills, and some folks are not really bright enough to reflect effectively. As instructors we have to work around these limitations by keeping explanations simple, giving good demos from many angles, creating external physical cues, using static exercises before active ones, and applying all those good coaching techniques from our body of knowledge.

Sponsor