• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Le Hockey

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What info and relief has been proposed for seadon (and single game) ticket holders? Anything beyond some kid of credit $$$s towards whatever they can win in the limited seats lotteries assuming there isn't an effective vaccine??

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
What info and relief has been proposed for seadon (and single game) ticket holders? Anything beyond some kid of credit $$$s towards whatever they can win in the limited seats lotteries assuming there isn't an effective vaccine??
Yeah I think that's to be determined..I think they're still calling some games "postponed"...

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
NHL teams begin voluntary workouts as part of Phase 2
Oilers, Islanders, Golden Knights open rinks, facilities in next step of Return to Play Plan
by NHL.com
June 8, 2020
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Link Share
  • Email Share
cut.jpg

NHL teams have begun limited workouts with small groups at their team facilities, the start of Phase 2 of the Return to Play Plan.
New York Islanders goalie Thomas Greiss and forwards Josh Bailey, Cal Clutterbuck and Matt Martin skated together at their practice rink in East Meadow, New York, on Monday.
"It was good. It was nice to just get back in there," Bailey said. "It's a familiar place for us. It's nice to get back on the ice too; it's obviously been a while. That's where we're comfortable out there, so it was nice to feel the puck. We didn't go too crazy on Day One, but nonetheless, it was fun to get out there.
"... After three months, there's a little bit of rust so you just get out there and get your legs underneath you and move the puck around a little bit, get some shots, just kind of go over the fundamental stuff. As we go, we'll start ramping up the conditioning side of things. I'm sure we'll do a little bit this week, but just keep progressing it the closer and closer we get to camp."
Vegas Golden Knights goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, forwards Mark Stone, Max Pacioretty and Paul Stastny, and defensemen Nick Holden and Deryk Engelland skated at City National Arena.
The Edmonton Oilers tweeted a photo of forwards Alex Chiasson and Tyler Benson, defensemen Kris Russell and Matt Benning, and goalie Stuart Skinner on the ice at Rogers Place.

The Philadelphia Flyers and Toronto Maple Leafs were among the other teams expected to open their facilities Monday. The Tampa Bay Lightning are opening theirs Tuesday. The Pittsburgh Penguins have said they will have players on the ice Tuesday, and the Arizona Coyotes announced they will return Thursday.
"Today, I had that same feeling of my first (NHL) training camp, not knowing (what to expect)," Benning said. "I mean, obviously we had guidelines and that sort of thing, there are people there to help us through and make sure we're doing the right things to stay safe and wearing masks and proper hygiene and that sort of thing. It was exciting to get back to the rink, but it was a different feeling. There are a lot of things we had to do in order to be safe and enjoy the facility."
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told TSN last week that teams are allowed to decide when they want to open.
"Clubs are approaching it differently depending on their circumstances," Daly said.
The Deputy Commissioner said he expected all 24 teams in the Return to Play Plan to open prior to the transition to Phase 3, the start of training camps, which will not occur before July 10.
"I have talked with the players and they will tell us when they think we should open," St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "If they feel comfortable training as they are (currently), they should. When they want us to open, we will."
A date for Phase 4, which would be the start of play in the Qualifying Round and Seeding Round Robin leading into the Stanley Cup Playoffs, has not been determined.
The NHL season was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus and facilities were closed. The NHL announced last week that teams would be permitted to reopen their training facilities to allow players to participate in individualized training activities (off-ice and on-ice). Players will be participating on a voluntary basis, and workouts will be limited to a maximum of six players at any time, plus a limited number of staff.
"Having access to the rink and the ice and being around teammates again is a big deal," Lightning forward Blake Coleman said. "Talking to the guys, everybody is excited to get back out there. … I'm itching to get back. I'm sure a lot of guys are."
All teams must adhere to the Phase 2 Protocol that was released by the NHL and NHL Players' Association on May 25. The 21-page document is intended to provide players with a safe and controlled environment to resume their conditioning.
"Even if a player decides he doesn't want to start skating Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, at least he knows he has the option, and there's a comfortability with that," Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello said.

scott43

Skier
I do know the Leafs have their public/private practice facility fully booked for a month or two. There are 4 pads there and they've booked the entire facility for that time. So they're keen to get at it I should think...

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver each can be hub city in Return to Play Plan
Canada won't hold NHL players to 14-day quarantine requirement for coronavirus

June 16, 2020
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Link Share
  • Email Share
cut.jpg

Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver each will be eligible to be a hub city as part of the NHL Return to Play Plan, Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.
"We have indicated that we are comfortable with moving forward on an NHL hub in one of three Canadian cities that are asking for it," Trudeau said. "Obviously, the decision needs to be made by the NHL and the cities and the provinces in the jurisdiction. Canada is open to it as long as it is OK by the local health authorities."
The NHL had said a Canadian city would not be chosen if players were required to complete the mandatory 14-day quarantine currently in effect for people entering Canada. Trudeau said the border with the United States will remain closed to nonessential travel through at least July 21, Reuters reported, but that the closure does not affect NHL players, some of whom have already been traveling to rejoin their teams.
The NHL, which paused the season March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, announced 10 cities are in the running to be one of two hub cities -- one for the 12 participating Eastern Conference teams and one for the 12 Western Conference teams.
Under the 24-team Return to Play Plan, the Stanley Cup Qualifiers will have the top four teams in each conference, based on regular-season points percentage, play a round-robin to determine seeding. The other eight teams in each conference will play four best-of-5 series, with the winners playing the four round-robin teams in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
"The National Hockey League appreciates the significant effort that the government of Canada put into reviewing this matter and satisfying itself that the League's protocol and processes for Return to Play were thorough, well thought out and, most importantly, focused on the health and safety of all concerned," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement to the Toronto Star. "The League will continue to work with the respective provincial governments and health authorities in the coming days as we consider our hub cities decision."
In addition to Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto, the NHL is considering seven United States cities -- Chicago, Dallas, Columbus, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Pittsburgh -- to be hubs.
Phase 3 of the Return to Play Plan, which is the start of training camp, will begin July 10 provided medical and safety conditions allow and the NHL and the NHL Players' Association reach an agreement on resuming play. The NHL has not announced when the qualifiers will begin.

scott43

Skier
I was just about to write something before work got in the way... :ogbiggrin: You know, I think this is how it will go for everything..unless EVERYONE is in a bubble. Someone will pick it up, spread it to a few people, everything gets shut down. Maybe they treat it as an injury and your guy is gone for 14 days or whatever until he's not contagious anymore. Dunno. But it's going to happen.. I read the Blue Jays Dunedin camp was shut down as well.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Philadelphia Phillies as well. Young athletic guys... it is going to be almost impossible to keep them sequestered. This will happen over and over until there is no one left to play, sports might not be a good idea right now. I want sports back, but it's not life or death- and it sure shouldn't be.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When one tests positive, everyone who's been in contact with them is also out for 14 days because it takes different amount of time to incubate in different people enough for the test to detect it.

James

Out There
Instructor
So the Canadians are allowing American players across the border?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So the Canadians are allowing American players across the border?
I think they will let most folks willing to subject themselves to a supervised 14 day quarantine in.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think they will let most folks willing to subject themselves to a supervised 14 day quarantine in.
So how can they practice if in quarantine?
One should be allowed to test out of quarantine. Say after two days. Do two tests over the next two days.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I guess now we just wait and see what the world looks like 3 weeks from today.
In a bubble together..
We'll see what happens in three weeks. Training camps open Monday 7/13, and teams don't travel to the "bubble" cities until about 7/26 - so about two weeks of players being able to be in the general public before going into playoff lockdown. I'm not optimistic that there won't be more than a few positive tests.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
We'll see what happens in three weeks. Training camps open Monday 7/13, and teams don't travel to the "bubble" cities until about 7/26 - so about two weeks of players being able to be in the general public before going into playoff lockdown. I'm not optimistic that there won't be more than a few positive tests.

Players are in the general public now and have been since the beginning of the pandemic. I don't understand why teams don't quarantine players throughout training camp to ensure that all players going into the host cities test negative.

Sponsor

Staff online