• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Le Hockey

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yep, It's time to talk HOCKEY!!!

And I've got TWO teams (it's a LONG story). Les Habitants and the Penguins.

My first question is for @SBrown,.... What the hell happened last night?!?! :eek:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
As an Avalanche fan, I finally got to sleep soundly last night with a tear of joy from a much needed victory.
Yeah maybe just maybe we don't really suck.......win 10 or 11 out of the next 15 and I'll be convinced

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah maybe just maybe we don't really suck.......win 10 or 11 out of the next 15 and I'll be convinced

Well... it's been weird so far. They really don't suck as bad as their record. (And they weren't as good 2 seasons ago as their record.) Avs are 1-600-1 in 1-goal games.
Playing well for the most part, but every single mistake, and some funky bounces, ended up in the back of their net. Right now things seem to be turning. We'll see. Varly hasn't been great, but Berra has. Pickard is killing it in the AHL. Strange situation. Varly has been having groin issues, as usual, but he really hasn't quite gotten up to speed yet this year, and that always makes a difference (especially when you're losing by ... one goal).

Clearly Les Habs had partaken of too much poutine last night.. Still, I enjoyed it.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
-La_Banquise_Poutine.jpg
Clearly Les Habs had partaken of too much poutine last night.. Still, I enjoyed it.

Yum

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hurricanes still suck the bag. Dallas Black Hawks are looking pretty good though..

1980194_1173182692697267_4021252941932490386_o.jpg

Friday night game. More than half the seats were empty. Yet, most were sold and season ticket sales are still really strong here. Yet, half the seats were empty. Thought I was in Detroit for a moment.

scott43

Skier
Well in the Battle of the Titans, the crappy team that squeaked out a win was, in fact, the Lafs. :D Good effort Canes, but the Toronto juggernaut rolls onward! :duck:

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Pittsburgh fired the wrong guy yesterday, how the GM keeps his job I just don't know. Brought in a defensively-minded coach to a team based on offense. Let two top-pair defensemen go to a rival team and received nothing in return. (As a lifelong Caps fan, THANKS!) Then makes a deal to bring in yet another scoring forward who is not known for his defensive abilities. Yeah, it was the coach's fault. :doh:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was pretty glad to see J. R. kicked out of Carolina. That said, the Hurricanes still sucked balls last season and the first part if this one. I'm not sure what's wrong in Pittsburgh, but some of the blame definitely falls on the coaching because the player talent is there..

How about those Dallas Blackhawks??:D

scott43

Skier
Pittsburgh fired the wrong guy yesterday, how the GM keeps his job I just don't know. Brought in a defensively-minded coach to a team based on offense. Let two top-pair defensemen go to a rival team and received nothing in return. (As a lifelong Caps fan, THANKS!) Then makes a deal to bring in yet another scoring forward who is not known for his defensive abilities. Yeah, it was the coach's fault. :doh:

As always, easy to fire the coach. I agree..I don't hate Kessel like some do..but you have to understand he's nearly uncoachable and he only plays offence. Crosby has been hung out to dry by his team-mates. Their record isn't bad...yet..but you hope they turn it around and play like they can. I'm going to Pitt to watch them play the Lafs on the 30th..they can lose that night though.. :D

scott43

Skier
So I'm going to rant a bit. I just bought a new helmet to replace my CCM 1052 helmet from like 12 years ago. You're supposed to replace them every 5 years or something but...THEY'RE EXPENSIVE!!! And this is my rant. I got my old-style CCM helmet back in the early 90's for like $49. It was your typical NHL helmet..everyone wore them. Then I bought the 1052 for like $99 in 2004. OK, that's expensive but some years had gone by and there theoretically was some new tech in there. Now I go in to buy a helmet and the top CCM helmet is like $270!!! WTF?? That's ridiculous..it's an extruded cheese plastic shell with some styrofoam and some hard foam in there glued in with a hot glue gun!!

When I bought my Bauer 2000 skates back in 1998 they were like $200. The year Nike bought Bauer skate prices doubled. AND they farmed all the labour out to Thailand instead of Quebec. So now a decent Bauer skate is $400, it's made of plastic, lasts 2 years and is made in Thailand.

Then I heard a bit on the radio about Kenesky Sports in Hamilton..they made NHL pads for goalies..so a pro setup for pads, blocker and catcher is $2200, and they're making them in Hamilton. Bauer and CCM are charging $1700 for a similar setup and they're made overseas. That's some profit margin.

Bottom line, I paid $180 for a new helmet and felt like I just ass-pounded by globalization.. :cool:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You forgot to mention the price of sticks now adays. Remember the $20 woods?

scott43

Skier
You forgot to mention the price of sticks now adays. Remember the $20 woods?

Totally..I was saying the same thing about that. I was at the rink and some 13 year old kid was cursing out his dad because he "only" got the $189 composite..not the $329 Warrior pro pattern. He's 13! Couldn't flex the stick if he tried.. I miss my Sherwood 5030 Coffey pattern... :(

Sponsor

Staff online