Layman's Technical ski video (that answers the question..)

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Superbman, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superbman

Superbman Getting on the lift Skier

I came across this video this morning, from a guy who I think is one of the best amateur skiers posting tech ski videos on the web:

I love the versatility: Modern carves on the groomers, legit bump skiing in the bumps. And to look at the equipment used, I'm thinking the answer the reoccurring question 'what ski for technical skiing/ Instructor Exams/ etc.?: is some sort of Head carving ski. Enjoy.

Deadslow, tball, tromano and 2 others like this.
  2. HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier Reality Check Writer Skier

The ski is a Head Titan, 80mm under foot.

I like that Blake keeps posting his videos year-after-year. He's certainly not as technically sound as some others who are regularly posting video, so I wouldn't say he's a technical model. Rather, he's a great inspiration for those who want to see what a strong all-mountain skier looks like. Particularly, it would be useful for skiers who are afraid to step outside of the [choose your favorite instruction organization] box to improve their skiing... Instead of being perfect, just [email protected]&#ing get after it. I like it. Respect.

3. Superbman

Superbman Getting on the lift Skier

Yeah, I look forward to his yearly updates (and yours, too). I think he's on the head rebel iSL in the mogul sequences (and the titan in the carving shots). Which is a switch as he used to run a mogul comp ski in his older videos. Blake can certainly answer the query 'Got video?' with some confidence. He's been a smooth, ripping bumper for a long time, but I like that he's worked hard on adding performance carving to his video chops.

His brother deserves more props as he's dynamic tele skier and a regular feature in these videos.

4. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Out on the slopes Instructor

@HeluvaSkier, would you mind pointing out what keeps his skiing from being "technically sound?"
    Please be specific. I want to know what to look for, and be able to see it as you do. You know I'm serious about this.

Right now I'm not seeing anything that warrants being called "not technically sound" in Blake's skiing.
    So I'm missing something you are seeing.
    I'm seriously impressed. I find this to be beautiful skiing.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    newboots, Sibhusky, Tony S and 3 others like this.
  5. HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier Reality Check Writer Skier

I'd rather not elaborate on it here as MA was not requested by Blake. He and I have chatted on the technical aspects of his skiing privately in the past and I don't think it was anything he wanted shared publicly.

6. Magi

Magi Instructor Instructor

So there was a funny moment where I thought: "Hey - I know that jacket... and those pants... and that trail... I've seen him ski live!"

I don't know how regularly he skis at Winter Park - but I've seen him ripping it up on at least three occasions. That particular video appears to be taken on "Hughes" at Winter Park.

7. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

I love the skiing, but mostly I'm thinking, "I want to go there!"

P.S., @Bruno Schull, here you go.

Superbman likes this.
  8. '9'

'9' Booting up Skier

Thank you Liam for posting the video.

This is Blake.

I do not much enjoy posting on forums these days. I'm probably logging in just this once to make a point or two and then I'll be on my way.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like it if you wouldn't mention to people that we have talked privately about the technical aspects of my skiing anymore. I have been aware of you saying this more than once (the other time was when some guy from Utah wrote me and knew that I "know you" or something). I'm sure you don't mean it this way because as you pointed out, you are trying to be respectful, but to me it sounds a little like some sort of 'boost to', or 'promotion of' your coaching to mention this. The reason that this bothers me a little is mainly because... sorry for this... but... I didn't apply any of your advice to my skiing. I was interested in your point of view, don't get me wrong, and I enjoyed our exchanges. Particularly, I was interested in hearing about the PMTS carving technique and I know that you informed me... but I actually don't remember anything you said and I don't have the emails anymore and I know that I did not change anything in my skiing based on the information you gave me. If there have been any changes in my skiing, permanent or otherwise, they came about in a different way (as a side note, I might add that there is a comment on some changes in the caption of this video). I am not dishonest and I would say so if I had applied what was said in our exchanges. I am not too arrogant to take advice and in fact there is a ski coach who I currently consult with who has had some very interesting ideas for my skiing that I have both experimented with and applied (though I don't do any one set of techniques all the time)... but I am not going to name him in case it's like I'd be dragging him into a conversation here or whatever, but I would be/am very happy to give him due credit (in fact, in at least one way I have given him credit).

Something that I think makes these forums a lot less fun is the fact that different groups of people define what is "technically correct" very differently. This means to me that there isn't really any such thing as "technically correct". I have heard Marcus Caston say something similar by the way if no one wants to listen to me : ) One group thinks one thing, another thinks another thing etc and it all becomes one huge fight. For me, the best skiing is 'adaptable' and has maximal power. Some people will look at the first shot in this current video and think that my skiing is uncontrolled or that it's not pretty or something. For me it is the absolute epitome of what I am usually going for and it is exactly what I think is correct. For what it's worth, my brother defines things similarly. What I do on the groomed I like to keep along the lines of what I know to work best off piste. I do not try to ski technically correct according to the PMTS idea of what is correct, or any other group's idea of what is correct for that matter but I am pretty sure I could work it out if I wanted to look any certain way, and for crying out loud, haven't I done enough by now to show that I can ski how I want to if I put my mind to it???!!! You all just think that all these shots happen by happenstance or something LOL! Or can you not tell the differences? By far primarily, I ski according to what I think is right. I have never thought "who am I to decide what is right? I better get someone else to decide it for me". I know who I am and I know why I think what I think about what works and I actually have a great deal of technical knowledge, I just might speak about it differently than 'this group' or 'that group'. I am my own 'group' so to speak. If I didn't have an idea of what I am doing then my videos could not be the way they are.

If your skiing looks how you want it to then it's a success. Personally I have never seen a PMTS type video of anyone that suggests to me that it is a really adaptable approach off piste. A lot of what you see some instructors doing on the groomed is not as great off the groomed. Heluvaskier, like I said you may define what is technically correct differently than I do. Keep doing what you're doing and I will continue to enjoy your videos. As for me, if during any season I were to accumulate shots that look like your technique on the groomed or off the groomed, they would not be the shots that I would post. I guess I think about things a little differently.

Respect.

9. pud

pud Booting up Skier

Awesome skiing Blake.

tball, Tricia, Philpug and 1 other person like this.
  10. tromano

tromano Goin' the way they're pointed... Skier

I liked the video. Looks like fun to me.

newboots and Tony S like this.
  11. skifastDDS

skifastDDS AKA doublediamond223 Skier

Hi Blake. Awesome and inspiring skiing as always, you took it to a new level this year on the hard snow.

I'm curious if I'm this mysterious person you refer to in your post above. I'm not from Utah, but you messaged me on Facebook last September and this post made me remember that I had not responded to your last message in that conversation. [Initials are G.S. if my picture doesn't make it clear.] I would have replied privately but you are evidently not receiving facebook messages. Similarly, I didn't bother to send you a PM here since it was a one-time log-in. Regardless, if I am the person you are referring to I'd have quite a bit to say in response to your post. Please advise.

Hope you had a great season.

12. Bolder

Bolder Putting on skis Skier

Geez. It's a skiing video, not North Korea nuclear talks!

That looked like beautiful skiing, especially in the bumps. As for the carving, the only time I can get those angles is to cheat by carving across contours so it looks like I"m getting deeper than I actually am! I saw only fluid skiing on groomers, steeps and bumps.

Bottom line: I wanted to jump on a pair of Head skis and try to do that. However, the cold hard reality is that I'm chained to my desk, it's 10 deg F and pissing down rain here in Paris...

Tony S likes this.
  13. skier

skier Putting on skis Skier

"Have a target technical framework or skiing model that serves as a target-state and base to build on. This ensures that you know where you are going. Knowing what ‘good’ consists of in the context of your chosen model, the ability to describe it, know it when you see it and when you don’t is very important. A skier not fitting into ‘your model’ does not make them a bad skier, simply that their technical approach is not aligned with your own—it is a choice." by HeluvaSkier

newboots and HeluvaSkier like this.
  14. fatbob

fatbob Out on the slopes Skier

This plus a bg thumbs up for Blake. I find the minutiae of coach/methodology wars pretty tedious and personally think there are 2 kinds of "aspiring" skier in the world - those that want to get it "perfect" and those that want to perfect the "fun". Looks to me like Blake is gunning strongly for the latter and who wouldn't?

15. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how."....The cat in the hat.

Blake knows how to have fun on skis. :thumb:

16. tball

tball Unzipped Skier

Yet another arrow pointing in the direction of Head carving skis!

Also worth pointing out he's ripping moguls on non-bump skis. Maybe not quite as quickly as he does on his bump skis, but still faster than the rest of us! He's suggested bump skis to me in the past. I'm interested to hear his thoughts on skis for bumps at some point.

Great skiing Blake, and thanks for taking the time to make your videos!

newboots and Mendieta like this.
  17. PTskier

PTskier Been goin' downhill for years.... Pass Pulled

With admiration for Blake's skiing, and full respect for his opinion, where we differ is about the person. I wasn't born with Blake's evident innate athleticism. I could never get to ski as well as I do (and I'll never be as good as Blake) without a solid technical instructional framework to build on. PMTS provided this for me. I'm deeply appreciative. And it works for me both on and off piste with the movements 98% the same, or 97 or 90-something percent the same. I'm not sure if I ever carved as deeply as Blake's beautiful skiing. I can no longer get to the point of dropping inside fingers to the snow as feelers, just for the fun of it, due to the g-forces these old knees would have to carry. I greatly enjoy the exhilaration of skiing as close to that as possible. Making a clean, quiet 180° carve on an empty slope is fun! Wow! Linking clean quiet carves on blue runs...:yahoo: Skiing is fun. Ski more. Argue less.

newboots and skifastDDS like this.
  18. T-Square

T-Square Terry Moderator Instructor

OK, this thread has descended into personal battles. Thus it is closed.

Bolder, tball and newboots like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.