• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Late season skiing CO

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
So, once Easter weekend is over, I expect that ski season is effectively over for the masses. If there are any significant April storms, do skiers show up in large numbers for a powder day or is it essentially left for the few diehards like those here on this site that live in CO?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
So, once Easter weekend is over, I expect that ski season is effectively over for the masses. If there are any significant April storms, do skiers show up in large numbers for a powder day or is it essentially left for the few diehards like those here on this site that live in CO?
You should have seen last Mother's Day at A-Basin!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on the day. Skiers will always make it out for a powder day, but the "masses" showing up depends on the days and how many seasonal workers are left in town. But, that being said, if there are only 1, 2, 3 hills open, then it can get crowded. The positive is though, that the front range crowds have usually transitioned to their warm weather sports like golf. :cool:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You should have seen last Mother's Day at A-Basin!

That was the second longest lift line I've ever seen, and it stayed long till like 3pm.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
That was the second longest lift line I've ever seen, and it stayed long till like 3pm.

But that was a real edge case... weather in the front range had been crap for weeks, so no one could get out and climb / hike / mtb. A-basin was the only resort open at that point, and Joel had forecast something like 18" (we got, what, 6-8"?). I have NEVER seen anything like that in 4 years of spring weekend powder days (or many years of skiing A-basin, any time of year).

Contrasting data point, when I lived in NYC I'd fly out here to ski in May, once as late as May 24th or something. :)

So -- big spring powder days can be a bit crowded, but generally no worse than a regular weekend day, except in the super rare case. And you never sit in I-70 traffic in the spring thanks to mud season.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on the day. Skiers will always make it out for a powder day, but the "masses" showing up depends on the days and how many seasonal workers are left in town. But, that being said, if there are only 1, 2, 3 hills open, then it can get crowded. The positive is though, that the front range crowds have usually transitioned to their warm weather sports like golf. :cool:

All true. It also depends on what happens on the front range: if it's still decent weather down there, people stay, but for instance last Mother's Day, it snowed in town, too, so outdoor activities were canceled, thus people decided to ski. That was truly an odd thing, that many people at Abasin. I think they said it was their most crowded day ever? And only, like, five patrollers were working.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
All true. It also depends on what happens on the front range: if it's still decent weather down there, people stay, but for instance last Mother's Day, it snowed in town, too, so outdoor activities were canceled, thus people decided to ski. That was truly an odd thing, that many people at Abasin. I think they said it was their most crowded day ever? And only, like, five patrollers were working.

Weren't they parking people down in Keystone and then shuttling them up to the mountain? I do recall hearing that it was the busiest day they ever recorded. Something like 5,000 people?

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Weren't they parking people down in Keystone and then shuttling them up to the mountain? I do recall hearing that it was the busiest day they ever recorded. Something like 5,000 people?

Yes! And people were parked up and down the shoulder of 6. We saw someone park on one of the switchbacks going up to the pass, then "walk" (mostly fall) down the embankment. It was totally nuts.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's clear how rare and weird that crowd was based on how strongly we remember it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's clear how rare and weird you lot are, based on how strongly you remember it. ;)

I ditched skiing to hang out on the beach. On a powder day. That is NOT typical Monique behavior.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
April at Loveland is pretty dead. Slightly busier on powder days, closing day and for the New Belgium scavenger hunt.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is the op looking to go somewhere? Plenty of skiing to be had. Hell last year in the Northeast April was fantastic. Even into May at Killington.
This year not so much.

In general in the east even when there's great snow people don't come. Kids are doing other things and golf has rotted the brains of others. That leaves them wandering hills and meadows cursing a small white ball. It can be a great time to ski actually. And cheap. killington offers a 199$ spring pass. Stowe as far as I know is looking to hose you.

Whistler and the PNW should have great April skiing.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I think this year will remain pretty busy with most resorts closing in 3 weeks and currently a very active storm cycle. WP has already extended the MJ season for two additional weeks to May 7th.

With the dry 5 weeks early Feb to mid-March, there is some pent up demand, although that is currently being satisfied. 6-12" tonite and a good looking storm this weekend plus another next week.

So the question is, are you skiing Colorado late season :D.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Skier
I think this year will remain pretty busy with most resorts closing in 3 weeks and currently a very active storm cycle. WP has already extended the MJ season for two additional weeks to May 7th.

With the dry 5 weeks early Feb to mid-March, there is some pent up demand, although that is currently being satisfied. 6-12" tonite and a good looking storm this weekend plus another next week.

So the question is, are you skiing Colorado late season :D.
Yes. Ordered some new skis online, yesterday, and have to come break them in. :daffy: Was hoping to come back Mar 31 for a three-day weekend to take advantage of the storms, but ticket prices are high now. May come the following weekend, instead.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

It was sitting on the beach in Mexico that day and for once was extremely glad that I wasn't there.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Skier
Is the op looking to go somewhere? Plenty of skiing to be had. Hell last year in the Northeast April was fantastic. Even into May at Killington.
This year not so much.

In general in the east even when there's great snow people don't come. Kids are doing other things and golf has rotted the brains of others. That leaves them wandering hills and meadows cursing a small white ball. It can be a great time to ski actually. And cheap. killington offers a 199$ spring pass. Stowe as far as I know is looking to hose you.

Whistler and the PNW should have great April skiing.
Only going to CO this time. Have RMSP+, have a place to stay in CO and skis are being delivered there, so, will be going to WP and Copper, only. Trying to limit this trip's expenses to flight, rental car, food, beer and gas.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
April is the best time to fly to CO to ski imo. Flights are cheap, rental cars are cheap, hotels are cheap, crowds are gone, powder can still be found. Tell me why I should come up there and ski in February with the hordes?

Sponsor