• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Last Second ID/MT or BC Advice Needed for 1/10 to 1/17

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the scoop: flying into Spokane, WA 1/10, flying out 1/17. A use or lose SWA flight from a previous cancellation last year. My travel buddy messed up his ankle, so he is a last second cancellation. Hotels were booked in his name, rental car in mine. I'm also juggling work tasks to get my team ready for me being gone, so pretty hectic now. Ugh.

Original plan: ski 2 days at Schweitzer, 1 day at Turner, 2 days at Whitefish, 1 day at Montana Snow Bowl.

Also now in consideration: drive up to Rossland, BC to ski Red, then maybe Nelson to ski Whitewater.

May also have to cancel because of extra cost/work issues. (I'm getting in 3+ more trips out West, so I'll be getting mine.)

I greatly appreciate any input on snow conditions and upcoming weather, discount lodging/lift tickets, driving issues, etc. Now that I'm travelling solo, cost is more of a factor.

Paging @Sibhusky or @DanoT or @Mike Rogers or others for any advice. I'm researching options myself but neeed some group input on this one. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Been skiing 49* North about 70 miles South of Red. The groomers are good, but the off Piste needs some snow. The cure is supposed to be on the way in with the storms coming. Your timing could be right on the mark. 49 is closed Wednesday and Thursday, so that won't work.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Have you been to silver mountain? You could probably get a couple of nights in there for super cheap. I did 10 days out that way a while back(Bridger,BS,moonlight,discovery,snowbowl,silver) with 2 being at silver. Remember it being crazy cheap stay/ski package midweek and really liking the vibe of the town.

Freshies both days and nobody around. Had one of my top 25 days the second day there with about 10" on top of the 6" from the first day and an empty resort. It's a decent sized mountain with some fun hikeing (5-10min) to wardens peak for decently pitched glades.

I personally would ski silver over snowbowl. My good friend lived in Missoula forever so I've skied snowbowl a few times. The lift system is kind of silly and if it's a powder day all the kids take off class so the mountain gets crowded and ripped up fast.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have you been to silver mountain? You could probably get a couple of nights in there for super cheap. I did 10 days out that way a while back(Bridger,BS,moonlight,discovery,snowbowl,silver) with 2 being at silver. Remember it being crazy cheap stay/ski package midweek and really liking the vibe of the town.

Freshies both days and nobody around. Had one of my top 25 days the second day there with about 10" on top of the 6" from the first day and an empty resort. It's a decent sized mountain with some fun hikeing (5-10min) to wardens peak for decently pitched glades.

I personally would ski silver over snowbowl. My good friend lived in Missoula forever so I've skied snowbowl a few times. The lift system is kind of silly and if it's a powder day all the kids take off class so the mountain gets crowded and ripped up fast.

Silver had a special going for like $80 for ticket, lodging and a ticket for the water park. That is a steal if it is still on.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Red is reporting a 114 cm base and Whitewater 154cm base.
Mild temps have just rolled in to B.C and Red is known for being susceptible to rain.
Whitewater is higher elevation and gets more snow than Red.
Best way to get to Whitewater from Schweitzer is to head north to Creston B.C., then west to Salmo, then north to Whitewater.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The mountain is 100% open. Snow quality excellent. However, be careful off piste in some of the tree areas, not all stumps are covered. The odd cut trail is still showing tree tops. Some snow expected every day for the next week.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I was looking into going N and would have been about 4 days ahead of you. At first I was thinking about driving to Tahoe, then continuing to Sun Valley, Targhee and JHMR as I have MCP, but that would have been a long drive in a week, especially solo. A friend was considering flying into Twin Falls and skiing Sun Valley and sharing the drive back with me, but he could not get away.

TonyC recommended I fly in and out of Spokane. His e-mail to me said "Schweitzer and Whitefish are obvious options going NE. Maybe Red and Whitewater going N. Silver, Lookout, Snowbowl and Discovery going E on I-90." He also said "Interior NW is a relative cheap region for hotels." But motels and car rental add up fast when not being shared plus I would be paying for lift tickets (even at lower cost interior BC, WA, ID or MT areas it adds up) and I already have two passes that cover over 20 places. We use hotels.com to review options, then book as late as 10 minutes before arrival. And for every 10 nights you stay through them, you get one night free.

Since they got 6-10" last night and predictions are promising for higher elevations the next few days around Tahoe, where I can stay very inexpensively, drive my own vehicle and add to the 7 days so far on my pass at Kirkwood and Heavenly, that is where I am now going.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi John

I skied Red on January 2 and 3 and Whitewater January 4 and 5.

I had a great time at both resorts, but conditions were average. Both hills received a lot of snow in the days prior to my arrival....and New Year's crowds to ski off the obvious lines.

This was followed by a significant inversion. The top of Red was above 0 celcius both days. The south facing slopes (Paradise and the "front" side of Grey) were spring like. The snow had a workable crust in the morning, and softened throughout the day. Snow on the Northern faces stayed wintery. We mostly skied the north side of Granite: Doug's run, the Coolers, Sarah's, Booty's, Cambodia/Roots/Needles etc. We found fresh powder in the tighter spaces, but it was tough to maintain flow there. More open spaces still skied nicely. Cliffy areas were challenging, partially because of lower coverage and sumps and such in the takoff and landing. Partly because I wimp out on anything higher than me 90% of the time :)

At Red, the Powderfields is normally my favorite area, but the snow here was a bit heavy, it was a bit bushy with alders, and there were definitely some rocks. Enjoyable, but not all time.

I was still sad to leave.

Similar story with Whitewater, but better snow. Everything off the summit was skiing great. No consistent pow lines, but a turn or two here and there. Generally forgiving winter snow.

Skier's left on Glory (except the Trash area) was spring like...not entirely unplesant, but a bit of work. The chair and skier's right was great except for the breakline glades which need more snow to cover the christmas trees and bushes. Backside was good the whole way down. We had sun and an inversion on our first day...i skied in a soft shell, but wet snow (liz swears it was rain...it wasn't) on the second day.

We left Nelson on the 6th with wet snow in town.

Again, I was sad to leave, but wasn't blown away by the conditions.

Skied Revelstoke yesterday. Better snow than we had at White or Red. Not deep, but soft.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cheap Lodging:

I have stayed at the Dancing Bear Hostel in Nelson, and I recommend it for budget digs.
I last stayed at the Mountain Shadow Hostel in Rossland 10 years ago, and had a good vibe, but wasn't super clean, or as nice as the one in Nelson.

For this trip I stayed at the Flying Steamshovel in Rossland. Nice enough rooms, no cleaning service...above a popular bar but noise wasn't too bad. About 110 per night. Okay.
I stayed at the Alpine Inn and Suites in Nelson. Smaller room, but very clean. Easy walk to get downtown. About 90/night. Recommended.

There is a (free?) bus from Rossland to Red. Whitewater offers a bus as well, but there is a fee for that one. The roads are okay....they aren't busy highways and the snow maintenance is good enough, but don't expect bare pavement.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Sky has a great base and it is snowing now. Tickets are pricey, but skiing 5,000 acres+ with only a few others is nice.

Sponsor

Staff online