• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Large man in need of advice.

Aspen/Tahoe

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for some new skis for next season. First, a little background. I am 39 years old, 6'3 285 Lbs. I lived in Tahoe for 5 years and now Aspen for 4 years. I ski 20 - 50 days per year. I like to ski off piste when its good, but I ski all over the mountain. I like to charge pretty hard, but I am starting to slow down as I get older. Most equipment isn't designed for someone my size skiing the way that I do. My current quiver is as follows: Blizzard Brahma, (187, 2016 model) Bonafide, (187, 2014 model) Bodacious (196, 2013 model. Too big and heavy. Almost never take them out) Rossignol Super 7 (Free demos from work every year. Too soft for 90% of the time)

I am looking for something to replace my tried and true Bonafides. I love them and plan on keeping them, but they are pretty beat up. My gut is telling me to just get another pair, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I am toying with the idea of the Black Crows Corvus or maybe a set of Mantras.Not sure if the Corvus will be worth the cost. Almost twice as much. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just stick with Blizzard? Thanks.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You might even want to talk to Keith at Praxis and go custom. He can probably make you a 9D8 in the beefy flex. It would be worth asking him his thoughts.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
As someone only a bit lighter and shorter than you, the biggest reservation I have with the Corvus is it is pretty light. If that sounds appealing it might be great, if that sounds terrible I would pass.

Also worth looking at the Moment Commander (more camber, also light), ON3P wrenegade Ti and K2 Mindbender (the 99 Ti is beefy) lines.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
. I am 39 years old, 6'3 285 Lbs.

I am looking for something to replace my tried and true Bonafides.
I came in here to tag @Drahtguy Kevin, because he gets out on a lot of big skis during our testing process.
He beat me to it.

The 4FRNT MSP 99 is worth a gander. The Volkl Mantra 102 is as well.

Came in to suggest this.
Where does the Mindbender 99 fit?

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
What exactly do you want out of this ski? "I like to ski off piste, but..." kind of infers that you want strong groomer/crud performance and a bit of 'racey' GS feel. Is that off base? You also mention you do not like your wider ski, and you have an 88, so... do you really want a 100ish ski? Skis like the Mindbender 108 are pretty darn great. I use a 2020 Fischer Ranger 107ti as a daily driver when there is enough snow to be off carving skis (which, as far as I'm concerned, is pretty much all winter).

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
What exactly do you want out of this ski? "I like to ski off piste, but..." kind of infers that you want strong groomer/crud performance and a bit of 'racey' GS feel. Is that off base? You also mention you do not like your wider ski, and you have an 88, so... do you really want a 100ish ski? Skis like the Mindbender 108 are pretty darn great. I use a 2020 Fischer Ranger 107ti as a daily driver when there is enough snow to be off carving skis (which, as far as I'm concerned, is pretty much all winter).

It's a good question - I thought he was saying he overpowered skis and wanted a charger, but then he said the Bodacious is too big and heavy. Maybe he wants a ski he won't overpower which is also light-ish? Not sure.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will the 2020 Kastle FX line hold up for big guys?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for some new skis for next season. First, a little background. I am 39 years old, 6'3 285 Lbs. I lived in Tahoe for 5 years and now Aspen for 4 years. I ski 20 - 50 days per year. I like to ski off piste when its good, but I ski all over the mountain. I like to charge pretty hard, but I am starting to slow down as I get older. Most equipment isn't designed for someone my size skiing the way that I do. My current quiver is as follows: Blizzard Brahma, (187, 2016 model) Bonafide, (187, 2014 model) Bodacious (196, 2013 model. Too big and heavy. Almost never take them out) Rossignol Super 7 (Free demos from work every year. Too soft for 90% of the time)

I am looking for something to replace my tried and true Bonafides. I love them and plan on keeping them, but they are pretty beat up. My gut is telling me to just get another pair, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I am toying with the idea of the Black Crows Corvus or maybe a set of Mantras.Not sure if the Corvus will be worth the cost. Almost twice as much. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just stick with Blizzard? Thanks.

I can tell you that Blizzard lowered the turn radius on the Bonafides, and although it's "just a number" the current generation Bonafides are not suitable for charging at high speeds; I ( a lightweight on the second longest length) found they carve and work very well while making tighter turns than you can make at high speed and they smear and drift very well at low speeds, but for high speed long radius turns they simply want to drift when I want to turn.

DTSugarbushVT

Booting up
Skier

How is the 107ti on hard snow? What length are you skiing?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Ben on the 185 Nordica Enforcer 100 for 2 seasons as the daily driver. I'm not your size, but not small either 6' 225 lbs. It really does qualify as "all mountain". Use it in a lot of side country/trees/ bowls/groomer/crud/..... It is stable and does a very good job with all of it. They are everywhere and are always on sale from somebody. A nice ski that you can push or cruise on, and the have a forgiveness factor.

You could do worse.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rossi Experience 100 used to be quite burly and good for big guys. Maybe its replacement, the Experience 94, would be worth looking at.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
How is the 107ti on hard snow? What length are you skiing?
I'm on the 189cm, it rips for something that is 107 underfoot. I like it a lot, I liked the 108 that it replaced, but this is much burlier (which I didn't love in the narrower 92 and 99, but really like in the 107) yet the shape allows it to still feel quick and easy to smear. It's a neat combo, kind of a modern day Cochise.

DTSugarbushVT

Booting up
Skier
I'm on the 189cm, it rips for something that is 107 underfoot. I like it a lot, I liked the 108 that it replaced, but this is much burlier (which I didn't love in the narrower 92 and 99, but really like in the 107) yet the shape allows it to still feel quick and easy to smear. It's a neat combo, kind of a modern day Cochise.

Thanks Mike! Music to my ears... My everyday has been a Stormrider 107. Think this could be perfect for VT.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So I have a very similar physic (size and weight to you) though I have managed to ski off 35lbs this year :) That said I completely understand where you are coming from. Used to have a pair of Soul 7s, way to soft and floppy. Right now I have the following in my quiver
Volkl V-werks RTM - my early seasons ski that I have had forever
Stockli Laser SX - Carving ski for ripping up the groomers
ENforcer 93 - my daily driver for the last 3 years which I am going to swap for a Stockli SR 95
Enforcer 110 - I use this on POW days, but really like the flex profile and the way it handles in all conditions

My personal recommendation is to try out the Enforcer 110. You said you liked to ski off piste and this ski excels there but it is also great on groomers and can hold an edge in just about any condition. more importantly great for big guys and lots of fun.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First, a little background. I am 39 years old, 6'3 285 Lbs. I lived in Tahoe for 5 years and now Aspen for 4 years. I ski 20 - 50 days per year. I like to ski off piste when its good, but I ski all over the mountain. I like to charge pretty hard, but I am starting to slow down as I get older. Most equipment isn't designed for someone my size skiing the way that I do. My current quiver is as follows: Blizzard Brahma, (187, 2016 model) Bonafide, (187, 2014 model) Bodacious (196, 2013 model. Too big and heavy. Almost never take them out) Rossignol Super 7 (Free demos from work every year. Too soft for 90% of the time)

Hard to give good advice without a little more info on what type of ski and where you want it to shine. I am 6'4", 240lbs, so I know where you are coming from about skis for Clydes.

You own freeride skis, so does that mean you don't like carvers? I initially was going to suggest the Head Monster 98 or the Kastle MX98/99. They are both good all over the mtn, but they are carver based skis. The Rosi 92 suggestion is the same category.

Want a wide ski that skis "narrow" for its width, then get a Moment Bibby Pro, now renamed to Moment Wildcat. You need the 190cm length. This is the best ski I have ever skied, bar none. It can easily replace a 100mm ski like the Bonafide and cover the bodacious space as well. These are the most versatile playful chargers on the market, in my opinion. Except for boiler plate, they are fun on groomers and everything else. They are 115mm wide, so you need a narrower ski to pair with them, which you have, the Brahma.

Lastly, you could look at 100-108 skis, which will be less carver and more "all mtn, freeride" type skis. The mantra 102mm would be good, ON3P makes some good burly skis for Clydes. Fisher ranger 107 another to consider. There are lots to consider in this category.

The two skis I own, in the width range of your Bones are the Liberty Origin 96 and the Blizzard Zero G 108 skis. Both work well for a Clyde, although you wouldn't think so at first look. The Liberty is race ski stiff in the middle and heavily rockered and softer tip/tail. The stiff middle makes it work. The Zero G is super light, but pretty stiff. Its a touring version of a Blizzard Cochise ski. The light weight makes it an entirely different experience from the Cochise, even though it skis the same. Its not for a boiler plate day, but it loves soft snow. The Head Kore skis are light and siff and might work, I have not been on one yet, but I will be next season. They hand flex pretty stiff, and might work similarly to my Zero G. I suspect they won't ski the same due to their shape, but they might be a fun, light, all around ski for a Clyde. The Zero G has a large side cut and some rocker, it will carve decent and you can slide the tails out and smear it at will. A really fun combination of traits for a ski. Its why the Cochise is such a popular ski. The Zero G reduces the weight from 2300 grams to 1700 grams, about 1.5 lbs per ski.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid