• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange - Thoughts on moving from 97 last to 100 last -?

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
Before I jump in the car to track down and try a pair of the new RX 130, wanted to solicit some opinion - anyone else moved from 97 MM to 100 MM last? I'm thinking about replacing my '12-13 RS 130 97 last, original liner (has held up pretty well), still using my 20 year old custom footbeds. Read the reviews and understand new generation keeps tight heel pocket even in the 100 MM last. In my current 97 last I needed just one moderate punch on 6th toe left foot, otherwise all stock. But I'm also getting older and not super thrilled skiing in VT when it is 5 degrees and my feet are not so toasty. Thoughts on differences in fit, edge/snow feel, etc? Thanks for reading.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The best boot is the one that fits, my opinion will always be to consult with a bootfitter. The only thing about the boots that I can say is that the RS is on a lugged sole and drives skis a bit harder. The RX although rated as a 130 may not feel as stiff as your RS. As for the fit the 100mm last does increase slightly in all areas of the boot, such as the instep area and midfoot.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
The Lange last changed with the dual core, tighter heel pocket
Slightly longer last and slightly wider in the forefoot, at least for my foot shape

You probably gonna need to shell check and try on both RX 130 LV & RX130 to see what works for your foot

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This was in the previous blue/green trim non-dual core models, but I went with the RS130 over a RX130 in 30.5 to get the narrower last because I could feel some slack in the RX. They could not find an RX130 LV in 30.5. The RS is still very snug and the liner has held up well. I've had a lot of work done on the toes for the right foot and less for the left. Maybe the new last would be better for my foot as the current 30.5 is a bit short. I ski in Vermont as well, but at 61 only get cold feet on the worst days below zero, so I guess they don't restrict my blood flow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I had the 16’ RS130’s and tried on the new RX130’s LV recently. Fit is similar but the flex of the RX130 felt nicer. More springy. At least at room temps. The non LV RX is not that much higher volume but then again the LV is not that low volume.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Tried on some boots. Currently in Lange rx100 LV with a 97 last. Tried on Lange rx 120 with a 100mm last and they feel bigger all over. Toes do not count because they were not low volume. Being a regular boot, the toes felt like they had way to much room for me. But we are all different. So get what fits. I like a fit that holds me place allover without banging the toes when they are tight. I hate buying boots love buying skis. Good luck. Had to order mine in.Bootfitter will keep them if I not get a good fit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
But I'm also getting older and not super thrilled skiing in VT when it is 5 degrees and my feet are not so toasty.

It might be worthwhile checking out heated footbeds or heated socks. Something to consider: If you currently ski with lightweight socks, then heated socks might be slightly thicker

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I'd get the 97mm RX. I skied for years in race boots. Then I decided I wanted something more comfortable and warmer and bought the RX130 (100). This was ok, but I found myself buckling the clog with a bit too much pressure, which then distorted the fit a bit. And when you have pressure on the top of your foot you get cold feet.

The best answer for cold feet is boot gloves and heated socks.

TS
RodneyBD

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
OP here, thanks for input, I just came across this thread that clarifies the newer mono-injected shells are definitely different than the previous mono-injected shell, so off to the shop I go...
https://www.pugski.com/threads/lange-rx130-painful.13544/

also thanks for thoughts on cold feet, my point is that when it is cold the RS shells are stiff as hell, you gotta work to keep the blood flowing.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I was skiing in 13-14 RS 120 with the 97 last. I typically ski/teach in the neighborhood of 75 days/year.After a couple of seasons they were pretty well packed out. So, summer of 2016 I went to my local shop and ordered a pair of the newer liners with the improved heel cup. Just what the doctor ordered. Move ahead to summer of 2018, my son is now working as a bootfitter decides I need a new pair of boots so we go to his shop one Sunday afternoon. I tried the RX and didn't like the fit over my instep at all. The RS fit well but, since I was taking a position as a high school coach which requires 2 or more hours of standing at the finish, we decided to try the XT 130 so I could flip it into "walk" mode and be able to stand upright instead of knees and ankles flexed (very tiring). I am happy with the XTs but if I were only skiing and not standing for hours, I would go back to the RS 120 again.

Karl

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
you can make boots bigger. going smaller and blowing out the areas you need help will provide the ultimate performance fit. if you just want out of the box comfort and a good overall fit, get a bigger last. just know that there could be a little room here and there in areas. as long as your ankle is locked in without any movement, you'll be ok

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before I jump in the car to track down and try a pair of the new RX 130, wanted to solicit some opinion - anyone else moved from 97 MM to 100 MM last? I'm thinking about replacing my '12-13 RS 130 97 last, original liner (has held up pretty well), still using my 20 year old custom footbeds. Read the reviews and understand new generation keeps tight heel pocket even in the 100 MM last. In my current 97 last I needed just one moderate punch on 6th toe left foot, otherwise all stock. But I'm also getting older and not super thrilled skiing in VT when it is 5 degrees and my feet are not so toasty. Thoughts on differences in fit, edge/snow feel, etc? Thanks for reading.

I tried on both, and went with the 100. I've got big bumps on both feet, near the midpoint, and the LVs were going to take a LOT of punching. The MVs just needed a normal-sized punch, and I was off to the races. Heel volume felt the same in both.

I've only skied them four days, but so far, so good. Not quite the performance of my Raptor 140s, but SO much easier to remove in a cold parking lot.

Finally, I went from stock booster strap, to actual Booster Straps, to putting my Raptor straps onto the Langes. Me likey.

Marshall Barnes

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

I would have your bootfitter take a look at your footbed, 20 years sounds like a lot of abuse for one pair, and it's entirely possible that after so many years they don't put your foot in the neutral/intented position like they used to.

Sponsor

Staff online