• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange RX130- Painful!!

PoppaSkiLove

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Ok so full disclosure. I'm a huge Lange fan. Have been on the RS120's through 3 generations and absolutely loved each blue iteration. I bought these Rx130's last spring, and walking around they felt awesome, super snug but comfortable too. Haven't had a chance to actually ski in them until today...

First run or 2 was awesome, so responsive and quick, felt like just an extension of my own body I was in full control. After that I noticed a progressive increase in pressure points. A run or 2 later, I was unbuckling with each lift up. An hour later, it became downright painful! I've been skiing for 30+ years and I don't ever recall noticing a boot was actually painful. Sometimes a bit uncomfortable bit this was an entirely new level. I'll be more specific:

I wear thin socks FYI. My R foot felt a big time pressure point over the medial part of my foot (I think the navicular or cuneiform). My L foot felt super tight around my Achilles weirdly enough. Both feet developed tingling and mild numbness which I've also never experienced from a ski boot.

I've always had a great fitting foot for Langes, is the RX130 that drastically different from the RS models of yesteryear? Is this just par for the boot break-in course? I'm heading up north in 2 days and I'd like to get this situation sorted prior. Any utility in going to a local shop for the heat treatment for molding with these boots? Pro boot fitter is obviously the most optimal though they are booked at least a week out. Any ideas?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Dual Core boot IS different from previous generations on both liner and shell shape so it makes sense in that what fit you then, might not fit you now. @Tricia is in the new boot and even after about 100 days in the boot, she is just graduating from a knee-high nylon to a regular ski sock!. The boot has a shug fit for sure. Sounds liek you just need to get some work done in the boot.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PoppaSkiLove I have the same boots too. Got them last fall (2017) and it took a few days to break in for me last season. This season, it took 4 days for the liner to remold around my feet to feet good again. My hot spot are the same numbness in the forefoot. But, I was able tough it out for the most part. I got a "small" punch done @Tricia that helped slightly, but have now determined it was more remolding the liner that helped. I have to remember that this is a needed process at the beginning of each season.

Long story short - (if you can) give the liners some time to mold to your feet.

Good luck.

TS
P

PoppaSkiLove

Skier
Thanks for the reply, gives me a little optimism as I really want to love these boots. Anyone think it's worthwhile to take it to my local shop for the heat molding treatment? I know we used to do that on older boots, not sure if it's needed on the new boots now.

CYJ

Booting up
Skier
I'd definitely take them in to a boot fitter to get them heat molded. The boot fitter should start with an shell fit/assessment which may uncover other fit issues causing your symptoms that may or may not be fixed by just baking the liners.

DUKE

Skier
Ok so full disclosure. I'm a huge Lange fan. Have been on the RS120's through 3 generations and absolutely loved each blue iteration. I bought these Rx130's last spring, and walking around they felt awesome, super snug but comfortable too. Haven't had a chance to actually ski in them until today...

First run or 2 was awesome, so responsive and quick, felt like just an extension of my own body I was in full control. After that I noticed a progressive increase in pressure points. A run or 2 later, I was unbuckling with each lift up. An hour later, it became downright painful! I've been skiing for 30+ years and I don't ever recall noticing a boot was actually painful. Sometimes a bit uncomfortable bit this was an entirely new level. I'll be more specific:

I wear thin socks FYI. My R foot felt a big time pressure point over the medial part of my foot (I think the navicular or cuneiform). My L foot felt super tight around my Achilles weirdly enough. Both feet developed tingling and mild numbness which I've also never experienced from a ski boot.

I've always had a great fitting foot for Langes, is the RX130 that drastically different from the RS models of yesteryear? Is this just par for the boot break-in course? I'm heading up north in 2 days and I'd like to get this situation sorted prior. Any utility in going to a local shop for the heat treatment for molding with these boots? Pro boot fitter is obviously the most optimal though they are booked at least a week out. Any ideas?

I too have the same boots and the same symptoms! While most boots usually require a break-in period, I'm starting to wonder if these boots will ever come around. My wife is beginning to get tired of me complaining , it's usually the other way around.....

Sponsor

Staff online