• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange RX missing flex bolt. What size?

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Cheers gang—I have a pair of Lange RX130 from approximately 2015. They feature 2 bolts on the spine that could be removed to adjust the flex. I just noticed that one has gone missing. Anyone know the size/thread for this thing? I’m leaving for a ski trip in two days and would like to replace it with anything that will fit.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
When I lost one, I took the other out and took it to a hardware and matched the thread sizes. Replacement looks funky but works.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
When I lost one, I took the other out and took it to a hardware and matched the thread sizes. Replacement looks funky but works.

That works, just make it stainless and use a washer if it’s a cap screw.

Or find a nice IPA or stout and visit your local ski tech, they likely have a few in a drawer some place

James

Out There
Instructor
Lange plug bolts are terrible at falling out. Pretty much have to use locktite. I went on a 9 day trip and made sure to tighten them before. Sometime into the trip I noticed one of the damn bolts was gone.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Lange plug bolts are terrible at falling out. Pretty much have to use locktite. I went on a 9 day trip and made sure to tighten them before. Sometime into the trip I noticed one of the damn bolts was gone.

The RX bolts like to jump out too, locktite blue works great.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once you're past the stopgap, you can get a replacement from Lange/Rossi pretty quickly, if you can't find one at a local shop. As I recall, they are in or near Salt Lake City, and respond quickly to a request for such a bolt. I know they did for me. (The first time, they sent the wrong bolt(s) overnight, but when I called back about the problem again, they sent the right one overnight.) Really great folks, over the phone - in their tech department. Mine now have blue locktite.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These things are a minor PITA.

FWIW, I keep a small, folding hex tool on the counter by the boot dryer, and check the spine and ankle bolts "every once in awhile".

There's one in my road trip travel bag, too.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once you're past the stopgap, you can get a replacement from Lange/Rossi pretty quickly, if you can't find one at a local shop. As I recall, they are in or near Salt Lake City, and respond quickly to a request for such a bolt. I know they did for me. (The first time, they sent the wrong bolt(s) overnight, but when I called back about the problem again, they sent the right one overnight.) Really great folks, over the phone - in their tech department. Mine now have blue locktite.

@ski otter 2 Do you have a phone number or website for their best contact to order these?

My wife lost another bolt at Alta this year. She checked the other one after we saw the first was missing and it was just about ready to fall out as well! Fortunately, I had remembered to pack the one extra bolt she had:D, but now that’s in use and I don’t want her to be stuck without a replacement. Gotta remember to pull them out and Locktite them again even more (I think I already did them once!)

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
I measured one I happened to have lying around my toolbox, 4mm x 0.7mm thread pitch, 10mm long. With a 13mm head diameter.

As for where to find them? Hopefully your helpful local neighborhood ski shop!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll rummage around for details from back then (not at home right now, been skiing). My local shops didn't have them at the time.

Looking it up just now online, it's the Rossignol Group USA in Park City, Utah. Their general info number is probably what I called first. They can direct you to someone/the right person, in the Lange technical support group there in Park City also, probably in the same building or sharing the same space/receptionist - which is what you want.
Different year and model boots have different spec bolts, so the more specific you can be the better. Number: 1-435-252-3300. Regular business hours, 8:30 AM to 5 PM, I believe, MST, Monday thru Friday.

As I said, I will look tonight or first thing in the morning for more, if I've saved it. (The person I eventually reached was definitely not just customer service or sales - a shop bench with parts in bins kind of guy, very nice. Let me know if that works or doesn't.

P.S. They actually sent me multiple pairs of bolts each time, trying to get the right one. A bunch of bolts, some of which worked. Free, at the time. (Both shipping and bolts.)

Last edited:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got around to calling Rossi Group (used the 435-252-3300) and got through to parts & left a message with the boot details. They called me back very quickly and said that flex bolts are $2/pair, plus shipping. So, not free, but still cheap considering.

One thing that suprised me (after @ski otter 2’s comments about getting multiple bolts) was that the guy said the flex bolts are all the same. So I ordered 4 pairs, just to be on the super safe side & bc I am paying for shipping too. Hopefully they send the correct bolts!

They also said they would send me an email once the bolts have shipped. I haven’t seen one yet, but I just called yesterday, so not super surprising.

Will update as I get more info & I see if they are actually the correct size.

I'll rummage around for details from back then (not at home right now, been skiing). My local shops didn't have them at the time.

Looking it up just now online, it's the Rossignol Group USA in Park City, Utah. Their general info number is probably what I called first. They can direct you to someone/the right person, in the Lange technical support group there in Park City also, probably in the same building or sharing the same space/receptionist - which is what you want.
Different year and model boots have different spec bolts, so the more specific you can be the better. Number: 1-435-252-3300. Regular business hours, 8:30 AM to 5 PM, I believe, MST, Monday thru Friday.

As I said, I will look tonight or first thing in the morning for more, if I've saved it. (The person I eventually reached was definitely not just customer service or sales - a shop bench with parts in bins kind of guy, very nice. Let me know if that works or doesn't.

P.S. They actually sent me multiple pairs of bolts each time, trying to get the right one. A bunch of bolts, some of which worked. Free, at the time. (Both shipping and bolts.)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had this problem with my RS130 and took a loose screw to the hardware store. I found a screw that fit, but the panhead was kind of small even with a washer. So I ordered a flanged version from ebay and still used a washer. M5 x 12 was the right size, so apparently they do use different sizes. I used Loctite on the new screws.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Local Lange dealer should have them. We always keep them on hand.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Local Lange dealer should have them. We always keep them on hand.
And any racer or skiing professional worth their salt doesn't sell ubl boots but pulls the hardware off and keeps screws and buckles around for such a need.

Reactions: ejj

Sponsor