• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Lake Placid / Whiteface guide and help?

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Coming to Lake Placid and Whiteface mountain from March 5th till March 9th. It's our first time over there and would really appreciate for some tips&tricks from your past experience...
How did you spend your time in LP besides skiing, what is good to see, try and do? Coming with a friend so we are also looking for a fun such nice bars or local breweries, food and even night out.
We will stay in "Hampton inn" hotel and looking forward to see whats all about that cute Olympic town of LP and skiing at Whiteface.

Thank You!

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
There is a lot of Olympic history to take in. If you skate, take a couple of loops on the outdoor track. See if there is a show at the arena. The town itself has a lot of good spots to hang, but i don’t remember specifics since I haven’t been in a few years.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I liked Lake Placid and Whiteface. The top of the mountain will probably be open and it's a decent hill. The mid lodge burned down..I'll miss that chili. There is a bit of a funnel effect there from the mid to the bottom. The Wilmington Trail is fun if it's open, on Lookout Mountain. Kinda old school rambling trail. And the two blacks on Lookout are fun too, good steep pitch.

The town is nice and quaint. We skated the oval..I don't know that it's refrigerated so you may have an issue if it warms up. All the eating places seemed more upscale and family friendly. Drunken stupidity seemed frowned upon..which obviously doesn't sit well with me.. :ogbiggrin:

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I've gotten drunk in LP my share of times. Nightlife isnt raging, but there is fun to be had. I remember (sort of) having a good time at the bar with the bobsled in front... Too many shots (some on the house)!!! Many years ago I hit a locals bar in Wilmington that had a band playing. That was great... but I don't recall exactly where it was or if it's still even there. It was in a motel somewhere along the 86. LP Brewpub is also fun.

Are you into outdoor activities? There's lots of wilderness in every direction around LP if you're into x-country skiing or snowshoeing. I snowshoed to Copperas Pond last winter which was a short but challenging trip due to the steep climb up the ridge. The view and the feeling of solitude at the pond was awesome.

Attachments

• 20190201_135738.jpg
    20190201_135738.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 5

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Take a trip to the jumping facility and go to the top of the jump tower...and look down the in-run. I couldn't believe people do that voluntarily LOL

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
For starters, tour the Olympic facilities. That includes, as mentioned by others, bobsled run you can DO, ski jump you can look at, skating ring you can skate and xc ski trails you can ski (and back country ski/snowshoe trails too).

As for nightlife, plan to go to bed early.
If you’re going to bed early in Lake Placid, you’re missing out on the ice dancing & figure skating show on weekend evening!

Not to mention the variety of lively bars and nice restaurants. — well, I guess you can do both and still go to bed early. I did. Like going to bed at 10:30, which is early for me.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
regarding food and beverage....

def check out lake placid brewery, the cottage, smoke signals (killer BBQ there), and the breakfast club (great place to snag brunch, huge portions, reasonable price).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have not been there this year but did ski there last year. I have always liked Whiteface, you can find a variety of trails to ski. Lake Placid is a quaint little town, parking can be difficult depending on the day but a lot to see as others have said already. If your interested in finding some sales you may enjoy the few outlets in the center of town. The restaurants are not bad but nothing really stands out to my memory. One thing I do remember is the company that sells Olive Oil that is flavored with a lot of different spices. My none-skiing wife likes that place and always brings home several bottles of the fancy Olive oil. I think @karlo skis Whiteface and he may be able to share additional information.

James

Out There
Instructor
It seems like the now named Herb Brooks arena, the 1980 hockey venue, is open all night and day Fri and Saturday. Presumably for skating. The famous 1980 scoreboard was replaced in 2017.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I like the mountain because there’s a good amount of vertical and relatively uncrowded trails.

Other things include cross country skiing at Cascades (rentals available), bobsled riding, hikes, dogsled riding on Mirror Lake, ice skating was n front of the high school on the Olympic speed skating track, the Miracle on Ice tour at the Olympic Center, snow showing anywhere but Adirondak Loj is a good place in particular, ice skating around Mirror Lake if open to skating, Ice climbing or ski touring with Rock n River in Keene, the movies and the candy store across the street. The bakery next to the movie theater.

I like Top of the Park for tapas-style dinner (big party, reserve their only large table), Wyatt’s for tacos and burritos, Mirror Lake Inn for fine dining, the Cottage (also at Mirror Lake Inn) for lunch by the lake. Lisa G’s for dinner and pool table.

Sorry, I won’t be there. Would have liked to get together for a few runs.

Oh, and did I mention the Snowsports School at Whiteface?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
All of what @Large Squirrel said for food. bloody mary's at the cottage are the best.
Also the Big Slide- thursday a Pint of Beer and slice of Pizza!https://www.lakeplacid.com/events/pizza-and-pint-night-0
and YES The Mt is great= LOTS OF VERTICAL.. Snow on the way too!

Do the Olympic venue- can go to the top of the jumps, stand on the podiums, the ice skating rink. Dog sled rides on Mirror lake
It's a fun town! ENJOY!

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
If you like burritos, go to Wyatt's. The "quesarito" there is unreal. Don't plan another meal for the rest of the day.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
regarding food and beverage....

def check out lake placid brewery, the cottage, smoke signals (killer BBQ there), and the breakfast club (great place to snag brunch, huge portions, reasonable price).
Thank You! Lake Placid brewery is literally next to hotel where we staying - "Hamptonn In". Will check everything else as well

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Nobody mentioned some place called "Roomers? Isn't that like a night club with live music etc?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I just got off the phone with a friend that skied Whiteface on this past Saturday and he said they had a lot of snow. Trails that have not been open in a while were open with plenty of coverage. Then he said they ate dinner at a place called The Black Bear and it was good. That was his report and when it comes to restaurants he can be critical, but I trust his judgement.

Sponsor

Staff online