• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Lake Louise World Cup

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
looking for local insight about Lake Louise during the women's world cup races next weekend. I'll be in Banff, planning on skiing for the weekend, and was wondering if skiing LL is possible (or even advisable) during the races. I'm happy to stick to Sunshine for the weekend, but would probably ski LL as well if it's reasonable. Any thoughts?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
looking for local insight about Lake Louise during the women's world cup races next weekend. I'll be in Banff, planning on skiing for the weekend, and was wondering if skiing LL is possible (or even advisable) during the races. I'm happy to stick to Sunshine for the weekend, but would probably ski LL as well if it's reasonable. Any thoughts?

I usually ski Lake Louise during the races. I don't usually watch much. Most people on the hill will be skiing, not walking.

Things will seem busy for November, but not busy compared to later in the season. There will be some disruption in skiing, but it is pretty minor. Typically, there is one spot available to cross the course, usually at the bottom of the summit platter, although for the W-Super G, they might let you cross above the course. Just line up and the race official will give you the clear to cross. The minor hassle keeps everyone away from the Summit lift.

The hill will usually close one additional run (often Ladie's Downhill) for training, running skis etc.

In my opinion, it isn't enough of an inconvenience to keep me away.....and it can be fun to catch part of the race.

It's surprisingly low key. Canadians don't get into it like Europeans

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Crowd wise it'll be fine... its really not that big a deal here. It’s never been a factor for me (for or against) when planning when to go or not go...

Yes they’ll have the downhill course run closed off but often have course marshall’s at certain points directing you as to when you can cross. I’ve been there at both men's and women's d/hill weekends and haven't been concerned about crowding/lift lines.

I’d pay more attention to who’s got the best conditions and most terrain open the days you want to go. If LL has limited terrain open then that may have a more concentrating effect...but again I’d still go with which hill’s in better shape.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Thanks guys! That's just the feedback I was looking for. Currently, it looks like SSV has more terrain open, but I do like me some Lake Louise, so if things are kind of comparable by next weekend, I just might Lake It for the day!

Sponsor

Staff online