• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lacrosse ad

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, I know I'm not supposed to click on ads. Junk mail and viruses. But the graphics looked cool and I couldn't figure out what they were selling.

Lacrosse sticks!? Are Pugs the lacrosse demographic? Maybe I should try it. The analytics know best.

Hey, I read the ad and thought about it. Better than a robo call (can we make those illegal?). I hope that helps Phil and Trish. But I'm a long way from a purchase.

Hmmm, how padded are lacrosse players. I snowboard in hockey pads.

Eric

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I know I'm not supposed to click on ads. Junk mail and viruses. But the graphics looked cool and I couldn't figure out what they were selling.

Lacrosse sticks!? Are Pugs the lacrosse demographic? Maybe I should try it. The analytics know best.

Hey, I read the ad and thought about it. Better than a robo call (can we make those illegal?). I hope that helps Phil and Trish. But I'm a long way from a purchase.

Eric

Lacrosse is fun! Pads are a little lighter than hockey.

Should be snowboarding in hockey breezers. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Bigger helmet, less padding. No padded pants or shin guards.
Great game. For one thing they score goals. 13 for one side is pretty common. The Ncaa championships are this weekend! They'll be on tv. Last couple years have seen games cone down to the final seconds.
Yale will be in the final four for the first time since 1990.
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2018/...hampionship-maryland-albany-yale-duke-foxboro

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
For the record, the women don't wear all those pads (goalie excluded). Granted, body checking is illegal in the women's game, but the ball still hurts like a mother when it hits you. Same with a field hockey ball. Haven't played either since high school, but those sports are no joke. In field hockey we wore shin guards - when the ball or a wooden stick accidentally hits your shins....ouch. But no helmets, no other pads, just mouthguards (though this was the 80s/early 90s).

Women are tough.

James

Out There
Instructor
Helmets are coming for women. Concussions are through the roof. Talk about a stubborn resistance to change. When did they allow plastic head sticks? The 90's? Before that it was close to what the Indians used. The constant whistles for all sorts of violations make the w's game difficult to watch. I suspect that will change too. In fact now I prefer to watch softball.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The game has evolved a ton, and not all for the better. You think ski parents are over the top? Haha. Where you kid had "committed" to play college lacrosse is almost topic A in the cocktail party circuit in my town. Glad we're past that.

I'll have some obnoxious person asks me if I have heard of the sport. Hmm. The cliff notes is that My dad played through college, in the 1930's, and was a three time All-American, while being selected to ski in the 1940 Winter Olympics that were never held. He was the crappy athlete among my parents. My mom played on national teams in both field hockey and lacrosse, and was an exceptional alpine racer. Sports were a pretty big part of our family life.

My mom was a college coach from the early 40's until I was about six, 1960, when we moved to Switzerland. My brother and I never had baseball gloves and had sticks as toddlers. We both played lacrosse and skied at the NCAA level in college. We actually both played three sports. That seems like 200 years ago. One of the things that really was upsetting to us was the fact that our kids had to make a choice as to "which sport to go all in one.....at a high level" when they were 13. One generation....what a change.

My nieces ski raced, sort of through, through prep school and went on to be very, very good D1 lacrosse players. When our son begged us to let him ski year round, his lacrosse coaches {club and school} were idiots. He was a future D1 AA. Can't miss. Yeah, sure he was. Don't make this worse. He loved lacrosse, but not as much as skiing. Our daughter was a pretty exceptional lacrosse player, though middle school. Very natural.....good athlete, but for that age just better stick skills and field awareness than anybody else.....plus fastest kid on the field. Having Grandma and Mom in the picture helped, plus the older cousins. She had just been around the game since she was a toddler.

We still have a goal in the yard, and still will play catch when the kids are home. I built a 10 foot tall, 24 foot wide brick faced concrete wall in our former back yard for "wall ball." We'd joke that we wanted to have people guessing as to whether they were righties or lefties!

Our kids had wonderful experiences as ski racers, but damn, they really missed this sport, and it was pretty sad to give up watching them as parents. A lot more relaxing than watching a 15 year old racing FIS DH, and NorAms. This was before the NCAA really condoned early recruiting of 8th graders. The sport at the D1 level, outside of the Ivy League is not my cup of tea. Serious, serious business. High level D3, both genders is great. We still follow it.

Our son almost tried to play both sports in college. College lacrosse coach saw him screwing around in the field house with some lax buddies, and was all over him. It was a very good lacrosse program. It was just impossible with the calendar. Too bad. Makes me nostalgic for the old days. Man, I am getting old.

Do not want to think about our family concussion history in lacrosse, and skiing. Fingers crossed. The mens game has weeded out a LOT of the collisions that took place in decades past. Things that were routine would be a three minute non-releasable penalty today. For good reason. Women's game seems to be faster, rougher. Serious athleticism at the higher levels. I think helmets, which I agree are coming will not help things.

It's NCAA championship weekend in lacrosse, BTW. D1 men's Championship game will be played Monday.
NCAA semis are on ESPN right now. Watching Duke-Maryland. Duke up 4-0 early.

It's all streamed on NCAA.com , and some games on are on the various EPSN channels. D3 Championship game is 1PM on Sunday. Salisbury State {MD} vs Wesleyan {CT}.

The D3 game is normally a great one to watch.

Games are being played in Foxboro, MA. Home of the Patriots.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yale destroyed Albany 20-11!
Maryland trying to come back against Duke. It's now 8-7. Maryland didn't score for almost 19 min at the beginning.

Muleski

Inactive
Yep, watched/watching both. Albany had a great season but really looked asleep in this game. Which is NOT their style. As @James no doubt knows, Albany has has a lot of Native Americans play there in recent years. They have a special academic program, and great culture and support. They tend to play an incredibly quick game, in tight space, quick passes and instant shots. Not today. Yale was great.

I think we're looking at a Duke-Yale final. Kind of neat. These guys are "real" student athletes.

This Duke-MD game is being played at a frantic pace. It's shockingly hot at the game. 90+ and humid. Have not had that weather in MA this spring. Has to be hot on the turf at Gillette. Keep getting texts form a friend who's there with his adult sons. Two played for Duke. exciting stuff.

Skiing is "our thing", with both skis working in the business, but we love this sport. Both kids are watching in their respective mountain towns......

People not familiar with the game are often shocked at just how fast it is. Was billed as "The fastest Game on Two Feet" for years. My mother had that bumper sticker on a series of her cars for about 20 years. Right along with "Caution! This car makes wide GS turns!" Actually that one was later on.....Haha.

James

Out There
Instructor
I missed the Yale game unfortunately.

Maryland got close but then just got too swept up in looking for the perfect shot. So much posession on attack in the fourth but little to show for it. Drives me crazy. Then Duke just took advantage of opportunities and kept it out of reach.

Muleski

Inactive
I saw Duke play, in person, a month or so ago. They had a slow start to the season. What struck me was that they are big....like huge big, and fast, and obviously incredibly skilled. The MD freshman for Utah, last year's top middle recruit, Bubba Fairman is something to watch. Rumored to be a great kid. Deerfield PG.

The difference between the top half of the D1 field and the bottom is pretty astounding. See it all her in the Northeast. Of course even more of a spread with D3.

If people turn in to watch the D3 game tomorrow, you'll see a lot of D1 talent. Mixed in with some guys who were a bit too small, etc.

Fun stuff.......

scott43

Skier
I'm hoping the kid likes either box or field..preferably field..I had a few friends that played Junior A box with guys like..Brendan Shanahan, Joe Nieuwenedyk, Adam Oates..

Muleski

Inactive
One of my college hockey playing {he played hockey, I skied} buddies, and his brother both played Junior A box back in the 70's for the summer season.....under different names, lest the NCAA be watching. Neither placed field lacrosse in college, but WOW was it fun to see what they could do. Amazing how many US college lacrosse guys with Canadian box experience are just killing it. The box game teaches you some very special skills. Like you don't have this big bag of a pocket, and all day to wind up. Tight spacing, quick moves, etc. Fun.

If I'm not mistaken, one of those NHL players scored 30 points in a box game. Might have been Oates? I think I hear that back when he was in Boston, playing for the Bruins. Wow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good thread... I got to see some of the Yale/Albany game today... I typically root for Syracuse since the Gait brothers days, but don't follow it much anymore.

It's nice to see it still growing and getting more exposure... I played in high school in the Pittsburgh area, and it wasn't very popular - there were only 12 teams in western PA. It was pretty much only popular from DC up the NE corridor through Boston. But western PA is up to 38 teams now and multiple divisions. It would be nice to continue to see it grow.

I still can't get into MLL for some reason though... I wonder what could be done to make it a better spectator sport.

scott43

Skier
The Toronto Rock are decently popular here..but it's not a core sport..it ebbs and flows...still, good to see..

Muleski

Inactive
NLL and MLL are two different leagues. NLL is indoor box. MLL is outdoor field.....

Yes, MLL's a bit of a struggle, though some franchise are doing a bit better. Every MLL payer has another, often "real" job. Like finance in NYC. I know a couple of guys who have owned MLL franchises. Typically passionate ex-players who have made a killing as entrepreneurs in other ventures, do this for fun and because they are passionate about the game and want to see it grow. Surely not to make money.

Need to find a recent article about the relative value of the Boston Pro franchises in every sport. Slight disparity between the Patriots and the Cannons, HaHa. Cannons are MLL. One of the originals.

Muleski

Inactive
Colorado is surprisingly BIG into lacrosse. Has been for some time. A LOT of top level college guys from CO. One of my son's best friends, from the East, was one of Tierney's first goalies at DU. Tierney's son, Trevor, was the goalie coach at DU, and the goalie for the MLL team. The MLL team did draw very well.

Tierney has a VERY nice "gig" at DU. Highest paid coach in the sport at the time he moved. Still top five. Nice lifestyle. He is an absolute legend.

Now that most of the BIG 10 is playing lacrosse, there is talk that the PAC Ten will follow. Utah is about to start playing D1 NCAA lacrosse. Some other big schools have exceptional "Club teams" thats sure look and feel like varsity programs.....but avoid any Title Nine issues.

In my town of 25K residents, we have something like 800 kids saying youth lacrosse. Baseball and softball {in particular} are dying. Kids love the game. Of course they weed out, like in any other sort as they get older.

I have friends my age, 60+, who play active club lacrosse. Huge tournaments in places like Vail and Lake Placid. I retired from it a while ago.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Great thread- it's nice to see the nationwide growth of the sport over the years. I grew up on the east coast in the DC area. My parents wouldn't let me play football because they thought I would get hurt- so I learned to play lacrosse- they didn't know what it was! (until later when the found out it was less pads, and a bunch of guys hitting each other with bodies and sticks)... I ended up playing D1 lacrosse in college. Admittedly college lacrosse at the D1 level is more like a job. Later in life, I had more fun playing beer league hockey than my memories of playing lacrosse once it became a "job". After college I moved to Colorado to work, ski and spent a few years in my spare time coaching high school lacrosse in the Denver area. Everything has changed so much in the sport since those days,

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good thread. I went to school at Cornell and was there for the 1976 and 1977 national championships, with players like Mike French and Eamon MacEnenany (sp?), one or both of whom were Canadian box lacrosse players, and Richie Moran was the coach. Now, I'm fortunate to be a college lax fan in Denver area where Bill Tierney has really breathed some life into the Denver University program which itself has attracted a lot of high school kids to a game that used to largely be an unknown in Colorado.

Sponsor

Staff online