• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kulkea Heated Boot Bag?

Yardsale

Crashing builds character.
Skier
Good summer everyone,

Our family skimobile is a crew cab pickup with fiberglass topper/shell/canopy/whatever you like to call it.

With 4 or 5 of us in the cab, it’s tough to get all our boots in the cab also, but we really like warm boots, so...

Do the Kulkea heated bags have enough insulation to keep boots warm in say 10 degree ambient temps if I put the bags in the truck bed? (I have 12v ports wired up back there.)

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a full review:
To answer your question, I would be hesitant it putting it in an open bed, I am sure it will keep them warmer than in a normal bag.

Here is a chance to buy one and help a great organization:

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
With the heat on high and no wind/outside airflow hitting the bags while you are driving, I would guess that boots would be warm-ish. If enough air can get through to create a flow of air over the bags from outside, I think your hopes, rather than the bags and boots, would be toast. Me, I'd put the kids in the open bed to build character and give the seats in the cab over to the Kulkea bags ogsmile

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have 12v ports in the back you can plug the bag in. The bags are pretty well insulated and with a canopy protecting from the wind you should be fine. I've heated mine then drove to Mammoth which is about a 3.5 hour drive and the boots were still warm enough to get on easily. I like the boots just a bit warm on the inside; I really like the shell to be warm to get them on easily. If the inside is too hot then you sweat immediately and when the warmth goes away, ALL the warmth goes away!

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Get one and you will be hooked for life especially if you ski stiff boots.
Just like once a parson bites the bullet and gets a good roof top box they never go back to racks or keeping the skis inside the car.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good summer everyone,

Our family skimobile is a crew cab pickup with fiberglass topper/shell/canopy/whatever you like to call it.

With 4 or 5 of us in the cab, it’s tough to get all our boots in the cab also, but we really like warm boots, so...

Do the Kulkea heated bags have enough insulation to keep boots warm in say 10 degree ambient temps if I put the bags in the truck bed? (I have 12v ports wired up back there.)

Thanks!
Bid on this one. Proceeds go to the HOF and you get a great bag!

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the inside is too hot then you sweat immediately and when the warmth goes away
I've never got mine to that stage - I turn them on in the house with 110V while I have breakfast and then plug them in at the car on the 2 hour drive up to Snowbowl. They're then toasty warm which my feet appreciate, although as I said in another thread, there is always wailing and gnashing of teeth even with warm shells getting the feet into the boots (and out again at the end of the day). Having said that, the wailing and gnashing moves up an order of magnitude if the shells are cold.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just like once a parson bites the bullet and gets a good roof top box they never go back to racks or keeping the skis inside the car.

Much depends on application and specific situation. But definitely no open roof racks.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
With heated bags you have to be careful of getting your boots too hot.
I have found repeated use at higher temperatures can relax the punches in my heavily modded boots.
some of the high tech polymers used to mold boots have a ferocious memory and will return to their former shape if heated enough.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Crashing builds character.
Skier
With the heat on high and no wind/outside airflow hitting the bags while you are driving, I would guess that boots would be warm-ish. If enough air can get through to create a flow of air over the bags from outside, I think your hopes, rather than the bags and boots, would be toast. Me, I'd put the kids in the open bed to build character and give the seats in the cab over to the Kulkea bags ogsmile

LOL, now that’s an idea!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I’ve thought about building a “hot box” for boots out of an old ice chest/cooler. I could put a 12v oil pan heater pad or small air heater inside. It would be like a Cambro for ski boots...

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Kulkea does not get as hot as the old Hot Gear Bag, so I don't think you have to worry about getting too hot.
You could put the whole thing inside an old cooler?

Sponsor

Staff online