• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
User reviews say Db has minimal padding on three sides (and one end?), but not the top side, that worries me. I like the Idea of ABS panels on the three padded (long) sides only I have to wonder how tough and puncture/tear resistant the connecting areas between ABS panels will be. Also no padded lengthwise divider to go between two pairs of skis and no hold down straps.

Funny thing, I have a cheap High Sierra double ski bag with no wheels. It's padding around the binding area doesn't cover the heel piece of the Look Pivots. I does have internal hold down straps and external cinch straps as well as a lengthwise padded divider to seperate pairs of skis. I have only used it to carry a single pair of skis which I wraped in compressible foam packing material, same as I did with the Dakine Padded Fall Line Roller bag, and the cheap High Sierra bag survived airline baggage handlers unscathed! I had purchased the bag for offseason ski storage, IIRC, it was $25 or $30 at Marshalls.

The Dakine fully padded bag was also packed with duffel bags of clothing and stratigicly placed gloves with the single pair of skis strapped together and oriented with bindings facing the back side panel and the front side panel, edges together facing the top and bottom lengthwise panels. The many pairs of internal divots along with those which punctured the bag, all of which lined up with the Pivot binding heel piece, were located on the top lengthwise panel closer to the zippered side across from the back non-zippered side where I had placed the skis when packing the bag! First airline trip for the bag, needless to say I returned the Dakine to REI. Would've rather had returned it to Dakine since it failed on several levels only I don't want a replacement or any of their other bags. I also returned the unused Dakine Padded Single Ski bag as it also lacks ski hold down straps.

I really don't want to go the SportTube route but will if I can't find a decent bag that checks most of the boxes.

I can't speak for Dooshbags(cringe), but our single ski Kantaja and our double roller both are heavily padded with tie downs for skis and poles(times two for the double) and both are made from extremely durable 1680D fabric. We went for durable, as opposed to lightweight.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I have 189 skis, so ca 200cm length is about right. You can fit short skis in a longer ski bag but not vise versa... I think the trend is to use a ski bag like a suitcase, with clothing and shoes stuffed with the skis to provide padding and cut down on the number of luggage pieces. So the game is about two things: protection and weight. Kulkea seems decently protected, didn't see enough details to evaluate that however. The weight is a total unknown. My current favorite travel bag is the Thule double roller. I also have a DaKine double roller bad that has been truly bomber for many years, but it is heavy. Thule seems a bit less bomber but it is quite a bit lighter. They are also pushing the idea of another bag that you can clip onto the wheel end of the bag, but I don't know how practical that it.

If you have shorter skis and are conc3rned about sagging, buy a snowboard roller bag, same design, but shorter, which would be just about perfect for a 170 ski.,

So, again, the idea is to put all your stuff in a ski bag that you check, and then you carry on just your backpack and boots. Then you carry the pack on your shoulders, boots over the shoulders, drag the roller pack with one hand and have the other hand free to open doors (and write PugSki posts while you walk).

Sagging is not an issue for us. There's plenty of interior side storage. I usually stuff it with mid-layers, socks, etc. I have my other soft goods, tools, boots, etc in my Boot Trekker. Another small bag for cool tee shirts and my array of sweet hats is all I need(slight embellishment for comedic purposes). Thats how we roll.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I understand that a lot of people do this. I get the concept. I have a couple problems with it, though:

1) I generally like to bring two pairs of skis. Once I add in poles, some tuning gear, and a few other awkward-to-pack items such as a pair of hiking boots or a small backpack, I'm already getting pretty close to the weight limit.

2) The strategy depends on the airline turning a blind eye to its own rules. Most of them, to my knowlege, have a clause about not putting anything in a ski bag except hardware. I'm aware that the clause is often or usually ignored, but my history of interactions with Powers That Be tells me that I would DEFINITELY be the one they'd pull aside and put on a bus or whatever.

Have you personally experienced your second point? Our Kantaja and double roller have large storage pockets specifically for softgoods, which we use regularly. TSA has made it clear that they have gone through it, as well. This is the first we've heard of this; it has not been an issue for us.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Old Thule 2X roller or newish because the line is very different then when I last looked at it ~8 years ago.
I pack my ski boots in a carry-on along with shell jacket and pants, goggles, gloves, a pair of base layers and socks. the essentials if checked baggage is a no show.
I've been mulling the Thule RoundTrip Snowsport 90L Duffel Boot Bag - wondering if it'll pass as a boot bag? Sure would fit alot of extras if I have to use the Ski/Boot bags as luggage. Problem is my ski boots are still going in the carry-on so I'm not so sure a ski helmet will be enough to convince baggage check it's a ski boot bag!

Exactally! I couldn't agree more and primarily want a 2X bag for the option of taking two pairs of skis.
I try to fly Southwest when possible, their bagage policy is great as is the cancelation credit deal. I knew the Dakine 2X roller was crappy when it arrived at my house and I saw it lacked internal straps and a padded ski divider. Hung onto it because it was on sale for ~$100 and I knew I may need to do the dreaded ski bag luggage trick on a trip to WY. United Air customer service assured me it would be perefectly fine to do so as long as the combined weight of the ski and boot bag are ≤ 50lbs. They even suggested I put clothing in duffel bags to protect them from the skis. On the other hand American Air specifically said under no uncertain terms nothing more then skis, poles, gloves/boots, googles and helmet in a ski/boot bag - and as I wrote in other posts, guy on my connector flight from DEN to JAC got hit with a $200 oversize baggage fee because in packing his SportTube as a ski-suitcase he extended it too far exceeding UA's LxWxH measurement for a ski bag!
You never know when an airline will throw the book at you!

I pretty much did all of that with the Dakine 2X Roller and you already read how that worked out. Luck of the draw is a given, I'd like to find the most bomber available without getting too ridiculous - suffice to say I won't be packing my skis in thread together modified sections of PVC plumbing pipe any time soon!

You make a very important point, every airline is different. Not only that, but different model planes within the same airline can/do have different loading capacities. It is unfortunate that there are no "standards", in this regard.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My understanding on the "nothing else in the ski bag" rule applied to using the ski-bag-plus-boot-bag-equals-one-bag rule. So I figured if I was carrying my boots it didn't apply. On the other hand, there is also a sporting-goods exemption from the oversize (not overweight) luggage limits. So maybe that could be an issue. Never had it be, though.

In the old days I carefully wrapped clothing around my skis. Now I go for easy to inspect and easy to re-close. I put small stuff like socks, gloves, base layers that TSA can poke around without removing.

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry Im late to the party, perhaps I can offer some enlightenment. We carefully decided the size to best cover the widest range of potential skis. The bag is outfitted with two PE boards in order to hold its structural integrity, so it will not sag. It didn't sag when we were rolling bodies(live bodies!) around the Denver ski show.

PS. I think some slalom racers would take umbrage with the "longer skis" implication. :roflmao:
Ski Gear TV's words, not mine.
FWIW,
I'd like 170 expands to 180cm, if for no other reason then it will fit in cars eaiser then 195 expands to 205cm.
I've had several occasions when driven to the airport by non skiing neighbors with cars where we've had to have the ski bag go from the rear seat deck (or hatch in a Mazda 3 HB), between the driver and passenger seat with a end resting on top of the dashboard, a 195cm bag wouldn't have fit.

I can't speak for Dooshbags(cringe), but our single ski Kantaja and our double roller both are heavily padded with tie downs for skis and poles(times two for the double) and both are made from extremely durable 1680D fabric. We went for durable, as opposed to lightweight.
Did you change the fabric to 1680D for 2019? Your current website page on the Kataja under Key Features says - "Materials – Durable, water-resistant polyurethane coated 420D mini ripstop nylon. Tarpaulin."
Also, I looked at the Kataja single ski bag this past fall and the full length padding felt rather thin in comparsion to the Dakine single ski bag - not to say thickness of padding alone is eveything, i.e., IDK if the padding material is the same apples to apples comparison.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
My understanding on the "nothing else in the ski bag" rule applied to using the ski-bag-plus-boot-bag-equals-one-bag rule. So I figured if I was carrying my boots it didn't apply. On the other hand, there is also a sporting-goods exemption from the oversize (not overweight) luggage limits. So maybe that could be an issue. Never had it be, though.

In the old days I carefully wrapped clothing around my skis. Now I go for easy to inspect and easy to re-close. I put small stuff like socks, gloves, base layers that TSA can poke around without removing.

Yeah, can't be 100% without standards, and airlines won't be establishing those anytime soon. If anyone does have issues traveling with our gear, we certainly want to hear about it. If there are improvement that can be made, we want to make them.

I like to tape and wrap a bit of cardboard around the tips and tails of my skis if I'm flying with them. The interior pockets are great for storage, but they also keep binding grease, wax, etc from getting on the socks and mid layers in the pockets. Cheers!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 2.34.32 PM.png

Here is modern air travel with skis, Thule style, as modeled by Cody Townsend in his latest promotional flick. Skis and other stuff in the bag, another duffel bag attached to a ski bag (I am assuming both are checked in) and carry-on stuff in an airbag backpack. This setup leaves one hand free to open doors, handle tickets, and post Instagram selfies:). I used to pack my ski boots in a backpack that I used as a carry-on, now since I own a small airbag pack, things got complicated.

@KULKEA BootTrekker is an awesome bag (this is what transports my stuff from the car to the lodge), but it is useless for air travel as it does not fit into any decent overhead bin due to its almost-cube-like shape (at least mine does not). And given the point about an airbag backpacks, which get more popular, I think there should be another solution for bringing boots on-board, unless you want to be like Cody and just sling them over your shoulder. I would prefer something that I can attach to the ski bag for when I am traveling through airports, train stations, etc., but also be able to detach it quickly and take with me on-board.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My biggest complaint about it is that the roll up closure is too complicated for TSA. I know someday it's just going to be missing altogether at baggage claim.

Upon arrival my first trip with the Db, the front handle/tightening dohicky was hanging by one of the hooks, perilously close to being lost forever. TSA had indeed found the bag too complicated. I thought about attaching the dohicky with cable ties, but decided on closing the openings to the hooks with duct tape. All has been well since.

BTW, I pack my two pairs of skis like in the Db online videos: the fatter pair flat on the bottom, brakes retracted with rubber bands or fiber ties, and the narrower pair on the sides, bases out, also with the brakes retracted. Essentially making an open box out of the skis. The side pair are optimistically held in place by paraphernalia discussed above as well as a foam roller. That has worked pretty well for me. Oh, the edges, since the bases are not facing each other, are covered by gaffer tape.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
View attachment 44804
Here is modern air travel with skis, Thule style, as modeled by Cody Townsend in his latest promotional flick. Skis and other stuff in the bag, another duffel bag attached to a ski bag (I am assuming both are checked in) and carry-on stuff in an airbag backpack. This setup leaves one hand free to open doors, handle tickets, and post Instagram selfies:). I used to pack my ski boots in a backpack that I used as a carry-on, now since I own a small airbag pack, things got complicated.

@KULKEA BootTrekker is an awesome bag (this is what transports my stuff from the car to the lodge), but it is useless for air travel as it does not fit into any decent overhead bin due to its almost-cube-like shape (at least mine does not). And given the point about an airbag backpacks, which get more popular, I think there should be another solution for bringing boots on-board, unless you want to be like Cody and just sling them over your shoulder. I would prefer something that I can attach to the ski bag for when I am traveling through airports, train stations, etc., but also be able to detach it quickly and take with me on-board.

We appreciate the feedback! Well, we just flew Delta to Reno(enroute to Squaw) a little over a week ago and it wasn't a problem until we flew on a smaller airplane which had smaller overheads. The shape of the Boot Trekker Conforms not only to the shape of the boots, but also the shape of the majority of overhead storage areas. This was part of the design since day one. Like I mentioned in previous posts, every airline is different and many have different planes with different stow compartments. I certainly can't speak to your personal experiences flying with the Boot Trekker, but ours has been largely successful. Calling it "useless for air travel" is inaccurate, to say the least. We've personally taken them to Austria and Chamonix(amongst many other places) and had no issues on those adventures.

Also, the Double Roller is designed so a Boot Trekker can clip in and ride along, similar to Cody in that pic. Don't doubt the deer.

Also, Squaw was magical.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
We appreciate the feedback! Well, we just flew Delta to Reno(enroute to Squaw) a little over a week ago and it wasn't a problem until we flew on a smaller airplane which had smaller overheads. The shape of the Boot Trekker Conforms not only to the shape of the boots, but also the shape of the majority of overhead storage areas. This was part of the design since day one. Like I mentioned in previous posts, every airline is different and many have different planes with different stow compartments. I certainly can't speak to your personal experiences flying with the Boot Trekker, but ours has been largely successful. Calling it "useless for air travel" is inaccurate, to say the least. We've personally taken them to Austria and Chamonix(amongst many other places) and had no issues on those adventures.

Also, the Double Roller is designed so a Boot Trekker can clip in and ride along, similar to Cody in that pic. Don't doubt the deer.

Also, Squaw was magical.

Interesting about the overhead, that's clever. I can see it with the smaller Trekker, but not with the large one I have. But it is a moot point because increasingly the backpack you carry is the avalanche airbag pack, so boots either need to fit into that airbag pack or be carried in some other way. Once you fit your laptop, NC headphones and camera in the avalanche airbag, there is no room for boots there.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Interesting about the overhead, that's clever. I can see it with the smaller Trekker, but not with the large one I have. But it is a moot point because increasingly the backpack you carry is the avalanche airbag pack, so boots either need to fit into that airbag pack or be carried in some other way. Once you fit your laptop, NC headphones and camera in the avalanche airbag, there is no room for boots there.

Here's some visual references with the Boot Trekker. Perhaps these can be helpful.

Yeah, I hear you about the airbag. They don't really play well with others, for good reason. They obviously need to be bulletproof. I personally haven't ridden with one, but I recently tried on a buddy's BCA pack and I can see how it would be difficult to travel with. I try to limit my exposure and gnar these days haha. Cheers

IMG_3033a.jpg
Overhead_bins_(6389156645)a.jpg

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Ski Gear TV's words, not mine.
FWIW,
I'd like 170 expands to 180cm, if for no other reason then it will fit in cars eaiser then 195 expands to 205cm.
I've had several occasions when driven to the airport by non skiing neighbors with cars where we've had to have the ski bag go from the rear seat deck (or hatch in a Mazda 3 HB), between the driver and passenger seat with a end resting on top of the dashboard, a 195cm bag wouldn't have fit.

Did you change the fabric to 1680D for 2019? Your current website page on the Kataja under Key Features says - "Materials – Durable, water-resistant polyurethane coated 420D mini ripstop nylon. Tarpaulin."
Also, I looked at the Kataja single ski bag this past fall and the full length padding felt rather thin in comparsion to the Dakine single ski bag - not to say thickness of padding alone is eveything, i.e., IDK if the padding material is the same apples to apples comparison.

Completely understand about the hatchback situation. This is our first double being brought to market, we simply have to appeal to the widest audience as possible.

We've updated the Kantaja from 420D mini ripstop to 600D polyester, which will be updated ASAP. I can't speak to the padding of competitors, but my Black Crows(which Im obsessed with) have been well protected on multiple trips. The tie-downs(skis and poles) and internal stash pockets help greatly to keep things controlled.

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's some visual references with the Boot Trekker. Perhaps these can be helpful.

Yeah, I hear you about the airbag. They don't really play well with others, for good reason. They obviously need to be bulletproof. I personally haven't ridden with one, but I recently tried on a buddy's BCA pack and I can see how it would be difficult to travel with. I try to limit my exposure and gnar these days haha. Cheers

View attachment 44812 View attachment 44811
I'm allways surprised when I see what other people manage to get away with bringing as overhead carry on baggage. Come to think of it, a woman in the row in front of me on my last return flight from DEN had the Boot Treaker stashed in the overhead carry on compartment. I was admiring it when waiting to exit the plane and again at the baggage carousel, was a little dissapointed to see that she had a old volkl single ski bag and not a Kantaja.
I suppose I'm lucky that my 295BSL boots fit nicely in the small UA and AA specified 22" x 14" x 9" including wheels and handles carry on bag. I'd hate to have to convince them at the gate that the Boot Treaker is a perfect fit when it doesn't come close to fitting in the sizing box they sometimes subject us to. Actually saw a carry on sizing box at JAC when checking my ski bag, they didn't make me put my carry on in it, nor did I see them make anyone use it but you never know.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Thanks for the visuals, it is a rather clever feature which I never saw mentioned in your marketing (maybe a good thing to mention:). Airlines typically are pretty lenient about backpack-ish looking carry-ons, so I see how this solution works. Still, I would be totally game for a carry-on boot bag that is not a backpack and can dock onto the Kantaja or a comparable roller bag. My last trip with the BCA airbag pack I used a simple Rossi boot bag with a shoulder strap (sans docking of course) to carry boots on-board, and longed for a slicker solution. Maybe what Cody does (boots over shoulder/neck) is the most practical solution, especially if you can put them in the ski bag for the overland portion of the trip...

For some reason BCA Float airbags are a really good carry, just about the only pack I skied with that disappears when I put it on.

By the way, @KULKEA - we own two Kulkea backpacks, both bought retail. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand that a lot of people do this. I get the concept. I have a couple problems with it, though:

1) I generally like to bring two pairs of skis. Once I add in poles, some tuning gear, and a few other awkward-to-pack items such as a pair of hiking boots or a small backpack, I'm already getting pretty close to the weight limit.

2) The strategy depends on the airline turning a blind eye to its own rules. Most of them, to my knowlege, have a clause about not putting anything in a ski bag except hardware. I'm aware that the clause is often or usually ignored, but my history of interactions with Powers That Be tells me that I would DEFINITELY be the one they'd pull aside and put on a bus or whatever.

Have you personally experienced your second point? Our Kantaja and double roller have large storage pockets specifically for softgoods, which we use regularly. TSA has made it clear that they have gone through it, as well. This is the first we've heard of this; it has not been an issue for us.

So I definitely remember reading on airline sites AND being told by baggage check staff that anything but skis and poles found in ski bags would be cause for an upcharge. However, with your question in mind I just spent 10 minutes Googling on this and I did not find anything that draconian. Some airlines only talk about weight limits. Others talk about "ski-related items." Either way it appears to me that that must have decided this fight was futile. So I guess your point is valid. Good news. :)

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got a double roller bag not too long ago, only to find, contrarty to expectations, that it didn't have straps inside or a padded dividing panel. Tighten the external straps, and the two skis just get bunched together. Supposed to be a racing product, and all the major race brands seem to offer pretty much the same thing, so someone must be doing just fine with them if they're not using burritos. I went for masses of bubblewrap, but it's a pain to unravel every time if you're back and forth, and didn't prevent dings on the edges of the topsheets, though the edges got away with it. How are people transporting skis without them smashing together with that sort of set-up?

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
How much does the Kantaja weigh?
The Kantaja Double Roller weighs between 10-10.5lbs depending upon the model. We opted for a slightly heavier build for protective quality manufacture. Shaving a few pounds by less protective or inferior materials was a direction we intentionally opted not to pursue during design. We understand travelers are concerned about reaching 50lbs, but customer feedback has confirmed that the quality has delivered a product that well protects both the contents and the bag itself, and the few extra pounds has not been a significant issue.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Got a double roller bag not too long ago, only to find, contrarty to expectations, that it didn't have straps inside or a padded dividing panel. Tighten the external straps, and the two skis just get bunched together. Supposed to be a racing product, and all the major race brands seem to offer pretty much the same thing, so someone must be doing just fine with them if they're not using burritos. I went for masses of bubblewrap, but it's a pain to unravel every time if you're back and forth, and didn't prevent dings on the edges of the topsheets, though the edges got away with it. How are people transporting skis without them smashing together with that sort of set-up?
This is just one example where the details we include make a difference. The Kantaja Double Roller ski bag has internal reinforced straps, plus a divider between the pairs of skis.

Sponsor