• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Looks promising but 195cm expandable to 205cm ... are they outfitting an NBA team or is their target market the Netherlands? I don't need a bag that long, not to mention it'll sag like crazy with the main bulk of it practicaly laying flat dragging along the ground when toting my 170 - 177cm skis!

Anyone know if they are going to do a ~170cm expands to 180cm version for us shorter people who aren't "racers with longer skis":\ ???

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Db

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never seen one in the wild but from what I can see of the various videos it lacks internal ski hold down straps plus I question the overall full-length padding. The available web-based info is too vague for me. I'm more interested in the Transpack Ski Vault double pro ski bag.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Never seen one in the wild but from what I can see of the various videos it lacks internal ski hold down straps plus I question the overall full-length padding. The available web-based info is too vague for me. I'm more interested in the Transpack Ski Vault double pro ski bag.

I got a Db bag last summer on sale and have used it this year on three trips and it's packed for a return to Snowbird tomorrow. . Best bag I've ever had.

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just checked out the Thule RoundTrip Single Ski Bag at EMS and have been thinking Thule RoundTrip Ski Roller 175cm could be a good option - only it is 600 denier and it;s outer fabric as well as the lining material appear identical to the Dakine Padded Fall Line Ski Roller 2x bag which my ski bindings punctured on the first airline trip!
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/lugg...ags/thule-roundtrip-ski-roller-175cm-_-225123

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just checked out the Thule RoundTrip Single Ski Bag at EMS and have been thinking Thule RoundTrip Ski Roller 175cm could be a good option - only it is 600 denier and it;s outer fabric as well as the lining material appear identical to the Dakine Padded Fall Line Ski Roller 2x bag which my ski bindings punctured on the first airline trip!
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/lugg...ags/thule-roundtrip-ski-roller-175cm-_-225123

Far as I can tell, ANY fabric bag eventually develops holes. How big, how many, and how fast is the question. Anal packing - e.g., towels around binders - can help, but is no guarantee. Especially after TSA ransacks the thing and doesn't put it back together properly.

My Db works better than it looks like it should. (Delayed commentary on earlier posts.)

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Far as I can tell, ANY fabric bag eventually develops holes. How big, how many, and how fast is the question. Anal packing - e.g., towels around binders - can help, but is no guarantee. Especially after TSA ransacks the thing and doesn't put it back together properly.

My Db works better than it looks like it should. (Delayed commentary on earlier posts.)
User reviews say Db has minimal padding on three sides (and one end?), but not the top side, that worries me. I like the Idea of ABS panels on the three padded (long) sides only I have to wonder how tough and puncture/tear resistant the connecting areas between ABS panels will be. Also no padded lengthwise divider to go between two pairs of skis and no hold down straps.

Funny thing, I have a cheap High Sierra double ski bag with no wheels. It's padding around the binding area doesn't cover the heel piece of the Look Pivots. I does have internal hold down straps and external cinch straps as well as a lengthwise padded divider to seperate pairs of skis. I have only used it to carry a single pair of skis which I wraped in compressible foam packing material, same as I did with the Dakine Padded Fall Line Roller bag, and the cheap High Sierra bag survived airline baggage handlers unscathed! I had purchased the bag for offseason ski storage, IIRC, it was $25 or $30 at Marshalls.

The Dakine fully padded bag was also packed with duffel bags of clothing and stratigicly placed gloves with the single pair of skis strapped together and oriented with bindings facing the back side panel and the front side panel, edges together facing the top and bottom lengthwise panels. The many pairs of internal divots along with those which punctured the bag, all of which lined up with the Pivot binding heel piece, were located on the top lengthwise panel closer to the zippered side across from the back non-zippered side where I had placed the skis when packing the bag! First airline trip for the bag, needless to say I returned the Dakine to REI. Would've rather had returned it to Dakine since it failed on several levels only I don't want a replacement or any of their other bags. I also returned the unused Dakine Padded Single Ski bag as it also lacks ski hold down straps.

I really don't want to go the SportTube route but will if I can't find a decent bag that checks most of the boxes.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the problems is that the sample size is so small, talking about one person's airline trips with skis. I suspect there's a huge amout of chance involved. E.g., does your bag end up on the top or bottom of the pile? My High Sierra bag acquired new holes every single time I used it. Db has yet to acquire one, after three or four trips. My biggest complaint about it is that the roll up closure is too complicated for TSA. I know someday it's just going to be missing altogether at baggage claim.

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tony S, do you have the single ski "Slim" Db or double ski bag?

Btw, I also thought about TSA figuring out the rooled up end in the event they open the bag. :\

Wondering how much more puncture/tear resistant of 1000+ denier bags (Swix Team Norway multi ski bag 1,680 denier), than the standard 600 denier bags?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I had to buy a bag to fit my 192cm Stormriders in . Needed it for the next day, and it was May! I needed a new one after the ground crew at Laguardia dragged my soft bag with 2 pair,(guessing), at speed on the tarmac. Melted through the bag, melted a favorite vest, and ground down the heel piece of a griffon binding,(good riddance).
Anyway, got a Sync double wheeled bag. I think I nearly maxed out the weight allowance. It was over 31 kg. I'll tell you even with wheels those things are heavy because you're lifting the whole lever as the wheels are at the end.
Then dragging it on trains... I almost wished for my old soft bag that I crammed 2 pair in and had a shoulder strap. But 180 was it's limit anyway.

The Sync is very similar to the Kulkea pictured, but the K has extra features as far as I can tell. Like the pockets to stuff clothes in and the expanding end. Likely the thing sort of rolls up for storage.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my dB I put tape around the clips at the top where in folds up. I put a big taped on label at the bottom that says “OPEN HERE”

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I have 189 skis, so ca 200cm length is about right. You can fit short skis in a longer ski bag but not vise versa... I think the trend is to use a ski bag like a suitcase, with clothing and shoes stuffed with the skis to provide padding and cut down on the number of luggage pieces. So the game is about two things: protection and weight. Kulkea seems decently protected, didn't see enough details to evaluate that however. The weight is a total unknown. My current favorite travel bag is the Thule double roller. I also have a DaKine double roller bad that has been truly bomber for many years, but it is heavy. Thule seems a bit less bomber but it is quite a bit lighter. They are also pushing the idea of another bag that you can clip onto the wheel end of the bag, but I don't know how practical that it.

If you have shorter skis and are conc3rned about sagging, buy a snowboard roller bag, same design, but shorter, which would be just about perfect for a 170 ski.,

So, again, the idea is to put all your stuff in a ski bag that you check, and then you carry on just your backpack and boots. Then you carry the pack on your shoulders, boots over the shoulders, drag the roller pack with one hand and have the other hand free to open doors (and write PugSki posts while you walk).

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, again, the idea is to put all your stuff in a ski bag that you check, and then you carry on just your backpack and boots. Then you carry the pack on your shoulders, boots over the shoulders, drag the roller pack with one hand and have the other hand free to open doors (and write PugSki posts while you walk).

I understand that a lot of people do this. I get the concept. I have a couple problems with it, though:

1) I generally like to bring two pairs of skis. Once I add in poles, some tuning gear, and a few other awkward-to-pack items such as a pair of hiking boots or a small backpack, I'm already getting pretty close to the weight limit.

2) The strategy depends on the airline turning a blind eye to its own rules. Most of them, to my knowlege, have a clause about not putting anything in a ski bag except hardware. I'm aware that the clause is often or usually ignored, but my history of interactions with Powers That Be tells me that I would DEFINITELY be the one they'd pull aside and put on a bus or whatever.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S, do you have the single ski "Slim" Db or double ski bag?

I have the double bag. The Db works best when your pairs of skis are equal length. (Otherwise the whole thing tends to skew sideways when you grab the pull handle on the end.) Of course typically I'll have a pair of fat skis and a pair of non-fat skis, and the non-fats are significantly shorter. I deal with this by rubber-banding the brakes, then pairing up one ski of each pair with one of the other pair. I use three sturdy elastic ski straps ("Fast-Straps") on each "pair" thusly formed. This way I end up with two equal length "pairs" of skis in the bag. I lay them in with edge-sides facing top/bottom and binding sides facing left/right, where there is more padding. I can't remember about the hold-down straps (are there any?), but I do know that I tend to put the odds and ends beween the two pairs of skis, which keeps them from banging into each other.

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
- I think the trend is to use a ski bag like a suitcase, with clothing and shoes stuffed with the skis to provide padding and cut down on the number of luggage pieces. So the game is about two things: protection and weight. Kulkea seems decently protected, didn't see enough details to evaluate that however. The weight is a total unknown. My current favorite travel bag is the Thule double roller. I also have a DaKine double roller bad that has been truly bomber for many years, but it is heavy. Thule seems a bit less bomber but it is quite a bit lighter. They are also pushing the idea of another bag that you can clip onto the wheel end of the bag, but I don't know how practical that it.
-
Old Thule 2X roller or newish because the line is very different then when I last looked at it ~8 years ago.
I pack my ski boots in a carry-on along with shell jacket and pants, goggles, gloves, a pair of base layers and socks. the essentials if checked baggage is a no show.
I've been mulling the Thule RoundTrip Snowsport 90L Duffel Boot Bag - wondering if it'll pass as a boot bag? Sure would fit alot of extras if I have to use the Ski/Boot bags as luggage. Problem is my ski boots are still going in the carry-on so I'm not so sure a ski helmet will be enough to convince baggage check it's a ski boot bag!

I understand that a lot of people do this. I get the concept. I have a couple problems with it, though:

1) I generally like to bring two pairs of skis. Once I add in poles, some tuning gear, and a few other awkward-to-pack items such as a pair of hiking boots or a small backpack, I'm already getting pretty close to the weight limit.

2) The strategy depends on the airline turning a blind eye to its own rules. Most of them, to my knowlege, have a clause about not putting anything in a ski bag except hardware. I'm aware that the clause is often or usually ignored, but my history of interactions with Powers That Be tells me that I would DEFINITELY be the one they'd pull aside and put on a bus or whatever.
Exactally! I couldn't agree more and primarily want a 2X bag for the option of taking two pairs of skis.
I try to fly Southwest when possible, their bagage policy is great as is the cancelation credit deal. I knew the Dakine 2X roller was crappy when it arrived at my house and I saw it lacked internal straps and a padded ski divider. Hung onto it because it was on sale for ~$100 and I knew I may need to do the dreaded ski bag luggage trick on a trip to WY. United Air customer service assured me it would be perefectly fine to do so as long as the combined weight of the ski and boot bag are ≤ 50lbs. They even suggested I put clothing in duffel bags to protect them from the skis. On the other hand American Air specifically said under no uncertain terms nothing more then skis, poles, gloves/boots, googles and helmet in a ski/boot bag - and as I wrote in other posts, guy on my connector flight from DEN to JAC got hit with a $200 oversize baggage fee because in packing his SportTube as a ski-suitcase he extended it too far exceeding UA's LxWxH measurement for a ski bag!
You never know when an airline will throw the book at you!

I have the double bag. The Db works best when your pairs of skis are equal length. (Otherwise the whole thing tends to skew sideways when you grab the pull handle on the end.) Of course typically I'll have a pair of fat skis and a pair of non-fat skis, and the non-fats are significantly shorter. I deal with this by rubber-banding the brakes, then pairing up one ski of each pair with one of the other pair. I use three sturdy elastic ski straps ("Fast-Straps") on each "pair" thusly formed. This way I end up with two equal length "pairs" of skis in the bag. I lay them in with edge-sides facing top/bottom and binding sides facing left/right, where there is more padding. I can't remember about the hold-down straps (are there any?), but I do know that I tend to put the odds and ends beween the two pairs of skis, which keeps them from banging into each other.
I pretty much did all of that with the Dakine 2X Roller and you already read how that worked out. Luck of the draw is a given, I'd like to find the most bomber available without getting too ridiculous - suffice to say I won't be packing my skis in thread together modified sections of PVC plumbing pipe any time soon!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I had to buy a bag to fit my 192cm Stormriders in . Needed it for the next day, and it was May! I needed a new one after the ground crew at Laguardia dragged my soft bag with 2 pair,(guessing), at speed on the tarmac. Melted through the bag, melted a favorite vest, and ground down the heel piece of a griffon binding,(good riddance).
Anyway, got a Sync double wheeled bag. I think I nearly maxed out the weight allowance. It was over 31 kg. I'll tell you even with wheels those things are heavy because you're lifting the whole lever as the wheels are at the end.
Then dragging it on trains... I almost wished for my old soft bag that I crammed 2 pair in and had a shoulder strap. But 180 was it's limit anyway.

The Sync is very similar to the Kulkea pictured, but the K has extra features as far as I can tell. Like the pockets to stuff clothes in and the expanding end. Likely the thing sort of rolls up for storage.
The Synch looks identical to the Swix Norwegian ski team bag. Anyone know if they are the same bag?

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor

Looks promising but 195cm expandable to 205cm ... are they outfitting an NBA team or is their target market the Netherlands? I don't need a bag that long, not to mention it'll sag like crazy with the main bulk of it practicaly laying flat dragging along the ground when toting my 170 - 177cm skis!

Anyone know if they are going to do a ~170cm expands to 180cm version for us shorter people who aren't "racers with longer skis":\ ???

Sorry Im late to the party, perhaps I can offer some enlightenment. We carefully decided the size to best cover the widest range of potential skis. The bag is outfitted with two PE boards in order to hold its structural integrity, so it will not sag. It didn't sag when we were rolling bodies(live bodies!) around the Denver ski show.

PS. I think some slalom racers would take umbrage with the "longer skis" implication. :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid