• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Today, President's Day, at 49° North on an otherwise empty slope I came upon a woman sitting in the middle of a bluish section of a green run with her skis off. When I stopped to see if she was okay, she said she was too scared to continue and was going to slide down on her bottom. A bad fall at Schweitzer her last time out skiing, had shattered her confidence.

I told her I would talk her down and convinced her to put her skis back on. I helped her some with edging and balancing. As we slowly made our way down, we conversed. She didn't have the opportunity to go to college when she was young and so now that her children are grown, she is going back to school. She said that she wasn't just scared of skiing, but also scared of school.

So I told her about Kristen Ulmer's Art of Fear camp and her book. She was interested and said she would get the book. I believe that fear is our friend. So at no time did I try to talk her out of her fear. At one point she looked at me and exclaimed, "I like the way you put things!"

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Over the years of doing things, some crazy (thought and doable) to stupid (not thought out and mist likely not doable and paying for it physically (luckily without major consequence), I have come to one several simple conclusions.

Fear is your bodies way of reminding you to review your present action as crazy (doable) or stupid (not doable).

Uncontrollable fear is you not wanting to deal with it.

Which leads to one simple concept: If in doubt attack, if it kills you it was the wrong decision. Stupid ideas (for the sane) generally have no doubt and have no uncontrollable fear.

55 years later I’m still here.

Important thing to remember this is individual specific as to crazy or stupid, based on experience.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January