• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Klaus Obermeyer

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Klaus Obermeyer was, as he always is, sitting at the front desk of the Obermeyer boot at Outdoor Retailer.
At age 99, he still skis and he is still the face of Obermeyer.

This article celebrates Klaus and his young heart

IMG_8432.jpg

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
My first 2 ski jackets were an Obermeyer for cold days and a Mother Karen for warmer days. Back in 1980.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Awesome story about Klaus.

Great company! Fair prices and great quality.

Wife damaged her Obermeyer pants a few weeks ago, she sent them back for repair, all free & under warranty. Total turnaround time was less than 2.5 weeks including shipping!

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have great customer service. Every time I call the girls that work the phones in Aspen, they are always super helpful and knowledgeable. Also, really accommodating about handling returns. All of those reasons are why I buy their gear for my family. And reasonable prices, too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Klaus Obermeyer was, as he always is, sitting at the front desk of the Obermeyer boot at Outdoor Retailer.
At age 99, he still skis and he is still the face of Obermeyer.

This article celebrates Klaus and his young heart

View attachment 65537

If I can go to a party, and raise a glass, with a big ass grin on my face when I'm 99.......................:crossfingers:
Interesting story about that photo in the OP.
Phil took that when we were at the Hall of Fame ceremonies in 2016. (Klaus would have been 96 then)
@Weems nudged me to get Phil to come take a picture because there were 5 men standing together, chatting.
Klaus Obermeyer
Andrel Molterer(Pictured with Klaus above)
Sven Coomber (famed for Zip Fit)
Chuck Ferries (Pre Skis)
and Hermann Gollner.
In Weems' words, "You don't get many opportunities to get a picture of 5 "greats" together"
By the time I snagged Phil, they were starting to mingle.
Here is the shot of Sven, Chuck and Hermann
IMG_8434.jpg

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Best jacket I ever got my daughter. They didn’t skimp on junior clothing, at least not that one

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many years ago there were Western Winter Sports Representatives Association (I think I have that name right) shows in Denver in the spring. Similar to the current trade shows the reps and/or the manufacturers, the retailers, and ski sports athletes were all in the old Albany Hotel showing and ordering next seasons goods. When Klaus was in the building the energy level stepped up considerably, even considering the other sport and industry stars that were in attendance. That could have been 60 years ago and Klaus is still bringing the energy and joy into the building.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Klaus is the man! I would absolutely wear his stuff if it fit...

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Back in the early 80's I lived in Aspen for 3 years and played at being a ski bum. I worked restaurants at night and got my racoon eyes during the day. I had the great pleasure of meeting him and actually skiing with him a couple times. He was a lot better than I was and he was in his 60's (?) then.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I always liked the Obermeyer product line it was easy to sell because of the good quality and design at fair price. Both my wife and I had Obermeyer jackets that lasted well beyond their competitors product. From what I know about the man, he had a hands on style of running the business, he just didn't put his name on the product. He was involved in all phases of the business. At 99 it would not surprise me if he was the same hard worker.

Sponsor

Staff online