• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kjus or Descente?

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I have a lot of Arcteryx, and while I love the bomb proof build, I hate the hardshell kindle AMD they're just not breathable enough. So, I'm looking for a lightly insulated stretch fabric and have settled on Kjus Ligety and Decente Swiss Team. Both are insulated, although the Descente might be a bit more insulated, which is an automatic DQ for me. Are their products highly breathable AND durable? If not, any brands that fit the soft, stretchy fabric build that's also waterproof and highly breathable? Thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both use Dermizax for waterproofing which works well and is 6 way stretch.
I have never owned Kjus but I have owned a lot of Descente over the years and loved how it moves with me.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks Tricia. I don't have any stores near me that sell high end beyond Arcteryx, so I have to buy online and keep my fingers crossed

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kjus makes decent stuff.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
It's super expensive, so I don't want to buy something that looks nice but doesn't perform well. Decent won't cut it at the price. Is their price reflective of quality?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kjus pants are my go to.
A pair will do 300 days and still looked pretty decent.
My Kjus jackets are all insulated. They do fine in the NE. A bit too warm for skiing out west. Great quality.

I dislike hard shell jackets unless there is heavy weather. I have many different brands. Arc, Mammut, Marmot, OR, Norrona, etc...
Norrona is my favorite when it comes to hard shell.
Been wearing lots of puffies as outer layer the past few years. The Arc Cerium is my favorite past few seasons. Windproof, breaths well, soft & warm.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Obermeyer is in the general zip code as what you're looking at, and I've had great luck with my Fusion Series. Warm and breathable for cold resort skiing days.

I think from Peter Glen, who is always super-cool about ordering two sizes and returning one -- my wife is World Cup Podium material in this regard.

Bonus, for me, is made in Vietnam. Not USA, but beats typical China clothing quality.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks for the responses everyone! This was super helpful! I just ordered Kjus and Descente in different sizes. I'll return what doesn't fit / feels TOO warm. I ski hard so I tend to.perspire a lot.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I think both are generally going to be more insulated than you're looking for (but of course completely depends on the model chosen). So what models did you order?

And you might consider, changing up how you think about your layering approach. I used to be a multiple layer guy and dealt with the hassle of dealing with getting the layers to sit right and not bunch up, etc. And then there was the compatibility issues with getting the right mix of materials in all the different layers. Then it finally dawned on me that the ski "parkas" are really designed with all the layers included. They've already figured everything out for you, so most days I just have a base layer and throw the jacket on over top and call it good. If it's particularly cold I might add a light mid-layer piece. It's just so much easier to handle on a ski day and I find it the better way for me to regulate my temp without needing to change layers and constantly second guess myself.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I ordered the Kjus Ligety and the Descente Swiss Insulated jacket. I'm going with whichever one fits better AND doesn't feel over insulated.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's super expensive, so I don't want to buy something that looks nice but doesn't perform well. Decent won't cut it at the price. Is their price reflective of quality?
I have never owned Kjust but I worked at a store that sold it and have tried many pieces on. One thing...Whenever someone bought a Kjus piece, they became hooked on the brand. Like all brands, though...they will have some mid tier stuff as well as the high end stuff.
Obviously, you get what you pay for. That being said, Kjus has a good reputation for a reason.

I have not had Descente in a few years because they stopped bringing it into North America for a few years and I found other stuff to wear. If they are still being made like they were, they're definitely worth looking at.

This is a Descente waterproof Down and matching ski pants from 2016. I loooooved that jacket.

Loveland Cornice.jpeg

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I think both brands are some of the best for classic insulated jackets. Also good in this category is the high-end Hely Hanson.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
About the only jacket I was able to find that matched all of the following criteria:

-Almost not insulated
-Stretchy
-Breatable
-Removble hood
-Red

was this beauty right here:

1701100227130.jpeg

I also like the subtlety of it. :roflmao:

Sponsor