• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Snowmaking is back on with good production last night on the North Ridge. They cycled the guns off as temps warmed this afternoon but they have resumed the white assault. Locals are queued up for a possible Sunday Opening just waiting on an official announcement.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Their normal M.O. is to announce opening for season pass and express card holders at the last possible second as not to be trumped by some other Eastern Resort. Key staff was put on notice last Tuesday to prep for a Wednesday opening but they lacked enough snow at the bottom of the North Ridge Triple to pull the trigger Wednesday morning. Again there is not anything official from the resort but folks are ready. The lift and trails report lists snowmaking on Upper and Lower Rime as well as Reason. You can see the guns going on the North Ridge cam.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy in Shorts 8 Nov Killington Report
Perfect sunshine rained down on the elated opening day crowd. Gondola corral was about half full when the ropes dropped to kick off the season. Reward of winter hats that were given out got quickly stashed. Carefully descended the stairs arriving to the welcome to winter white world of the North Ridge. Snapped in, tapped the poles then pushed off making the first turns in five months. Firm groomed surface felt good under the skis. Quickly turned our attention to the ungroomed snow on the side of the trail under the lift. Transforming the line into a decent bump line took most of the morning. Skipped the free lunch opting to hit the parking lot for a kickoff tailgate. Sweet start to the season.

Opening Day Grade B+

Quote of the Day - Day one where the skiing pains start.

IMG_0808.jpg Welcome to Winter Upper Rime.jpg Upper Rime Building the Line.jpg Line Building Ungroomed Fun.jpg Ungroomed Fun

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think I'll be able to get up there until early December. With the focus on getting Superstar and training trails available for the WC ladies, how much more will be opened to the public? 7 hr drive is a lot for a handful of runs, but I'll do it! Let's hope this weather holds.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 12 Nov Killington Report

Early day sun lit up the mountain highlighting the piles of newly made snow. Great Northern from the top provided easy access to North Ridge pod of trails. Easy laps switching between Rime and Reason filled the morning hours. Hiked up to the Peak for a break while waiting for the Ski Patrol to open top to bottom. Rope dropped just before 12:30 allowing for a short uphill push to Great Northern. Guns painted the enthusiastic crowd ripping down Mousetrap and Lower Bunny. Getting in the first few steep turns of the season followed by a return trip to the summit via the K1 Gondola recharged my stoke. Summit afternoon temperature was 26 degrees on the newly installed thermometer. Lower Bunny snow surface turned into a little icy luge run as skier traffic compressed the freshly blown snow.

Grade B

Quote of the Day – This cold weather really gives the feel that winter has returned.

Rime Morning.jpg Uphill Push.jpg Snow Check.jpg Mixing Bowl.jpg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 16Nov Killington Report

Heavy driving snow greeted the early morning faithful that found their way to the top of the mountain. Temperature hovered near 30 degree mark with snowmaking shut down for a short break. New wet snow added up to over an inch tended to slow down the skiing which was helpful as visibility was an issue. Stiff breeze that pelted the NRT early on became lighter every run. Downdraft headwall opened with little fanfare marking the first open double black terrain of the season. Heavy snow faded as the weather and visibility improved. Mandatory uphill push past the North Ridge Triple to get to the lower mountain should be history as the missing section of Great Northern has snow and should groomed.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - Tough to beat a snow blowing in your face start.

First Double Diamond.jpg First Double Diamond Downdraft Headwall.jpg Downdraft Headwall

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 20 Nov Killington Conditions

World Cup cold has arrived accompanied with some stiff wind. Buttery soft snow from yesterday is a faded memory. Snow guns are filling in Lower East Fall all the way down to the Canyon Quad. Snowdon mountain is ablaze creating a silky white surface over the hard base. Large crew gathered to braid the Snowdon Triple rope. First row of fencing going up on Superstar as World Cup preps are ramping up.

Grade B-

Quote of the Day - Has anyone found the Master Braider?

Mousetrap (1).jpg Mousetrap Cable Braiding.jpg Cable Braiding Race Fencing.jpg Race Fencing

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 21 Nov Killington Conditions

Sunshine with blue skies greeted the early K1 Gondi swelling line . Very rare were a Tuesday crowd is bigger than a Monday. Warming temps had the guns off for the day so I took advantage making it a shorts day. Had the pleasure of skiing with two different Barbra's that both were getting in the first turns of the season. Lift maintenance were hard at work setting up the Snowdon Poma for tomorrow. Mean while out on the race hill workers were injecting water into the slope trying to firm the surface up. World Cup fever is building with the Simon Pierce trophy waiting for the fastest woman to lay claim to the prize.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - No need to guzzle your first run like a beer when you are trying to get drunk fast.

Snowdon Poma setup time.jpg Snowdon Poma setup First Day Turns.jpg First Turns World Cup Trophy.jpg World Cup Trophy

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 23 Nov Killington Report

Mostly blue sky start with nice cold air greeting the holiday crowd. Summit temperature of 16 degrees with the snow guns strutting out crystal plumes of powder. Fastest snow of the year was attacked by the race fueled downhillers. Vibration from paving the chatter-uroy gave the feet a nice massage. Clocked my speed at almost 55 mph. The fastest women in the world should be impressed with this snow surface. Growing holiday crowd required dialing back the speed by mid morning. Roped dropped on FIS and Lower East Fall with lots of the new manmade to carve up. Ducking too close to the guns filled the remainder of the day.

Grade A-

Quote of the Day - The canyon is my happy place.

World Cup Media.jpg World Cup Media Lower East Fall (5).jpg Lower East Fall Gun Ducking.jpg Gun Ducking Dusk.jpg WC at Dusk

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Glad you all were skiing yesterday. It was a zoo today. Couldn't believe how many people were crowding the slopes, scraping down to icy base really quickly. I found respite at the Snowdon Poma for awhile ... great open slope that had very few people. Then the lift went down for the day and I was back amongst the craziness.

East Fall was a madhouse. Lots of people who had no business being on that run.

So, we knocked off early, hit the vendor tents, and picked up some freebies.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yesterday was overall not bad as far as crowds go. It was pretty icy which was fine. I came across this girl who'd fallen on one of the upper blues off the Snowdon and was terrified and asked me to help her down which I did. Bunny buster heading down to the base was a disaster by 3pm. We didn't ski today, just parked in the K1 lot and checked out the vendors in the village.

Last edited:
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 1Dec Killington Conditions

Low hanging fog covered the upper mountain peaks. Summit temperature of 28 degrees with last night’s wet weather leaving a higher elevation white coating. Snow guns continue to coat Cascade, Bittersweet with even Ovation Headwall getting some love. Skye Peak is open for the season with Superstar holding onto some of it’s World Cup teeth. Blue ice rocks littered the steep slope reminding all that a race was here a few days ago. Skyelark was the choice of most as the snow was a tad friendlier. Even the Ramshead Quad was running carrying folks up for laps on Caper. Mountain looks great heading into final month of the year.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - Sometimes the ski evaluates the driver.

Lower Superstar (3).jpg Lower Superstar Upper Ridge Run (1).jpg Upper Ridge Run Supestar Headwall.jpg Superstar Headwall

Sponsor

Staff online