• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
That site is just absurd. Units in miles. How ridiculous. Until they develop a shred of common sense, I consider it trash info. ogsmile
Next time I demo a Black Crows ski with it's length stated to 0.1cm, I'll be sure to measure Skyhawk with it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That site is just absurd. Units in miles. How ridiculous. Until they develop a shred of common sense, I consider it trash info. ogsmile
Next time I demo a Black Crows ski with it's length stated to 0.1cm, I'll be sure to measure Skyhawk with it.

Geez... picky, picky.... fine, I did them both at once in metric this time. Just for you @James ...

upload_2018-4-28_12-16-12.png

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably. Though that's always off and you find out it's only like 35. @mdf made an ill advised venture down it last Sun which meant I had to go. Sheets of ice crust with odd bumps. Probably you could see the glare from space.

That’s hilarious, but it’s probably also true.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

What’s the Y axis scale? That looks like feet. It’s so weird. You need the same X and Y units to calculate %.

LOL, the 0.1 cm increments on Black Crows are probably just a quirky thing with no real meaning, same as their funny phrases on the sidewalls of their skis (mine say “gluten free.”)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s the Y axis scale? That looks like feet. It’s so weird. You need the same X and Y units to calculate %.

LOL, the 0.1 cm increments on Black Crows are probably just a quirky thing with no real meaning, same as their funny phrases on the sidewalls of their skis (mine say “gluten free.”)

Yep, the Y axis is feet. Probably because that's how folks talk about vertical (at least in the USA) ... in feet. Elevations are usually given in feet, topographic maps are done in vertical feet, etc.

You might say you skied 7400 vertical feet. You probably would say you skied 1.4 vertical miles. But you might say you covered 1.4 miles (horizontally).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Fun day today. New trails. Learned how to get to superstar from summit off gondola. Blue heaven. Looked really fun off there if all was open.

Beneath headewall on superstar as we were heading to skylark. Other picture us at base of sky hawk. Pic doesn't do that trail justice. No i didn't ski down it lol.
20180428_141505.jpg 20180428_141804(1).jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Killington was a lot of fun this past weekend. Hung out with @Guy in Shorts and his crew saturday afternoon after we were done skiing. Met up with him and his friend Rob on sunday afternoon for an amazing afternoon. We skied a run or so when them and then Guy in shorts took me down lower east falls again which is the run where the boarder took me out in December. I hadn't been back on this run since that time. He acted as sweeper and patiently skied behind me cheering me on as I went through my PTSD going through the run. Rob and Michael waited for us mid trail and then they cheered me on as we skied the rest of the run. Then he proceeded to give us a little snapshot of navigational tips and tricks to get around mid mountain. I went on my new favorite trail, a black just past the northridge triple. It was called Upper ridge run I think, a ungroomed black run with these fabulous baby bumps on them. He stayed behind me most of the time coaching me on and shouting words of encouragement. Then...... he took us on lower cascade which is a double black. Michael and Rob tried to hide the sign from me so I wouldn't see it because Michael knew if I knew exactly what I was going on I'd have an anxiety attack. I knew it was a double because a little birdie told me and I kept thinking OMG, OMG OMG as I tried not to think about it. GIS again stayed behind me encouraging me to stay to the left on the bumps as we made our way down the trail. It was a terrifyingly fun afternoon. I'm one that gently needs to be pushed to go out of my comfort zone and this was the perfect afternoon for it. Conditions were soft spring snow with soft ice mixed in. Then after this I wanted to go down east falls again which is what we did to end the day, especially when we realized the canyon chair had stopped running so down the mountain we went. It was super fun to ski with you guys. GIS gave me the nicest compliment in saying my ability surpasses my confidence and they were trying to up my confidence so that more of the mountain would be open to me. This day was certainly a good start. I had an incredible amount of fun and that beer never tasted so good at the end of the day. It was an overcast day and the upper mountain was pretty fogged in. It was snowing at the summit the end of the day. It was an awesome, awesome weekend.

Last edited:
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 28 April Weekend Conditions Report
Very nice window of sunny warmth enveloped the mountain for most of Saturday putting a nice shine on a mostly damp final weekend for the K-1. Soft snow had the canyon full of thrill seekers ripping up Double Dipper and Downdraft. Pounded out as many laps as possible on all my canyon favorites. Surfing the watery slush at the K1 base was a needed skill to get to the gondola. Many places to test your pond skimming style popped up. We took one final walk up Killink to say goodbye to Snowdon finishing up with Northstar run to the tailgate. Closed the weekend out with a descent down Catwalk on a rainy Sunday admiring to amount of snow that still lies across our high terrain.

Spring Grade A-

Quote of the Day – The Peak Lodge Bar is the happiest place on Earth.
Highline fun.jpg Highline Slushy.jpg Slushy Last Catwalk.jpg Catwalk

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Heading up to Killington this weekend for another weekend of fun. Weather will be mostly sunny and high 50s saturday and low 60s sunday. I will probably have my black wind pants on and either my black shell or a hoody on and my Meier Wild Bill skis

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 2 May Killington Conditions

Two amazingly soft warm spring days has The Beast roaring into May. Morning lift delay was history by the time we arrived in the afternoon. Acres of white skin lay exposed to the sun as any winter wear was shed by most. Even Ski Patrol was wearing red tee shirts with the standard white cross on the sleeve. High banked luge course left over from the May Day Race will remain for some weekend fun. Huge slushy soft piles of corn made for delightful fun on Superstar. Ovation Headwall entrance is nearly toasted with some perfect bumps tucked below for the brave. Last run for the season on Vertigo for me was sad. Crowd on the U bar patio soaked up afternoon fun welcoming in the May ski season with the lifts running an extra hour.

Spring Grade A-

Quote of the Day – Find joy in the snow because the same amount will fall regardless.

Best Seats.jpg Best Seats Air Time.jpg Air Time Luge Run.jpg Luge Run

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 3 May Killington Conditions

Today was the day for all those fans of frozen mooncrust to chew all they could eat. Perfect corn of the past couple of days has gone back into hiding waiting for the warming sun to return. Hard frozen corn surface pot marked with ball pen hammer precision stayed in place all day. Ovation Headwall was roped as all that is left of the entrance is a leftover snowmaking hose. Should be open for the weekend to allow folks to hike to the remaining snow. Mid to lower Ovation still have good coverage with a short walk required at the bottom to return to the lift. Groomed Skye to Bitter was uninspiring and flat even at the end of the day. Enjoyed the final run down Superstar staying in the lines that had been most skied.

Spring Grade- Pass

Quote of the Day – Any day that I get to ski Lower O makes me smile.

Lower O.jpg Lower O Leftover hose.jpg Leftover Hose

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@Guy in Shorts How is upper bittersweet. I noticed they didn't groom it last night. Not sure how to access upper skylark without doing superstar headwall.

Scratch that. I was calling upper skylark by upper bittersweet all this time. My bad. :doh:. I'm only over here in the spring is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Heading up tonight.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Killington Parking Alert: Bud Light Triathlon tomorrow. Lifts spin at 8. Park early.

Hope to see some of you there!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Getting Michael out of bed early is near impossible. Especially with the time we usually get in Friday night. We will likely arrive our usual time. We seem to have petty good parking karma. Sometimes we catch one of the locals leaving after their couple hours of runs. We'll have the jeep this weekend so worst case we make our own parking somewhere ;)

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Springtime at Killington

Sunny, warm, mashed potatoes.

My guy, his brothers, their friends.

F.S. in a tie-dye T shirt with skulls and stuff on it, sporting 10-day growth.

@SallyCat, @surfsnowgirl, Michael, and the woman who lent me a hair tie.

Ridiculous lift lines after 10:30. Watching my guy ski Ovation without hitting the mud. Tailgating by lunch. A good time was had by all.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It was great to catch up with folks at Killington this weekend.

Bluebird day Saturday. My favorite run of the day was ungroomed upper bittersweet. Superstar quad line was long but it moved fast. Lower bittersweet was majorly bumped up by the end of the day.

Sunday overcast and damp but still just as fun. Bumped up but not like the day prior. Favorite run of the day was lower skylark.

I no longer wish for groomed snow. Ungroomed and bumps all the way, all day.

It was a great weekend. We skied, we ate, we drank. All weekend we skied and socialized and tailgated with our new friends and had lots of chit chat with people along the mountain as we skied down. Ran into a couple Bromley folks as well.

I think we are wrapping it up after this weekend. Not because they aren't still open but because I'm unsure of the state of bittersweet and skylark by next weekend and we have to drive 3.5 hours for it so......

Amazing weekend, didn't want it to end.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Amazing weekend, didn't want it to end.
Set-up base camp early both days. Toasting turning 59 with lots of friends on Saturday. Love when I am lucky enough to get to ski on my birthday. Enjoyed having some lift lines as it changes the pace of skiing we had the past week. A five minute lift line gave some time to socialize, check out all the cool skis and take in the spring spectacle. Bearded version of Stormy Daniels was looking to hook-up with everyone. Amazing food ranging from chocolate raspberry birthday cake with butter cream frosting to venison with fiddleheads was a tailgaters dream party. Didn’t want it to end either.

Sponsor

Staff online