• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
we noticed someone in patrol had decided it would be amusing to open Sky Hawk -- the Superstar headwall's steeper, meaner brother. @James suggested it would be a bad idea, but I pointed out the scarcity value -- it had not been open in forever!

Yikes. I can't remember when I've seen the ropes dropped on skyhawk. I was wondering if/when it was ever opened.

Skyehawk is open fairly often. As GIS pointed out, it gets a lot of blow-over for a base on skier's left, and the slope is fairly grassy, and where it isn't grassy the rocks are smooth. This may sound like a joke, which it sort of is, but compared to the sharks teeth on Vertigo they are benign. You can push some thin cover on Skyehawk if you're on your I don't care powder skis, of which every Killington skier should have a pair. The rope lives there almost the whole season. What changes is a narrow gate will open on the Superstar side. If you just see the rope, and don't see the little gate, you won't know it's open. If it snowed over a foot in the last 3 weeks, more than likely it's been open. A lot. It was open essentially the entire month of March, plus the 2nd half of December. This year the blow-over was especially, um, shapely.

That said, for the unfamiliar discretion counts in deciding if it's a good idea to try it. Watch someone go down if its open, and see how it skis. Once the temp is 50 or higher, it's game on in the Spring. Those bumps can be the cliff-iest on the mountain, and the first 5 are.... steep. Graduation day.

Only twice on May 1st I've skied Killington's "Front 4" from the top: Vertigo, Skyehawk, Superstar and Ovation. That doesn't happen very often, we'll see about this year.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Skyehawk a lot the year I did many spring weekends. That was three or four, maybe even five years ago. It is good when it gets soft.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Recalling our conversation on traffic tickets in Plymouth and Bridgewater, I found that the anecdotal evidence in local gossip and on this revered forum is completely accurate. Plymouth, Bridgewater, and Mt. Tabor (Rt. 7) are making a bundle from traffic tickets. Plymouth, with a population just over 600, issues the most speeding tickets of any town in Vermont.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/watch-your-speed-these-three-towns-issue-quarter-vermonts-traffic-fines
It's not just Vermont. If you are driving through (S)lower Delaware to their beaches or to those south of there (we would pass through on the way to the Outer Banks), it is well known that the small towns off the RT 1 expressway will hit up anyone over the speed limit to collect revenue.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
News from today's email:

Our original lift plan for this weekend, based on what we’ve done in past years, was to run only the Superstar Express Quad. But with much better snow coverage than we’ve had in previous years, we have decided to take some of your suggestions and add the K-1 Express Gondola Friday through Sunday, and the Canyon Quad Saturday and Sunday. We’ll also keep the Peak Lodge Restaurant open Saturday and Sunday (with a limited menu) and we’ll operate the Superstar Express Quad daily for an additional full week, through May 6. After that, we’ll drop down to our Friday through Sunday operating mode, starting May 11 and continuing until the snow is gone. Be sure to check the Conditions Report for all the latest details.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I'm liking the K decision to run Canyon lift. Weather is another story although better than originally predicted earlier this week. High for Sunday is 30 at tip top summit, 43 at base, anyone have insight as to how the Canyon trails might be, firm or enough play in the turns?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
High for Sunday is 30 at tip top summit, 43 at base, anyone have insight as to how the Canyon trails might be, firm or enough play in the turns?
They are pretty near the top. If it is sunny, they will soften up nicely. (Last weekend Double Dipper was nice from about 11-3.) If it is not sunny, I doubt they will soften up very much.

But if it is groomed, it doesn't matter that much. If it stays cold, you get sugar snow which doesn't have the luxurious feel of corn, but works ok. If it warms up, the groomed ice softens more quickly than the natural state.
(Actually, I like "firm" and even "FIRM" too, but I'm weird that way.)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We'll be at Killington this weekend. Wearing maroon ski pants, black shell and will have either Meier quickdraws or blue nordica santa ana 100s. Heading up gondola while it's still open. Then probably superstar quad at some point.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm liking the K decision to run Canyon lift. Weather is another story although better than originally predicted earlier this week. High for Sunday is 30 at tip top summit, 43 at base, anyone have insight as to how the Canyon trails might be, firm or enough play in the turns?
I think they'll be firm. Looks like it'll be cloudy.
I'm seeing a high of near 47 -49 at the top on Sat. Near 60 at base. Possible light rain showers.

Looks like wed-thur next week is the snow killer. 70 with some rain.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yeah skiing fatter skis Saturday and 88 underfoot ones Sunday. This might be our last weekend depending on what happens with the rain next week. I need to start getting in gear for Scotland in July so this might be a good cutoff for us.

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
We'll be at Killington this weekend. Wearing maroon ski pants, black shell and will have either Meier quickdraws or blue nordica santa ana 100s.

Will be there Sunday. Will have either Blizzard Magnum 8.5 Ti or Bonafides, Red or black boots, Gray rain jacket or blue windstop jacket, Anon goggles with, probably, low light lenses, but maybe bright day lenses, gray Spring gloves or warmer black gloves. For sure gray pants, black and gray LEKI poles with red accents, and black helmet. Don't know Killington all that well. Will be heading up, then down, then up, then down... :). Oh, I may or may not have a black mask on, depending on "precipitation"

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Will be out both days looking very pugly with pug stickers on my Faction Dictators. Last Saturday the crowd of over 4500 skiers made it hard to find folks.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This might be our last weekend depending on what happens with the rain next week.
Quitting skiing a month early when you have a pass? Are you giving up on acquiring and swapping out skis at the same time? They kind of go hand and hand.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Quitting skiing a month early when you have a pass? Are you giving up on acquiring and swapping out skis at the same time? They kind of go hand and hand.

Ha. I know I know. I've always wanted to ski into may.... Lets see how this weekend goes and how much rain comes next week. I'm sure I'll be heading up next Friday night. Hard to stop when its been this good....... Our pass has more than paid for itself. It's 3.5 hours for us to get here but we'll see. If we lived up here you'd have to pry my cold, dead hands off superstar....

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't give you numbers, only subjective comparisons. The Superstar headwall and the Skyehawk headwall cover about the same distance horizontally and vertically. But Superstar is about the same pitch from the top down to the road, while Skyehawk is concave -- it uses up most of its vertical in the first half of the pitch. The Ovation headwall may be even steeper, but it is much shorter.

(I'm referring to the skiers left edge of Skyehawk -- the other side looks like it might be more uniform. But the snow blows off of that side and vegetation was sticking up through the snow.)

James

Out There
Instructor
How steep is it, degree-wise? 40? Pictures never do it justice.
Probably. Though that's always off and you find out it's only like 35. @mdf made an ill advised venture down it last Sun which meant I had to go. Sheets of ice crust with odd bumps. Probably you could see the glare from space.

Speaking of which...I was in town Sun before skiing. (Though it might have been after parking to ski, which was nearly the same thing) Looked up at the mountain and huge glare off a trail. That was Downdraft. It was closed. It had that ice in March when the powder came. Never stuck.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Wow amazing what a week does. Highline looks terrible. Everything else is looking good. Looked like more of the rope was dropped on sky hawk today. Skied a little bit, U bar time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably. Though that's always off and you find out it's only like 35. @mdf made an ill advised venture down it last Sun which meant I had to go. Sheets of ice crust with odd bumps. Probably you could see the glare from space.

Speaking of which...I was in town Sun before skiing. (Though it might have been after parking to ski, which was nearly the same thing) Looked up at the mountain and huge glare off a trail. That was Downdraft. It was closed. It had that ice in March when the powder came. Never stuck.

Superstar - 34.1 degrees :

upload_2018-4-28_11-54-7.png

Skyhawk - 31.5 degrees :

upload_2018-4-28_11-55-22.png

Now these are both without snow loading and micro-features, both of which could make several turns steeper than that. But overall, Superstar is steeper.