• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
June 1st Hiking Report
Early morning fog cleared giving us a sweet weather window to hike up to the dirty melting snow on Superstar. The lift served fun of last year a distant memory. Ample army of flying insects welcomed us to the top of remaining snow. Savoring every turn on the pot marked hard surface we descended. Deep crevasses were a common hazard that needed your full attention. Skis came off a half dozen times to walk the bare sections. Worked our way down towards the lower patch were our friends were churning out laps. Celebrated at the final tailgate for the season on June 1 for the fifth year in a row.

Muddy Snow.jpg Muddy Snow Hazards.jpg Hazards Lower Patch.jpg Lower Patch Hkiing Ladies.jpg Hiking Ladies

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
That's just sad.
Do get a little sad at the end. Our Spring season lasted only six weeks kicking into gear on Saturday April 22 when over 4500 skiers showed up for some warm fun. Better than average number of soft corn days as May was the fifth warmest on record. Yesterday let me know it is time to move on and start looking forward to the Fall cold.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Recreational weed is legal in VT, right?
As of July 1 you are allowed to grow and posses. Lawmakers are taking their time getting a retail market set up but the taxman is coming. The locals green farmers market is well established so we are waiting for the effects.

James

Out There
Instructor
Do get a little sad at the end. Our Spring season lasted only six weeks kicking into gear on Saturday April 22 when over 4500 skiers showed up for some warm fun. Better than average number of soft corn days as May was the fifth warmest on record. Yesterday let me know it is time to move on and start looking forward to the Fall cold.
Yes we were there that weekend. Parking was insane. Hopefully next year they'll keep the shuttles running.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now I understand why I saw folks in ski boots in the parking lot last weekend! I was just doing a drive by to see how the gondi and lift work is going, but not too much to say there. Took a nice hike up the Canty Trail with the look-out towards Pico. I think you can see a thin strip of Superstar in the distance.

TpB8qlJTT3xY31SAFNh1ZwGbVLs6eAJvzOGdYKyW8qLT2e2P_FDfx0IkqB3Lc36QDX6kHY5kcfgb5zq3NswyHefUzMJoaA5GNWCM1JMeJy6lrm6slqKeBreGu9gsqX_MKs5e-zRFQBWv9qV9lQf7USi_6GceE9AzcbankODPP03Cz4j8m2UUbdJTtC785Q3Gt2oMOj5hIxAHvz-h_Xaik2vLhv6b9MWi6SgVeXuo9GTrXl9s5QKbfc52zuCTWvf7Wf8FWQHP3Ar6-DPDQcDVzb3iqLjSvDX3EvaJDzAzPd280cICoVR_SIKWAR8uqHfeUDix_QIgBYtaLB1MFILb5WMJK7zlUg64eK0OXbkFJluCPhg8mkzsRVGn7W3sMcQHPztwS88LjOE141OpbDhuBHkC03bn2VUhBm9pN49o-vc4KarYt02tE_dMwb_2HsuUEs1N33c-3myryLTg8vRzbbiJmDUeEPDjHb8pwasV6okgacRpCMSdwDvwQmCL5cOx1QVbpxqUNrvtjpFCqn9soA44j0JgJ3YKBu2Lb9O-QkOUTeaauD7n3QzykHl-CuS1QPQNc6gSbV8GLAURkL0ye1Yf3l1xwHM8CxJv_0k=w1634-h919-no

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
^ That's funny. Several times.

1) Put on skis and discover snow runs out.
2) Decide to mud ski with insufficient skillz.
3) Upon sudden deceleration of right foot, take giant step with left foot and step authoritatively on right ski, guaranteeing gymnastics.
4) Thrash in mud so much camera lens goes blurry.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Here's a few photos that show some of the earthwork going on at Killington this summer & fall. This is the first tunnel on Skyeburst, there are 3 others under construction on Great Northern by the old Poma, Lower Chute, and Great Bear. Plus the new 6 pack and relocated South Ridge Quad.

Skyeburst1.jpg Skyeburst2.jpg Skyeburst3.jpg

Does anywhere else in the world have ski tunnels of this size? (~120 feet long, 15 feet high, 35 feet wide)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm so excited about the changes. I'm not sure I've ever skied through a tunnel before, does anywhere else have them I wonder? Does this mean I'll have to think of another name for what I call the Great Northern Trail of Death? I got hooked on Great Bear last season, fun, bumps all the way down. I'm a little afraid of the high speed chair going on in Snowdown for the sheer volume of people that's going to speed up there. I fear for crowds. I'm very excited about the south ridge quad.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
I'm so excited about the changes. I'm not sure I've ever skied through a tunnel before, does anywhere else have them I wonder?
There used to be one at Okemo - Sachem trail under the Snow Bridge road. I think it's still there. . .

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lower Wanderer and Home Run at Stratton have ski tunnels and Ethans Alley has a ski bridge. These are the result of housing roads. I think there are 2 ski bridges over housing roads off the Tamarack triple, too.

Sponsor

Staff online