• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Killington Terrain Mid/Late December

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey, sorry if this was coming across as a downer...I have been following the weather reports and am super stoked

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Killington looks like it will be good this year but you never know. We went last year mid Jan. and it was so cold and windy they closed it for the weekend. This applies to New England, but my general rule is use rock skis during November, old trusted skis in December and your new skis as soon as there is a decent base. That way you get out and won't feel bad as you trash your gear.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
First timer to Killington this year...3rd week of December. Will I need rock skis for the groomers? Probably not trying to go off-trail this early in the year. Will be watching this thread closely.

James

Out There
Instructor
First timer to Killington this year...3rd week of December. Will I need rock skis for the groomers? Probably not trying to go off-trail this early in the year. Will be watching this thread closely.
No.
But... there's always a chance the season backslides horribly.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
My experience is you have a much greater chance of ski damage in the Rockies than in the Northeast. In the Northeast, with snowmaking the base is usually decent (and bulletproof) on all open trails. Exceptions are trails that rely on natural snow or the woods. In the Rockies if you venture off the main groomers, you have to be aware of what lurks below the top covering, especially early season when the base is thin. They don't call it the Rockies for no reason.

Sponsor

Staff online