• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Apparently there's a Killngton, Vermont local who is closing in on the record for most vertical feet skied in a year -- 6.4 million vertical feet. :eek:

Any Killington regulars seen him around? Is he bombing groomers the whole time or skiing everything in sight?

I figure I get somewhere in the ballpark of a million vertical feet per season...

http://mountaintimes.info/local-tries-ski-vertical-feet-world/

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Apparently there's a Killngton, Vermont local who is closing in on the record for most vertical feet skied in a year -- 6.4 million vertical feet. :eek:

Any Killington regulars seen him around? Is he bombing groomers the whole time or skiing everything in sight?

I figure I get somewhere in the ballpark of a million vertical feet per season...

http://mountaintimes.info/local-tries-ski-vertical-feet-world/
Did you read the comment from Bruce?
Hi, have been friends & skied with Scott for years at Killington and around the world. He is special, intense,and a lot of fun to ski with. I don’t think most people understand how hard and the dedication it took to achieve this record. This isn’t just one year, he has been chasing this vertical record for 3- 4 years. This is great publicity for KILLLINGTON for someone from the east to achieve this record over all the skiers out west. One example would be when we were in Jackson Hole this year, there were days when we would be skiing great powder, or climbing/skinning and Scott would be churning laps at the resort to get his 50-75k vertical for the day. Also the days at Killington when its minus 20 degrees, were all in the lodge and he is still churning laps. This is truly an AMAZING achievement the rest of us skiers marvel at. The Killington community should honor SCOTT !!!!

The comments about churning laps while others in your group are skiing powder or churning laps while others are in the lodge warming up. It had to get lonely and grueling at some point.

Reactions: RJS

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And these comments:
26013cf67332372df66318bfff117380

TIM
MAY 11, 2018 5:20:53 AM

Scott is a special kind of guy. Most of us that ski with and know Scott… ski over 100 days a year… but skiing a 100 days is nothing compared to Scott’s 6 millions plus vertical feet. We all enjoying skiing with Scott…. focused to a point o being obsessive.. he is alot of fun he keeps us laughing … a great skier…. he skis some crazy stuff…..

2bc97849bc0e7ec453cb363408b14ab3

JANET
MAY 08, 2018 11:33:56 PM

I’ve known Scott for many years. We don’t ski together because I ski at at snails pace. (Place your jokes here now)
His tenacity to do this is well with in his wheel house. Everyone that I know and is following his accomplicishment is in awe of his determination for getting to this point. We have watched him doing run after run. Some times to the detriment of people being to slow in line. We know it’s real. He ran it.
Congratulations Scott!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Too much OCD for my taste - going to JH and churning groomer laps when there is powder to be had sounds like the definition of obsession.

I bet the guys in question had fun doing their thing but I suspect it is a very narrow group of people (& mainly or wholly male) that are interested in emulating it.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I bet the guys in question had fun doing their thing but I suspect it is a very narrow group of people (& mainly or wholly male) that are interested in emulating it.
We finally had a female vert winner this year (4,059,637 feet), although there had usually been 1-2 in the top ten every year. I think her record this year is the highest for women over the 15 years they've been tracking. The one I know who is regularly on the top ten list is not banging groomers. She is skiing off piste regularly, but just out there daily. It's when you go over the 4 mill mark that you've got to be a yo-yo.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier

His truck was parked next to mine on Saturday. I missed the last chair by 2 seconds and Scott was right behind me trying to beg his way on for one more ride. His Trace app had him at 52 runs for the day with over 60,000 vertical. They partially groomed Superstar every day last weekend so yes he bombs groomed trails. He also skis at Stowe lapping the Forerunner Quad. With a seven month long lift served ski season that many stretch out even longer with hiking the bar runs pretty high when you try to claim top spot in any category around here. Getting into the Guinness Book of Records requires lots of documentation of your feat which he has amassed, then they have to accept the record as genuine. Snowboarder in my crew has normally logged 3.5 to 4 million vertical for years. Says he will back off as he approaches 70 but I have not seen any sign of him slowing down. Killington has earned the title of "The Land of Misfit Toys" for good reason. Lots of us toys just hanging out on the playground hoping recess with never end.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once the lifts stop he'll be able to hike and have some fun. It's not everyone's idea of a good time but it's only for one season. If he's skiing right now I bet it's more fun than I'm having sitting at work.

Sponsor

Staff online