• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Sitting in the lodge, most everything on wind hold. Not the windiest I seen here.:huh:
Wind direction matters, as does the peak gusts. Winds and gusts can change significantly with altitude. Mid day freezing rain had to be an issue on the detach lifts. Southeast winds were 90 degrees to K1, and the wind fence on Skyeship II was now on the wrong side. Always hard to second guess, but with wind and icing it wasn't that big a head scratcher.

it doesn't seem too bad as was predicted earlier, like yesterday. I'm looking to head to either Pico or Hunter tomorrow so throw out any live update if you can! .

Temp outside is 30⁰ at 11pm, and while there was a few hours of light freezing rain, no crust has formed. There was about 1/16"- glaze on southern facing glass on the car at the end of the day. The snow has some fluff and is eminently packable. The mountain will be more wind affected.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wind direction matters, as does the peak gusts. Winds and gusts can change significantly with altitude. Mid day freezing rain had to be an issue on the detach lifts. Southeast winds were 90 degrees to K1, and the wind fence on Skyeship II was now on the wrong side. Always hard to second guess, but with wind and icing it wasn't that big a head scratcher.

Temp outside is 30⁰ at 11pm, and while there was a few hours of light freezing rain, no crust has formed. There was about 1/16"- glaze on southern facing glass on the car at the end of the day. The snow has some fluff and is eminently packable. The mountain will be more wind affected.
Yeah, I'm still learning this mountain. We did get some late afternoon runs after they opened the bubble. Yesterday was wonderful and looking forward to today. Friends arrived last night, the husband has skied NE for decades, so should be a good time.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Spring passes are good starting today. Welcome to all our newest pass holders. Shaping up to be a great spring season.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Just Announced:

■ New North Ridge quad, goal is in by October, start in April.
■ Build Great Bear tunnel
■ Pipeline for snowmaking water from K to Pico.
■ Double the pump capacity at Pico.
■ New KBL Lodge, 1st half built this summer, built below existing lodge, base floor level with K1 Gondola. 2nd half built next summer (2020) and then tear down old lodge. New lodge 3 stories (so is old one) and is 50% larger. Bar on 3rd floor, a la Pico, but with better views.
■ Redesigned novice area at base of Ramshead with new longer 600' magic carpet.
■ More Mtn bike development at Ramshead.
■ Some new snow gun nozzles and new towers, more pipe replacement.
■ New pina colada topping for Waffle Shack.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Exciting about the Northridge quad. Although the wild ride getting off the red chair at magic has surpassed the "fun" factor of the Northridge triple.

Wow big changes, exciting.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 68392

Current state of the Superstar build. It's big. Big. May is so far in the bank it's coming out the other side.
Last spring I sometimes took a route where you ski down the side of the bank towards the rope, make a quick turn, and came back up to the plateau covering most of the run. That photo looks like that would be a cornice jump this year!

I haven't used any of my Killington Ikon days yet....

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know the NE Gathering is this weekend, but my season pass is leading me back home to Killington. This may be the final ski trip of the year, and I'll be flying solo since the wife can't afford any more vacation days. Anyone not at the Gathering interested in hooking up for some turns?

My last day two weeks ago was a wonderful spring day of skiing and I'd like a little more. We did take a ride down the Superstar glacier, but I stay away from the rope side!

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I know the NE Gathering is this weekend, but my season pass is leading me back home to Killington. This may be the final ski trip of the year, and I'll be flying solo since the wife can't afford any more vacation days. Anyone not at the Gathering interested in hooking up for some turns?

My last day two weeks ago was a wonderful spring day of skiing and I'd like a little more. We did take a ride down the Superstar glacier, but I stay away from the rope side!
Wife is hosting her annual Girlie ski weekend so the Saturday posse size is down. We start on the bubble at 8 make a run or two then lap the K-1 Gondola skiing the canyon. May make a peak to creek run to get some Mexican Breakfast at the Skyeship Base as that lodge and Stage 1 of the Skyeship closes this weekend. You are welcome to join in the reindeer games.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wife is hosting her annual Girlie ski weekend so the Saturday posse size is down. We start on the bubble at 8 make a run or two then lap the K-1 Gondola skiing the canyon. May make a peak to creek run to get some Mexican Breakfast at the Skyeship Base as that lodge and Stage 1 of the Skyeship closes this weekend. You are welcome to join in the reindeer games.

GIS, I am seeing forecast of "r**n" for sometime Saturday via Open Snow - do you have any better idea of timing of said weather event - I am planning to be up - would like to ski with you again - it's been a while.....

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
GIS, I am seeing forecast of "r**n" for sometime Saturday via Open Snow - do you have any better idea of timing of said weather event - I am planning to be up - would like to ski with you again - it's been a while.....
Only a few showers look to be on tap for Saturday. We have clear sailing for the Pugski South Gathering. See you then. Off to Mad River today.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only a few showers look to be on tap for Saturday. We have clear sailing for the Pugski South Gathering. See you then. Off to Mad River today.

Will be at the Bubble at 8 am. PM me here or on Kzone -

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This afternoon was soggier than hoped for, so called it early to save my legs for tomorrow. And I had to work on that condo project that was the "real" reason for this trip. Yeah, I need 4 days of skiing for about 4 hours of work.:roflmao:

See you at bubble tomorrow, I may be a little sleepy as I have to watch my Houston Cougars tonight.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shout out to @Guy in Shorts @Wannabeskibum Rich, and Steve for skiing with me today and pushing me out of my comfort zone. There was only one unfortunate overterraining of this intermediate, the rest was very educational and most important, fun! Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!:beercheer:
It was great to ski with you today and congratulations on meeting the wizard of the light.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Shout out to @Guy in Shorts @Wannabeskibum Rich, and Steve for skiing with me today and pushing me out of my comfort zone. There was only one unfortunate overterraining of this intermediate, the rest was very educational and most important, fun! Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!:beercheer:

That's awesome. I've been down trails with @Wannabeskibum and it's been amazing. @Guy in Shorts has this ability to get me down trails and i'm all hmmm how did this happen ...... he skis behind me, makes sure I'm good and shouts out words of encouragement. He's good like that.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With the rain and then lighting holds on the lifts, I didn't get any runs until the late afternoon. I stuck to the bubble lift in case the rain decided to return and alternated between the groomers and the blue bump runs. Oh, I did venture down the black Big Bear when no one was watching.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m pretty sure I’m heading up this coming weekend for my last hurrah of the season. My plan is Sugarbush Saturday and killington Sunday. If anyone is around and wants to meet up for a couple of runs LMK.

Sponsor