• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 18 Dec Killington Report
Breaks of bright light let us know that there was a sun in the sky. A blustery 6 degrees on the top with a stiff sailors wind. Third day of grooming since the freeze with three inches of fresh from yesterday mixed in making for a solid fast carving surface. Pockets of wind driven soft could be found in select spots. Initial run on Bunny Buster had a shallow cover of new over the groomed base. Grabbed a few laps on Needles before some of the coldest weather we have had to date had us seeking the shelter of the Gondola. Got a thumbs up from the doc on my six moths post roar cuff reattachment.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - I like my winter cold to be a little warmer please.

Bunny Buster.jpg Bunny Buster At the gate.jpg At the Gate

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Which lift? You booting up in the car?
Hell get there early and park next to the Skyeship down on Rte 4 and walk on.
Skyeship Lodge on Rt 4 is the closest and opens on Monday Dec 24th. Lots of different lodges and parking options at Killington. Trailside parking off the Vale Rd is popular if you boot up in the car.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
First time at Killington yesterday and today. Today we parked in the lot by the new Snowden lift and skied right on. We did not get there particularly early, around 9:30 or so.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fun couple days at killington Friday and Saturday under less than optimal conditions. Of course we all know about the rain on Friday but snow conditions on the trails were not too bad. I was hoping that the drop in temps on Saturday would come late enough to keep things relatively soft but it was not to be. Morning was ok but wind picked up after lunch - several lifts closed for a wind hold. Conditions were, um, firm. But we made the best of it and had a good time. Here's hoping for better conditions the next time we make our way up here.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Which lift? You booting up in the car?
Hell get there early and park next to the Skyeship down on Rte 4 and walk on.

Thanks, did Bear Mountain today, and it wasn't bad. Will do this on Monday.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
My gloves blew off in the wind today. :roflmao: I don't want to buy an expensive one as I'm getting an extra warm LEKI for Christmas (won't be able to get it until I return home), so suggestions for where I can buy cheapies that'll hold me over for a couple of days, in the Killington-Lebanon area?

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Btw., do they have the free bag check in all base lodges or only some of them?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well today was interesting to say the least. My entire ski and boot was immersed in a puddle of water getting onto one lift. At least my boot didn't leak. We called it a day early.

James

Out There
Instructor
My gloves blew off in the wind today. :roflmao: I don't want to buy an expensive one as I'm getting an extra warm LEKI for Christmas (won't be able to get it until I return home), so suggestions for where I can buy cheapies that'll hold me over for a couple of days, in the Killington-Lebanon area?
Well there's ems in Lebanon. Forerunner has cheapish gloves in Killington including the Hestra $20 work gloves. They have a huge range. A lot of ski shops have a cheap basket.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Well there's ems in Lebanon. Forerunner has cheapish gloves in Killington including the Hestra $20 work gloves. They have a huge range. A lot of ski shops have a cheap basket.

That's what I wanted to hear, thank you! I took it off to help someone, and in that moment of urgency, I did not think to put them in my jacket. I just put them on top of the poles, and that was the end of it!

I went to Northern Ski Works, and they didn't have anything cheap. I went there mainly to get a boot fitted, and ended up getting custom insoles from Chris. Anyone have experiences with his work?

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Btw., do they have the free bag check in all base lodges or only some of them?

Definitely at the K1 every day plus free bins upstairs.. Snowshed has free bag check on weekends and you can use the bag check racks other days for free. Other lodges (Rams Head, Bear, Skyeship) have free racks or bins, but not sure if they have someone checking bags on weekends.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's what I wanted to hear, thank you! I took it off to help someone, and in that moment of urgency, I did not think to put them in my jacket. I just put them on top of the poles, and that was the end of it!

I went to Northern Ski Works, and they didn't have anything cheap. I went there mainly to get a boot fitted, and ended up getting custom insoles from Chris. Anyone have experiences with his work?
I think he was the one who sold me and fitted my boots last spring. I had zip fits and custom footbeds in my last boots. These have stock liners, no custom footbeds and I haven't had to go back for any adjustments yet. I will be going back there for footbeds and risers next time I'm in town.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 23 Dec Killington Report
Sun greeted the morning winter lovers. Mountain is on the mend after the wet event the ended our great Fall. Summit temperature of 12 degrees with the guns back on everywhere. Bunny had some sweet turns on the new manmade carpet. Hard petrified coral is the primary surface anywhere the has not seen a groomer. Expected holiday crowd showed up signaling the end of the early season. The new Bunny Headwall is proving to be quite a trap sucking newbies like unsuspecting mice. Last pass thru I watched several double ejections. Wife picked up the skis of one poor soul then she then told him to slide down to flats we he might have a fighting chance of getting his rentals back on. Swung into the Peak Bar were the Sunday Bloody Mary’s were being mixed up a half dozen at a time. Merry Christmas to all.

Grade C-

Quote of the Day - Snowmakers have a lot of work to make many skiers Christmas dreams come true.

Guns on (1).jpg Guns On Bunny Headwall.jpg Bunny Headwall Bloody Sunday.jpg Bloody Sunday

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I know this is Killington thread, but thought I'd have the best chance of getting the right answer here. When does Okemo resort generally close (mid March, early April, mid April, etc)? Comparatively, when does Killington generally close?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know this is Killington thread, but thought I'd have the best chance of getting the right answer here. When does Okemo resort generally close (mid March, early April, mid April, etc)? Comparatively, when does Killington generally close?
Okemo usually closes mid April and Killington a month or so later. The last couple of weeks at Killington you may just be lapping Superstar.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Okemo usually closes mid April and Killington a month or so later. The last couple of weeks at Killington you may just be lapping Superstar.

The last several years Killington made it to Memorial Day, and 2 seasons ago June 1st went in the books. The last weekend is for the faithful, as walking down the headwall and some snirt skills are required. Up to the second to last weekend though it is frequently wall to wall and lots of fun. Sure, it's "only" Superstar, but where else are you going to ski in May in the East?

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 1 Jan Killington Conditions
Foggy wet start to the New Year with moisture rich snowflakes falling from above. Summit temperature of 30 degrees marking end of our third warmup in the first twelve days of winter. Holiday crowds are gone as we had a light turnout to enjoy the first turns of 2019. Nabbed a few powder tuns down Chute as the new inch of snow covered the groomed carpet. Snow got a bit sticky as you got lower on the mountain. Cascade bumps were sweet with the low light conditions upping the challenge. Swung thru some high trees past the “Wizard’s House” but he has yet to take up his winter residence. Snow in the trees is down to bare bones with lots of hazards to avoid.

Grade C+

Quote of the Day - Skeleton of bones awaiting the next dose of winter.

Clearing sky.jpg Clearing Sky Wizard Waiting.jpg Wizard Wait Cascade Bumps.jpg Cascade Bumps

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid