• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 9 Dec Killington Report
Sun played hide and seek with the morning clouds. Winter cold has really settled in as we start another day with the summit checking in at 12 degrees. Showcasing the new blue six pack, K1 Gondola cabins and with all the tunnels up and running The Beast was in mid season form. Snowmakers have guns going full bore on Bear Mountain with the bumps on Wildfire the best that I could find. Official open trail count hit 112 with many of the closed trails perfectly skiable. Light fully snow that fell on Friday lacked durability as the weekend traffic skied the natural trails down to the solid base. Meet many IKON pass holders enjoying their Killington Day. Hit the Jamaican Jerk House for the first time this season for some wings and Fiddlehead. Old Snowshed crossover to Dream Maker was our favorite today.

Grade B-

Quote of the Day - Curse of the Old Snowdon lift continues as it seems to be impossible to get a ride without the lift stopping at least once.

Morning Walk.jpg Morning Walk Lower Ridge Run.jpg Lower Ridge Run Crossover Tunnel.jpg Crossover Tunnel

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If anyone would like to take some runs together, look for a tall guy in red coat, black pants and blue Lange's at the demo area.
I’ll keep an eye out. Look for a shortish guy in orange and blue with this helmet:

Attachments

• C1E75CEB-A070-4CDF-865B-A69B856DC931.jpeg
    C1E75CEB-A070-4CDF-865B-A69B856DC931.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 16

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ikon passholders - you still need to get a RFID card before hitting the slopes, correct? Where does one do this? Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, a quick search of the forums did not turn up anything.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ikon passholders - you still need to get a RFID card before hitting the slopes, correct? Where does one do this? Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, a quick search of the forums did not turn up anything.
Your ikon pass is your pass. Put it in a left side pocket by itself and go right to the lift.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Your ikon pass is your pass. Put it in a left side pocket by itself and go right to the lift.

Ok, cool. I am pretty sure that earlier in the season Ikon passholders needed to make an extra stop to pick up a RFID card before they could access the slopes. Glad to hear this in no longer then case.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Really, I've already figured out how to hold out my arm to activate the gate before I reach it. So I glide through slowly without stopping on a slow day. Beep away!
I’m talking about the noise it makes when it lets you through. I feel bad for the gate attendant at the gondola who has to hear it thousands of times a day.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m talking about the noise it makes when it lets you through. I feel bad for the gate attendant at the gondola who has to hear it thousands of times a day.
One can only hope it's like living next to the airport and you stop hearing it after a time.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 13 Dec Killington Report
Happy Birthday to both Killington Resort and my Mom. More clouds then sun on a balmy morning with a summit temperature of 18 degrees. Started the day riding the Blue Bubble with some fast Chute and Bunny laps. Folks are really going to enjoy the new Snowdon layout. Snow was a groomed carving delightful surface. Hopped into the box for our new favorite run of Bear Trax to Skye Tunnel to Dream Maker. Work continues on the South Ridge Quad with visible daily progress. Wildfire snow making is off as the groomers should bury the canyon that resulted from a water leak. We gathered mid afternoon in the Mahogany Ridge Pub to sing Happy 60th Birthday to resort. The cake was cut and enjoyed by the loyal fans.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - Killington was only 20 years old when I first got here.

60th Birthday.jpg Gondola Cake South Ridge Quad.jpg South Ridge Quad New Canyon.jpg Wildfire Canyon

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking at the forecast for later this week (friday/saturday), it looks to be very windy - 49 to 59 mph with gusts up to 74 mph per the Killington website. While I am very much of the attitude that you ski the conditions you are given, and that you never cancel a trip due to weather, those numbers did make me sit up and take notice...the predicted wind seems very altitude dependent, Clicking around the NWS forecast I see that down at 2000 ft the wind is predicted to be much less. Are there parts of Killington known to be particularly exposed the the wind that would be likely to be on wind hold in these sort of conditions? Obviously the weather in the mountains can be very changeable, just looking for some general guidance from the experts here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Looking at the forecast for later this week (friday/saturday), it looks to be very windy - 49 to 59 mph with gusts up to 74 mph per the Killington website. While I am very much of the attitude that you ski the conditions you are given, and that you never cancel a trip due to weather, those numbers did make me sit up and take notice...the predicted wind seems very altitude dependent, Clicking around the NWS forecast I see that down at 2000 ft the wind is predicted to be much less. Are there parts of Killington known to be particularly exposed the the wind that would be likely to be on wind hold in these sort of conditions? Obviously the weather in the mountains can be very changeable, just looking for some general guidance from the experts here.

Thanks.
Can't answeryour specific question but the mountain wind forecast this sat for Okemo was amazingly wrong. They were predicting 25mph winds and gusts of 35-40mph. Wasn't very windy at all. Odd.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I check the NWS forecast regularly and find the wind forecast to not be very accurate for what you will experience on the slopes at Killington. I suspect it is a prediction of what you would find at that altitude with no mountains around. I generally ignore it. The biggest concern for late this week (Friday into Saturday) is the warm temps and the liquid precip that is expected along with them.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, rain seems to follow me wherever I go when I am skiing. Sorry to be bringing Mid-Atlantic weather with me up north. The dates we are skiing are fixed, so it is definitely an "it is what it is" type of situation. I guess the plan is to check the report for any wind holds on Friday morning and if it seems too extreme we may head south to Stratton (which is also on the Ikon pass) from our hotel in Rutland. Hopefully it won't come to that.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington lifts fare well in the wind. Over at Pico their Summit chair is normally the first to go on wind hold. When that happens Killington will honor Pico tickets for that day. We have the K1 gondola and new bubble chair to help you stay a little drier in the rain. Changing gloves at lunch helps. The mountain warmed up last Saturday, World Cup Sunday and this upcoming warmup. With lots of snowpack on the ground we should be fine.

Today the wind gusts were is the 50 mph range and I hardly seem to notice the wind at all. We tailgated outside just after noontime. Love the fact that we have the cold stay for so many days this early season.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online