• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I should try to figure out how many days I used on my Killington spring passes. My first instinct is to save my ikon days for spring, but realistically my average is probably closer to 5. So I have 2 free midwinter days.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Better bet is to burn all your Killington days mid-winter and hit Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth for spring.
That's my plan.
My plan is to get in as many New England days as possible without using any vacation days.
I am toying with the idea of replacing the spring A-Basin week with somewhere Ikon-ic, though.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My plan is to get in as many New England days as possible without using any vacation days.
I am toying with the idea of replacing the spring A-Basin week with somewhere Ikon-ic, though.

Come join us at Squaw and/or Mammoth. We plan to be there probably from Mid April into May.
Mammoth was really good in May when we left last May. Much better than A-Basin where we meet up with you.
We could have easily done couple more weeks in Mammoth with no issues. Got a bit home sick after 4+ months on the road.

Reactions: mdf

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Any suggestions on affordable (cheap) weekend lodging for someone (me) who wants to buy the spring pass and ski those bumps? I'll be on a small budget, wanting to get as much time on Superstar etc as possible once the pass is available. Mid-week lodging would work as well. I won't be coming up and staying, but driving up to ski and stay a night or tow, then leaving and coming up again to repeat that -- every weekend till the snow melts.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For weekends, we normally drive up from the Stratton area.
If we are staying for the week, Mamie usually book us at Cedarbrook or North Star Inn.

Cedarbrook is at the intersection of Rt 100 & Rt 4.
North Star is on the Killington access road.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any suggestions on affordable (cheap) weekend lodging from you Killington regulars for someone (me) who wants to buy the spring pass and ski those bumps? I'll be on a small budget, wanting to get as much time on Superstar etc as possible once the pass is available. Mid-week lodging would work as well. I won't be coming up and staying, but driving up to ski and stay a night or tow, then leaving and coming up again to repeat that -- every weekend till the snow melts.

Pick up the Northeast Traveler coupon book (at the welcome to VT stations) the Days Inn (was red roof) w/free breakfast, pool, dry sauna, frig in room, ask for room on the back side is quietest. there's also Holiday inn across the street (restaurant $ for b'fast) there's a very nice hannaford w/sushi, and other made to order food if you want to eat in your rm, there's a 99 restaurant and a Denny's next door too, Located very close to the intersection of 7 and 4, 25min to K-ton, 30 to Okemo, There's other hotels in the coupon book further up 7, .

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually go on Booking.com and take whatever pops up cheapest.
I think @Phelmut belongs to a ski club with a house about a half hour from Killington -- maybe Rochester VT? -- really reaching for memory here. It might even be worth joining.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, central jersey ski club has a nice lodge on 100 about 25 minutes to Killington and 40 minutes to Sugarbush. Membership is $75/year and then lodging is $25/night for members and $40/night for non-members (must be accompanied by a member). They also run 4-5 bus trips per year. You can get discount vouchers to a few places and also are eligible for the many ski council days discount tix. Last year the savings on 2 ski council days exceeded the cost of membership.

Coed rooms with bunks and there are separate mens/womens bathrooms. Large kitchen with 2 stoves, fridges, dishwashers and a big common area with a fireplace. No TV and spotty internet and cellphone service. Lots of good people and most members are in the 50 yo + range so no crazy parties anymore if that's your thing.
centraljerseyskiclub.com

Edited to add that you don't have to attend meetings or be in the NJ area as we have members as far away as Florida that join for the lodge benefits alone.

Last edited:

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I'm looking at the new trail map. Does anyone know if there will be access to the new South Ridge lift from the top of Bear Mtn? The Map doesn't show a clear connection.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Can anyone give me some advice on Pico lodging. I have four families (2 adults and 2 kids each) and we are looking for two separate 3 bedroom units. It appears that the townhomes and most of the condos on or near the mountain are not managed by Pico/Killington. Is there a good rental company that manages and rents these properties? Doesn't need to be Ski In Ski Out, but walkable.

Thanks

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts Nov 8 Killington Report
Morning cloud cover made for so nice framing of Mt Monadnock off in the horizon. Summit temperature of 27 degrees with the guns on as Killington returns back into Winter mode. Felt good to be back on the snow after our warm vacation break. Lots of chunky funky refrozen bits of the winter pavement had been tilled up by the groomers. Milestone of three weeks of lift operation was reached with little fanfare. Winter weather in the foreseeable should allow for some terrain expansion. Hiked out the walkway after the morning laps with a smile on my face.

Early Season Grade C+

Quote of the Day - Winter tailgating were the beer gets colder with every sip.

Mt Monadnock.jpg Mt Monadnock Upper East Fall (2).jpg Upper East Fall

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@LiquidFeet cheap lodging on access road for us has been hillside inn. Particularly cheap in the spring. We usually stay for the weekend for about $80. Further up access road is butternut inn and pancake house and northstar. Jim has a great breakfast at butternut. Cheapest though is hillside. We get the spring pass and are at killington every weekend. Last season we skied till may 6th. Hope to see you there one of the weekends.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
hillside inn.
Yes, I've stayed there several times on the 'what does booking.com throw at me?' strategy. I think it is family owned and operating (guessing from the people at the desk). I wonder if you could negotiate a bulk rate for multiple weekends,..

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts Nov 14 Killington Report
Sunshine against the blue background gave the illusion of warmth on a cold wintery day. Summit temperature of 15 degrees made for great snow production all over the mountain. First day of top to bottom skiing as we put the early silly season to bed and dove into the with the real winter season. The initial run thru the Mixing Bowl Mole Hole followed up with a ride back up to the top in one of the brand new gondis. We had a great time making up captions to go with the many pictures of unacceptable gondi acts posted on the new boxes. Entrance to the tunnel became a huge icy curve making for a fast slingshot release into the tube. Fun getting new toys at the winter playground. Leftover powder was getting a tad stale as patrol dropped ropes on Upper Ridge Run and FIS.

Grade B-

Quote of the Day - Today was like a cold hug from a dear old friend.

New Gondola Car.jpg New Cabins Tunnel Ahead.jpg The Tube Mid Chute (1).jpg Mid Chute

Sponsor

Staff online