• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really want to go skiing this weekend but we promised my friend's 85 year old parents we'd work on their house in Vermont. They need help staining the deck and doing yard work. We have stayed at their house in southern Vermont for years. Mrs. S always cooked these fabulous meals for us and they are like grandparents to us so that's what we'l do this weekend. My heart will be skiing though.............................

Next year though I'm there opening weekend........ I'm not walking down/up those stairs from the summit to the Northridge chair though in ski boots so I'm making a plan to bring a small backpack with my ski boots strapped over my shoulder. I don't normally ski with a pack but I'll bring a small one to stash my sneakers while I'm skiing. I love Rime and Reason and often ski there during the regular season anyway. I only wish that trail to the right would be open. Don't know the name, just know there's no snomaking, they don't groom it and it's hella fun.
I think you are talking about Ridge Run. Although listed as black, it seemed more like an ungroomed blue to me, but I had a lot of fun on it when it was open. I will be heading back there this year to work on the lessons from last year.

I was in choir practice last night checking my phone when I saw the announcement. I immediately started thinking through my work for the next few days and this weekend, not going to happen this year. A long drive for two short runs, maybe next year!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think you are talking about Ridge Run. Although listed as black, it seemed more like an ungroomed blue to me, but I had a lot of fun on it when it was open. I will be heading back there this year to work on the lessons from last year.

I was in choir practice last night checking my phone when I saw the announcement. I immediately started thinking through my work for the next few days and this weekend, not going to happen this year. A long drive for two short runs, maybe next year!

That's it, Ridge Run. Someone told me it's not really a black but just marked as such because they don't make snow there and don't groom it so perhaps it's a harder trail for someone who's truly looking for a blue trail. Either way that is one fun run that's for sure. I know as much as I'd love to be there this weekend I can't but soon enough.......... it is a long season so I usually try to ease into it at a moderate pace.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just leave your pack at the bottom of the stairs. No one will bother them. Plus you can leave a snack so you don't have to climb back to the lodge.

Great idea. I guess I'm always hesitant to do that because I'm not always trusting of people but I think I'll try it :) A snack is an awesome idea as well because skiing makes me so hungry ;)

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know this is the Killington thread, but any thoughts on Killington vs. Sunday River on Saturday? I'm curious how snow conditions, amount of vertical, lift speed, etc. varies between the two? I've never done early season at either. I was considering Killington, but I would rather use up an Ikon day at Sunday River than Killington because there's a good chance that I don't even use up all 5 days at Sunday River all season.

I know it's supposed to rain Saturday afternoon and it's warm, but warm snow honestly may be more fun than icy hardpack :).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Early season Killington is actually quite good. I mean I usually wait to go til it's top to bottom but I will say Killington does an amazing job at snowmaking and blows an unbelievable amount of snow in a short period of time. I've always been pleasantly surprised but again never been to Killington THIS early season. Maybe wait til others report after tomorrow and go from there? I've never been to SR so I can't speak to what early seasons are like there. If you will have a chance to go to SR when you don't normally then go there so you can tick off a day or two. Killington's a lot closer and will only get better as the days/weeks go on.

Reactions: RJS

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Early season Killington is actually quite good. I mean I usually wait to go til it's top to bottom but I will say Killington does an amazing job at snowmaking and blows an unbelievable amount of snow in a short period of time. I've always been pleasantly surprised but again never been to Killington THIS early season. Maybe wait til others report after tomorrow and go from there? I've never been to SR so I can't speak to what early seasons are like there. If you will have a chance to go to SR when you don't normally then go there so you can tick off a day or two. Killington's a lot closer and will only get better as the days/weeks go on.

Kmart opens tomorrow for Season Pass, Express Card, Beast365 and Ikon pass holders, and Saturday for the general public.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Kmart opens tomorrow for Season Pass, Express Card, Beast365 and Ikon pass holders, and Saturday for the general public.

Correct!!! I meant if RJS was on the fence about where to go for the weekend he can get a report from those that go tomorrow to give him a sense a what the conditions might be like for saturday, etc. Then he can decide to head to K'ton or SR.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
If anybody here is planning on going to either Killington or Sunday River tomorrow please considering posting about your experience and conditions in here :)!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would say you need to come to the darkside and get a Killington season pass, but you just bought a condo somewhere else... :nono:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I would say you need to come to the darkside and get a Killington season pass, but you just bought a condo somewhere else... :nono:

Fair point. If we only skied at Killington then that would be more tempting. We did think about getting a killington condo but I'm much happier with a trailside condo at magic mountain though, more money in our pockets too. We work at Bromley so having a condo in Londonderry puts us right in the middle of all the places we ski so made the most sense right now.

Thought about getting a Killington season pass but right now doing the buy one-get one in the early season, working at bromely for most of season and then getting the killington spring pass works for us. I might drop Mount Snow for a pass next year and get passes at Magic and an IKON pass, that will give us more killington time.

We always talk about the all season killington pass that gives us mountain biking too, now that we have the condo that might be a contender for next season as well.

So many exciting possibilities.

:beercheer:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fair point. If we only skied at Killington then that would be more tempting. We did think about getting a killington condo but I'm much happier with a trailside condo at magic mountain though, more money in our pockets too. We work at Bromley so having a condo in Londonderry puts us right in the middle of all the places we ski so made the most sense right now.

Thought about getting a Killington season pass but right now doing the buy one-get one in the early season, working at bromely for most of season and then getting the killington spring pass works for us. I might drop Mount Snow for a pass next year and get passes at Magic and an IKON pass, that will give us more killington time.

We always talk about the all season killington pass that gives us mountain biking too, now that we have the condo that might be a contender for next season as well.

So many exciting possibilities.

:beercheer:
I don't have nor could afford a slopeside condo, but the short bus ride to and from Snowshed works for me and runs regular so the wait time is short. I tried the ski home trail last year and it was more like cross-country than downhill.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I don't have nor could afford a slopeside condo, but the short bus ride to and from Snowshed works for me and runs regular so the wait time is short. I tried the ski home trail last year and it was more like cross-country than downhill.

We could never afford a slopeside condo in Killington. While that wasn't what we were looking for it was a pretty exciting idea to live in one at such a fun place like Magic. The price difference between an off mountain condo in Killington was staggering compared to what we found at Magic so couldn't ignore that. I figured it was "close enough" to killington so it'll work just fine. Sounds like your setup works great, nice to not have to mess with parking, just shuttle away. I really do like Killington a lot as last season we spent more time there than prior seasons. I feel I have a good sense of all their blues and am starting to get into the blacks. It's a great mountain and I really like the terrain. I've met with and skied with some awesome folks there and made some friends so it's all good. Umbrella bar is fun ;)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We could never afford a slopeside condo in Killington. While that wasn't what we were looking for it was a pretty exciting idea to live in one at such a fun place like Magic. The price difference between an off mountain condo in Killington was staggering compared to what we found at Magic so couldn't ignore that. I figured it was "close enough" to killington so it'll work just fine. Sounds like your setup works great, nice to not have to mess with parking, just shuttle away. I really do like Killington a lot as last season we spent more time there than prior seasons. I feel I have a good sense of all their blues and am starting to get into the blacks. It's a great mountain and I really like the terrain. I've met with and skied with some awesome folks there and made some friends so it's all good. Umbrella bar is fun ;)
Maybe we'll meet up in early season before you head to Bromley and Mt Snow. I'm trying to figure how I can swing a trip before Thanksgiving and we have a trip planned for the Test Fest.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Maybe we'll meet up in early season before you head to Bromley and Mt Snow. I'm trying to figure how I can swing a trip before Thanksgiving and we have a trip planned for the Test Fest.

That would be cool. As of right now we'll be at Killington over thanksgiving and skiing thanksgiving and the friday after, at world cup saturday. Killington first weekend of December which is 11/30-12/2. Trying to see what we can squeeze in for November, either November 9-11 and/or November 16-18.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 19 Oct Killington Report
Summit clouds gave way to a sunshine soaked day. Gondola line was rewarded with a early start at 9:30 as first day buffs were out. Mike Solimano was welcoming the giddy skiers with many retuning the love. Quick trip down the Peak walkway had us on the snow for the first time since June. Snow surface on Rime improved quickly with the skier traffic. Warming temps soon allowed the terrain to bump up. We hiked back up to the peak lodge for the lunch before our afternoon session. Morning lift line was gone as many made it a short day. Lots of fun bumps to play for the later day laps. As first days go this was one of the better ones.

Early Season Grade - B

Quote the Day - This is my favorite day of the year.

Super Start.jpg Super Start Upper East Fall (1).jpg Upper East Fall Mike is feeling better.jpg Mike S is feeling better

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January