• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts Oct 13 Killington Report

Cold moisture falling from the sky was painting the mountain peaks a lovely white. Total of three inches of winter were measured at the stake. Mountain Bikers were the only official ones to get first tracks but I do know of couple friends that snuck in a few turns on the snow covered grass. First snowball of the year flew across the Peak Bar as we headed over to the window to watch outdoor wedding guests turn a little pink. First snow on the peak has a magical feel even without the slopes open for sliding. Local stoke was high with many guessing the opening day may be less than a week away. Party to roll out the new 4241 magazine and celebrate the summer bike season was a blast with lots of free food and tons of giveaways. The message that Winter season is almost ready to kick off was quite clear to all.

Peak Bar Saying - Last place for drinks before heaven in the East.

Bikes only.jpg Bikes Only Top of the World.jpg Happy GIS wedding white.jpg Wedding White

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's awesome! I am happy to see someone making snow here in on the East Coast :golfclap:.

I am a bit surprised because it looks like the freezing level will be above the summit on Friday/Saturday with rain on Saturday. Couldn't that wash away a lot of the snow?

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
So does this mean a Friday open?
Locals are guessing yes. Third day after snowmaking starts is typically opening day. One year they opened Rime after 16 hours under the gun. The snow was very sticky and grabby. They will groom if they have time ensuring a firm surface.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Locals are guessing yes. Third day after snowmaking starts is typically opening day. One year they opened Rime after 16 hours under the gun. The snow was very sticky and grabby. They will groom if they have time ensuring a firm surface.

Let's just say I was making more of a statement than posing a question ogwink

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Let's just say I was making more of a statement than posing a question ogwink
Sorry as I though you had a real question rather than a snarky comment. My bad. Forget you are one of the Killington haters. Local stoke reaches to a feverish level with the first snow of the season paired with the roar of snow guns. Buzz from block party on Monday where all our winter friends gathered for one last time before the season added to the excitement level. Folks posting pics and video of sick grass skiing just gets everyone around here worked up for opening day.

My Statement - Love living in the land of misfit toys!

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry as I though you had a real question rather than a snarky comment. My bad. Forget you are one of the Killington haters. Local stoke reaches to a feverish level with the first snow of the season paired with the roar of snow guns. Buzz from block party on Monday where all our winter friends gathered for one last time before the season added to the excitement level. Folks posting pics and video of sick grass skiing just gets everyone around here worked up for opening day.

My Statement - Love living in the land of misfit toys!

Not a Killington hater - just prefer to ski elsewhere. Regardless, I would put my money on this wknd. If not then someone else might open first ;)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Brought the skis home from storage last weekend so my Dynastars are ready to roll. Well still need to send them off to the spa to get tuned up but other than that I'm ready. We have a bunch of buy one get one vouchers for Killington so once we close on the condo every weekend will be play time. Not sure I can pull off coming up during the week as work is a bit nuts but my eye is on the snow report. I'm ready for early season Killington. I am however, avoiding east falls for a little while until more terrain opens. As GIS told me I need to make peace with that trail but I'm going to be a lot pickier on the day(s) I go down it.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington plans to open Friday. IKON passes are in for day one. Here are the details

Winter starts when The Beast says so and we say it starts Friday! Our heroic snowmaking team has been working hard in the North Ridge area, and we’re pleased to announce that the first turns in Eastern North America will be made by our Season Pass and Express Card holders on Friday, October 19.

The K-1 Express Gondola will begin loading at 10:00 a.m. with the last ride up available at 3:00 p.m. Skiers and riders will walk down the Peak Walkway to access open terrain in the North Ridge Area before heading back up the Peak Walkway to download the K-1 Express Gondola. The last run down Rime will be at 3:30 p.m.

The Snowshed Sales Center will be open for RFID ONE PASS pick up Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.; Friday 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.; Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.; or Sunday 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. K-1 Guest Services will be open 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Friday-Sunday but due to limited processing stations we recommend ONE PASSES be picked up at Snowshed.

Season Pass and Express Card holders will be treated to a free lunch at either the K-1 Lodge, Peak Lodge or Dog Sled on Friday. Additionally, pass holders will be treated to a complimentary opening day gift while supplies last.

Additional Details:

• No lift tickets or scenic gondola ride tickets are being sold, and no vouchers may be redeemed on Friday. We will open to the general public on Saturday, October 20.
  • Open terrain is for intermediate and above level skiers and riders only. No beginner terrain is available, and snowmaking will take place as temperatures permit.
  • Express Card holders will be charged $25 for the day of skiing.
  • Ikon Pass holders are welcome to join us on Friday but must pick up a ticket at the ticket window; Ikon Passes will not be direct-to-lift at this time.
  • We plan to operate on a daily basis moving forward, conditions permitting. Stay tuned right here on the conditions report for updates.
General Public Opening:

We will be open to the general public beginning Saturday, October 20. The K-1 Express Gondola will begin loading at 9:00 a.m. daily with the last ride up available at 3:00 p.m. Skiers and riders will walk down the Peak Walkway to access open terrain in the North Ridge Area before heading back up the Peak Walkway to download the K-1 Express Gondola. The last run down Rime will be at 3:30 p.m.

Additional Details:

• Lift ticket rates beginning Saturday will be $59 for adults (19-64); $45 for youth (7-18); and $50 for seniors (65-79). Ages 6 & under and 80 & over ski free. All lift tickets must be loaded onto a ONE PASS, our RFID card, which are available for $5 but may be reloaded for future visits.
  • Open terrain will be for intermediate and above level skiers and riders only. No beginner terrain will be available, and snowmaking will take place as temperatures permit.
  • Ikon Pass holders must pick up a ticket at the ticket window; Ikon Passes will not be direct-to-lift at this time.
  • We plan to operate on a daily basis moving forward, conditions permitting. Stay tuned right here on the conditions report for updates.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am however, avoiding east falls for a little while until more terrain opens. As GIS told me I need to make peace with that trail but I'm going to be a lot pickier on the day(s) I go down it.

Really no easy way to get to the Canyon quad. East Fall is probably the easiest way. :eek:
Take your Atomic in there. East Fall will feel completely different. :yahoo:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Really no easy way to get to the Canyon quad. East Fall is probably the easiest way. :eek:
Take your Atomic in there. East Fall will feel completely different. :yahoo:

I'm stoked about that. Im not bothered by the steepness of east falls but i was taken out bad by an out of control boarder early last season so the run gives me a bad taste in my mouth. GIS and Mike took me back down there last spring so i looked it right in the face and started to shake those demons off :). I have been down lower cascade but not early season. I'm in between redsters at the moment. In the meantime i have some dynastar omeglass SL skis that i'm confident can do the job.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had received an email saying they were mailing out the new RFID passes, but the announcement of opening says to pick them up at Snowshed. I won't be able to make it up there for awhile (maybe pre-Thanksgiving?), so wonder if they will be mailing them out after this weekend.

I've skied down lower East Falls several times, only one with "style". But I was on my 88 mm all-mountain skis. Maybe next time I need my Hero LT's!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The run away skier/boarders tended to scrape all the snow off down the middle. The bottom of the run benches out long before merging with Double Dipper. The out of control skier/boarder use that as part of their speed control strategy. Think high speed runaway truck lane out west.
The skier's right is a bit funky. Some off camber turns.
I like the bumped up skier's left on East Fall. Bumps are your friend. :D

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The run away skier/boarders tended to scrape all the snow off down the middle. The bottom of the run benches out long before merging with Double Dipper. The out of control skier/boarder use that as part of their speed control strategy. Think high speed runaway truck lane out west.
The skier's right is a bit funky. Some off camber turns.
I like the bumped up skier's left on East Fall. Bumps are your friend. :D

You aren't even kidding........... As I was making my way down lower east falls last early season I was eye balling that bumped up skiers left area big time. At the time I wasn't that comfortable in bumps but the coverage looked fantastic but I was afraid. Last season I worked VERY hard on becoming comfortable in bumps. I think I'm going to be all over those bumps this season, if anything it's a more direct path to survival. Besides it'll test the agility of my Dynastars :D

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I really want to go skiing this weekend but we promised my friend's 85 year old parents we'd work on their house in Vermont. They need help staining the deck and doing yard work. We have stayed at their house in southern Vermont for years. Mrs. S always cooked these fabulous meals for us and they are like grandparents to us so that's what we'l do this weekend. My heart will be skiing though.............................

Next year though I'm there opening weekend........ I'm not walking down/up those stairs from the summit to the Northridge chair though in ski boots so I'm making a plan to bring a small backpack with my ski boots strapped over my shoulder. I don't normally ski with a pack but I'll bring a small one to stash my sneakers while I'm skiing. I love Rime and Reason and often ski there during the regular season anyway. I only wish that trail to the right would be open. Don't know the name, just know there's no snomaking, they don't groom it and it's hella fun.

Sponsor

Staff online