• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Killington 19/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GIS 3Nov19 Killington Report
The one day of the year that captures the excitement of Christmas morning was here. The loyal and faithful joined by some fresh new faces grabbed the Day One buffs being handed out before piling into the gondola cabins. Thick manmade snow surface felt good under my feet. Riding in comfort on the new quad chair will improve the early season days. Music and Champagne in the lifeline was a nice touch. Skiing pace remaindered fairly sane considering the good sized crowd. Felt good to get the first day box checked off.
Early Season Grade B-
Quote of the Day - Glad that I still remember how to ski.

View attachment 83662 View attachment 83663 View attachment 83664
I recall you saying that you had been posting less and less reports last year. I hope you keep these up, you have a great way with words and photos to match!

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
The resort has mentioned on Facebook that they work on expanding the number of runs.

We are entertaining an idea to drive to Killingon next week. Hope they will have more runs open!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hopefully soon. The first thing they'll do is make snow on the area so you can ski down to the north ridge quad, then you'll just have to walk up the stairs. Next step after that I believe is to expand in to the snowdon area providing top to bottom access. Hope it stays cold enough to keep this moving along.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
The resort has mentioned on Facebook that they work on expanding the number of runs.

We are entertaining an idea to drive to Killingon next week. Hope they will have more runs open!
Guns are being turned back on after a short break. Solid snowmaking temps for the next 10 days. First decent snowstorm Thursday into Friday. Next week will be rapid expansion mode as well as making snow on the World Cup Course.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
GIS 8Nov19 Killington Report
Ullr flipped on the winter switch with a half foot of new snow blanketing the mountain. Summit temperature of 12 degrees only fueled the morning throng. Slide onto Heavenly Reverse for the tight pack stairway descent. Families with hooky playing kids in tow joined the many getting in their first turns of the season. Lots of loose soft to push around. Upper East Fall was the best bump run with normal early season mid slope water hazard still in play. New Quad loading providing to be a math challenge to some. Lots of snowmaking across the high ground will help to open more terrain for the weekend.

Early Season Grade B

Quote of the Day - You can't teach an old triple new quad tricks.

IMG_6231.jpg Upper Rime IMG_6248.jpg Upper East Fall
IMG_6252.jpg Peak walkway

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks like a great day. Those bumps on upper east falls looks great. That triple was never meant for 3 full sized adults so I'm really looking forward to riding that quad. Thinking about making our early season appearance at Killington Saturday the 16th. Hoping for top to bottom by then. Love your daily reports GIS. Maybe we'll see you in Bay one :)

Last edited:
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
GIS 12Nov19 Killington Report
Delightful gray cold start with a winter storm that produced minimal new snow. Summit temperature of 12 degrees perfectly preserving our valuable skiing surface. Followed our local crew into the Mendon Boomerang as we lapped the box over and over. Felt good to stretch out the legs on some full length runs. Natural snow cover too thin in almost every spot we poked into with fresh evergreen blowdown on Steel Panther. Snow mounds on Mouse Run and The Bunny Trap are draining and should be groomed soon. Snowdon Triple was being prepped as it will soon join in on the fun.

Early season grade B-

Quote of the Day - Top to bottom laps are the best.

IMG_6256.jpg Mendon Boomerang IMG_6266.jpg Middle Chute IMG_6272.jpg Lower Bunny

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Not day one. Also not K. :)

Am patrol.

The photo deserves to be properly published.

49863AED-0315-43B6-94A2-8383E672AA1C.jpeg

Past attempts at finding evidence that Antman is actually @Brian Finch have ended in abject failure.

13D517D4-2D24-4784-8F71-D34DDFDAF9AF.jpeg

https://www.umass.edu/ials/afm

It’s not direct evidence. But, are those his skis? Either way, this is a milestone... sorry, a nanograin worthy of a Nobel Prize.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Ok, it's been a decade or two since I skied Killington more than a few days a year, but
?:huh:
The Town of Mendon has most of it's acreage trapped in the Green Mountain National Forest. When you make that first big turn on Great Northern you cross the Mendon Town line. Ski Patrol shack in the Highest structure in my town. This turn was previously called Boomerang. When I throw my thoughts into words obscure facts like this sneak in. Welcome to the way I see the mountain.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
GIS 15Nov19 Killington Report
Sunshine beat away the early clouds making for rare non gray start. Trail count jumped up to 20 with skiing from two different peaks. Settled onto the Snowdon triple that fit like an old shoe bringing back that old Killington feel. Cold temps have allowed the snowmakers to open 10 times the acreage we had on opening day. Super nice to have a little elbow room. Natural snow on Upper Ridge Run was fun but will not hold well with traffic. Trio of beginners needed rescuing as they had ignored the warning of No Beginner Terrain. My new hero is one of our 100 club skiers that was out today after getting a couple of new heart valves and a bypass back in July.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - I remember being able to bend a ski.

IMG_6691.jpg Snowdon Triple IMG_6693.jpg Upper Downdraft IMG_6697.jpg No Beginner Terrain

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I love downdraft. Years ago (ok, decades) that was the trail they stockpiled snow on and kept open as long as possible into the spring. I fondly remember one spring day when it was a series of stairsteps -- flat, drop, flat, drop, etc -- all the way from the cascade crossover to the runout.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
looking good up there. Time to prep gear for a trip to test my new hip soon.

You'll love it, Phelmut. My wife got a new hip in April of 2018; the 18/19 ski season she skied 40 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online