• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Killington 19/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
More 6 than 8 of medium density that got thicker as the fog chewed it on. Had to ski flat to avoid the ice under the powder.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Well, I remember it being Sherburne. You'll have to ask @KingGrump if you want first-hand info about skiing before 1800...
I spent a few days there every year around Labor Day most years from around 1986 to the late 1990s. I didn't realize the town is no longer called Shelburne.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I spent a few days there every year around Labor Day most years from around 1986 to the late 1990s. I didn't realize the town is no longer called Shelburne.
The town name of Killington was changed to Shelburne back in the late 1700's. Was changed back a few years ago when AAA was going to drop the Killington name from their data base.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Actually the name was Shurburne. Shelburne is up by Burlington and confusion between the two very similar names was one of the main reasons given for the change to Killington.
Makes sense. I was gonna say, I grew up in Shelburne and it is on the lake and just south of Burlington (South Burlington actually) not near Killington!

Article regarding the renaming:

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Dozen or so cars properly spaced outside the closed gate. Three snowboarders had setup a single umbrella base camp. Sad quiet day marks the 2020 BMMC.

IMG_7265.jpg IMG_7264.jpg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Received the following E-mail today. Still a ray of hope of lift served turns on Superstar this May or June.

I wanted to take a moment to congratulate you again for joining the “official” Killington 100 Day Club. Our winter our season was suspended indefinitely at 133 days, but you still managed to make it out for 100 or more of those days, and I applaud your dedication. Because of the early suspension, we are welcoming anyone with 70 or more days into the club this season, but we are working on a plan to further recognize the 71 guests who actually made it to 100 days, yourself included.

We still don’t know exactly what the future holds but we are working toward reopening this spring, hopefully for more skiing and snowboarding on Superstar, and definitely for summer activities. I hope you’ll stay tuned for further updates, and I look forward to having you return to Killington to share your enthusiasm for the mountain, and our resort, once we are able to reopen.

We’ll work on a plan for distributing your 100 Day Club hat, if you haven’t already received it, just as soon as we can. Until then, I hope you and your family are safe and healthy, and I look forward to seeing you back at Killington soon.

Sincerely,
Mike Solimano
President and General Manager
Killington Resort and Pico Mountain

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an Ikon pass for this current season (2019-2020) and I haven't used any of my 5 Killington days. If they open at the end of this month (May) I will do my best to use them up. It would be a great gift from the Covid19 Gods.

I bet I won't be alone, either.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Killington was to start demolition of the base lodge on 29 March 2020. Did that happen or was it postponed and what is the story of what is going on?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Killington was to start demolition of the base lodge on 29 March 2020. Did that happen or was it postponed and what is the story of what is going on?
From Killington's website:

Construction of the new K-1 base lodge is currently on hold due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 situation. Originally scheduled to open for the 2020-21 ski season, construction was suspended in March 2020 to comply with Vermont's Stay Home, Stay Safe order. The existing lodge was scheduled for removal/tear-down in late March of 2020, but with completion of the new lodge ahead of the coming ski season in jeopardy, the decision was made to keep the existing lodge in place for the coming ski season. Construction will resume during the 2020-21 winter, and removal of the original lodge is now scheduled for spring 2021.

Once complete, the new three-story lodge designed by Breadloaf will be over fifty percent larger than the existing lodge (going from 37,000 sq. ft. to 58,000 sq. ft.) and include a full-service bar, enhanced dining, additional seating, and unobstructed 180-degree views of the beautiful Vermont mountain landscape.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Construction of the new K-1 base lodge is currently on hold due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 situation. Originally scheduled to open for the 2020-21 ski season, construction was suspended in March 2020 to comply with Vermont's Stay Home, Stay Safe order. The existing lodge was scheduled for removal/tear-down in late March of 2020, but with completion of the new lodge ahead of the coming ski season in jeopardy, the decision was made to keep the existing lodge in place for the coming ski season. Construction will resume during the 2020-21 winter, and removal of the original lodge is now scheduled for spring 2021.

Once complete, the new three-story lodge designed by Breadloaf will be over fifty percent larger than the existing lodge (going from 37,000 sq. ft. to 58,000 sq. ft.) and include a full-service bar, enhanced dining, additional seating, and unobstructed 180-degree views of the beautiful Vermont mountain landscape.

Thanks.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have an Ikon pass for this current season (2019-2020) and I haven't used any of my 5 Killington days. If they open at the end of this month (May) I will do my best to use them up. It would be a great gift from the Covid19 Gods.

I bet I won't be alone, either.
I, for one, would consider the 5+ hour drive each way to make a few more turns this season but Im concerned about myself and others being disease vectors.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ogg,
Are you worried about giving it or getting it, or the stigma of an out of state person

Not sure what you mean by vector

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you worried about giving it or getting it, or the stigma of an out of state person
My wife had started visiting a "Killington Locals and Friends" Facebook site because she had volunteered to help out with revising the "Welcome" package with our condo board. Let's just say that it is now more a "Locals and Non-Locals" site with more than a little acrimony from the locals.

James

Out There
Instructor

I don’t know why they won’t be able to continue at some point. Stay at home orders are set to expire May 15 in VT.
VT is in good shape. Bringing in people from NY, MA, and CT is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online