• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Since I seem committed to owning more skis than days I ski in a year, I own or am very interested in the skis below. My interests range from Northeastern hardpack to Utah powder and a variety of terrain. If hardpack—>powder defines the extremes (if it’s all ice, I’ll stay home), I’m happy to pinch in the ends a bit, especially on the powder end since I don’t get out west often. For that reason, I don’t see owning above 100mm. Also, I value the versatility of a ski that can handle different conditions and terrain, but I like gear too much to stick with a one ski quiver, I’m finding.

Kästle MX74 - too one dimensional?

Kästle MX84 - versatile enough to carve hardpack and still deal with variable conditions/terrain?

Kästle MX89 - does it give up too much carving?

Kästle FX85 HP- I found this really fun - super easy to turn and still grippy - until the snow got chalky, at which point I wanted something a bit wider or longer.

Liberty Origin 90 (‘17-18) - does it add much quickness or feel relative to the 96?

Liberty Origin 96 (‘17-18) - would be my choice for a OSQ; it really does a lot of things quite well - turns easily, floats well, grips pretty strong. I can’t fault it, except maybe in the feel department, but it’s not bad there either.

Renoun Endurance 98 - what does it add/take away relative to the Origin 96?

Ok, so what are you picks for a 2, 3, or 4 ski quiver?

My thoughts right now:

2SQ - FX85 HP or MX84, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

3SQa - MX74, MX84 or FX85 HP, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

3SQb - MX84, FX85 HP, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

4SQ - MX74, FX85 HP, MX89, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Four ski:

Narrow/ice = cheater G’s like a Rossi Masters or Volkl racetiger.

Mixed conditions low tide = Stockli AX or Blizzard Latigo, Latigo is more playful.

Not super deep but soft Stockli Stormrider 95.

Super deep = BMX 105

Three ski:
Cheater GS
78-82 underfoot frontside oriented all mountain
105-115 pow ski

Two ski
Cheater GS
Stormrider 88 or 95

TS
F

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Interesting thoughts. Kind of sounds like four is too much since I have no interest in something carvier than an AX or MX74 and probably won’t go as wide as a BMX.

To me, the SR88 is the obvious ski to possibly substitute in. I didn’t get a chance to demo it, but the SR95 just didn’t do it for me. I didn’t feel like it excelled anywhere, despite its versatility; maybe if it had a more playful tail it would be the kind of versatility I value.

If I’m sticking to those listed, my big questions surround a) how much groomer/hardpack performance I miss and how much soft snow performance I pick up by going MX84 over MX74 (similar question, perhaps to AR over AX), and b) what does the Renoun Endurance do much better than the Origin, if anything?

Helpful to “talk it out.” Thanks. Already, I’m realizing that the MX89 probably doesn’t have a place for me, especially if I throw the SR88 in the mix. I need to get on that ski and see if I like it better than the FX.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since I seem committed to owning more skis than days I ski in a year, I own or am very interested in the skis below. My interests range from Northeastern hardpack to Utah powder and a variety of terrain. If hardpack—>powder defines the extremes (if it’s all ice, I’ll stay home), I’m happy to pinch in the ends a bit, especially on the powder end since I don’t get out west often. For that reason, I don’t see owning above 100mm. Also, I value the versatility of a ski that can handle different conditions and terrain, but I like gear too much to stick with a one ski quiver, I’m finding.

Kästle MX74 - too one dimensional?

Kästle MX84 - versatile enough to carve hardpack and still deal with variable conditions/terrain?

Kästle MX89 - does it give up too much carving?

Kästle FX85 HP- I found this really fun - super easy to turn and still grippy - until the snow got chalky, at which point I wanted something a bit wider or longer.

Liberty Origin 90 (‘17-18) - does it add much quickness or feel relative to the 96?

Liberty Origin 96 (‘17-18) - would be my choice for a OSQ; it really does a lot of things quite well - turns easily, floats well, grips pretty strong. I can’t fault it, except maybe in the feel department, but it’s not bad there either.

Renoun Endurance 98 - what does it add/take away relative to the Origin 96?

Ok, so what are you picks for a 2, 3, or 4 ski quiver?

My thoughts right now:

2SQ - FX85 HP or MX84, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

3SQa - MX74, MX84 or FX85 HP, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

3SQb - MX84, FX85 HP, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

4SQ - MX74, FX85 HP, MX89, Renoun Endurance 98 or Origin 96

I am confused, which skis do you own and which ar you interested in?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Mixed conditions low tide = Stockli AX or Blizzard Latigo, Latigo is more playful.

Have you been on Atomic's X9 Wide and X7 Wide? The MCLT slot just got two serious contenders for both strong and playful/teaching. I think any Rally/Titan/Laser AX shoppers should also demo these.

TS
F

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
I am confused, which skis do you own and which ar you interested in?
Own:
FX85 HP

MX74 - planned to use inserts in them, but since the skis are too thin, these are still unmounted. Recent four day trip to Killington/Sugarbush made me reconsider how much I’d use them.

Origin 96

Origin 90 - picked them up cheap at the same time as the 96. Mounted the 96 first and they proved far better for the east than I expected, so I still haven’t mounted the 90.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Own:
FX85 HP

MX74 - planned to use inserts in them, but since the skis are too thin, these are still unmounted. Recent four day trip to Killington/Sugarbush made me reconsider how much I’d use them.

Too thin or too narrow?

And the FX85 HP really covers the middle ground well, You really only need a 70's and 105-110 to cover all your bases.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
IMHO, I will replace the cheater GS with a pair of either FIS or non-FIS SL skis.
Something like the Stormrider 95 is almost as fun as cheater GS, but cannot resemble SL.

Four ski:

Narrow/ice = cheater G’s like a Rossi Masters or Volkl racetiger.

Not super deep but soft Stockli Stormrider 95.

Super deep = BMX 105

Three ski:
Cheater GS
78-82 underfoot frontside oriented all mountain
105-115 pow ski

Two ski
Cheater GS
Stormrider 88 or 95

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Have you been on Atomic's X9 Wide and X7 Wide?

Are the 'Wide' models actually a different model to a standard X9/X7? Or is it a naming convention in a different market? I can't find any mention of Atomic X9 Wide on the website...just the standard X9 with a 65mm waist

(amusing marketing hyperbole from Evo on the X9: "it bites in to hard groomed snow like a crocodile biting an antelopes leg"...unusual imagery for a ski review)

Anyway sorry back to the OP's conundrum...actually looking at that list, conundra

TS
F

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Too thin or too narrow?
Too thin. Kastle calls for 7.5mm drill bit and Binding Freedom/Quiver Killer requires 9mm or 9.5mm. I’ve contemplated grinding down the inserts, but I’m cautious.

Last edited:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Redster X9 “Widebody” is a new model for 2019-2020 season.

Are the 'Wide' models actually a different model to a standard X9/X7? Or is it a naming convention in a different market? I can't find any mention of Atomic X9 Wide on the website...just the standard X9 with a 65mm waist

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Too thin. Kastle calls for 7.5mm drill bit and Binding Freedom/Quiver Killer requires 9mm or 9.5mm. I’ve contemplated grinding down the inserts, but I’m cautious.

Ya, not all Kastle conform to the ISO standard. New, they come with stickers in the mount area warning you to use 7.5mm drill and shorter screws. Kastle bindings come with two sets of screws for that very reason.

If you grind down the inserts, do it before you mount them in the skis. They'll heat up and potentially ruin the ski. I'd mount them in a 2x4, grind them down, then use a dremel to cut the slot back into the top. I'd been meaning to reply to your other post but wasn't on a device suitable for the moment.

TS
F

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Ya, not all Kastle conform to the ISO standard. New, they come with stickers in the mount area warning you to use 7.5mm drill and shorter screws. Kastle bindings come with two sets of screws for that very reason.

If you grind down the inserts, do it before you mount them in the skis. They'll heat up and potentially ruin the ski. I'd mount them in a 2x4, grind them down, then use a dremel to cut the slot back into the top. I'd been meaning to reply to your other post but wasn't on a device suitable for the moment.
Very good advice! Thanks.

TS
F

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
And the FX85 HP really covers the middle ground well, You really only need a 70's and 105-110 to cover all your bases.
Yeah, I’m starting to feel like I’m just looking for a reason to buy the Renoun. The Origin 96 really are so good, though. They did exactly what I needed when the snow got a bit heavy for the FX85 HP, and I can tell they will easily extend into deeper snow.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

(amusing marketing hyperbole from Evo on the X9: "it bites in to hard groomed snow like a crocodile biting an antelopes leg"...unusual imagery for a ski review)

Anyway sorry back to the OP's conundrum...actually looking at that list, conundra

Different skis, 75mm wide, ofeeshally 2019/2020 but lots of people here have been on them by now as demos.

And ...that was good for a solid chortle.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
HI Freddo Bumps,
fun choices....!!!

I have spent quite a bit of time on the kastle's you mention so I'll weigh in for you there;
I wonder if you are putting more import on width then feel? The mx 84 and fx 85 are the same width but very different feel.

For a mostly on piste, on the snow skis, the MX 74 was much better for me then the 84, livelier, better length, a bit more snappy. For that niche, I think you will love that ski, and find it just as versatile off piste as mx84, and fine in the snow, as long it's not deep as well. The tip on that ski makes it much better off piste and in the snow than many other fun carvers, but plenty excitement as a groomer carver. Also, for that type of design, I don't think going wider helps, it just slows it down. You are still mostly on the snow, tip to tail contact, the width isn't the key.

The fx 85 is a great 3d snow ski with the no hook designs, great if you skiing steeps and big bumps in funky terrain off piste. Great on or in the snow, as long as float isn't the key. Not as rewarding as the other two on piste.

If it was me, i like your 3 ski set up, 74, 85hp, 96 origin.

Cheers!
W

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have to agree with Wade, the 74 is a very good hard snow ski and you have the soft snow options with the other two

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the issue with the 74 as a hard snow ski in the east, is when the snow is hard they typically try to break it up into chunks and skinny skis actually dont do to well on that.

Sponsor