• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kids Skis?

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had my 6 year old daughter on skis for the first time this year. She had 8 days skiing last year and progressed fairly well. Could make wedge turns and little hints of parallel are starting to take shape. She could come down all the green runs and a tried a few blues also.

Im looking to purchase her a pair next season. She had the Volkl “Chica” as a rental and seemed to do well on them, so I’m tempted to pick up a pair of those since I saw it work for her

I assume there’s not too much difference in ski technology at this age and ability. But is there any general ski type or features that I should look into? Or just get a pair that I know looks in in good shape?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was going to suggest a seasonal rental through a local shop but see you live in Atlanta. For my kids I just actively checked thrift stores and used gear online to make sure I had gear that currently fit my 2 kids along with the next size up.. looking for the next size (2 sizes bigger than current) as they grew out of the current.

I've heard mixed reviews about those Roces adjustable size ski boots but I'd have definitely been interested in giving those a try. Boots are what kids outgrow fastest and have the biggest impact on their ability to ski well and learn. A kid can do OK with skis or poles a little too small, but boots that are too small (or too big) are a show stopper.

Anyway, with seasonal rentals they will swap out gear if the kid outgrows it mid season as needed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Elan has one of the best toddler/junior skis with their U-Flex Technology which are softer than most other brands, this allows the ski to bend easier and helps the skier progress.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 7.0 bindings are close to pound heavier than the 4.5 so unless she's quite big for her age the 4.5 would be less expensive and easier on her legs. If you decide to buy used make sure they were recently tuned because after the cost of a grind and tune you might as well buy new.